Howes sound chipped bachmannMPV (Lok-sound V3.5 version)

big jim

• RMweb Gold

spent this evening fitting up my Bachmann MPV with a V3.5 sound chip courtesy of bryan at howes, took a few pics of the fit for anyone who may want to do it themselves...

037f2dda.jpg

here is the new unit, first time out of the box

31746aa2.jpg

the modules are already loose in the box on a plastic tray

13a65750.jpg

the unit with the modules removed showing the motor and circuit board

7ce84882.jpg

the circuit board with blanking plate

1f7a0ba7.jpg

the other side showing the speaker holes, no tags like the 47 on this one so the speaker leads need to be soldered to the board

8c4ca00b.jpg

076c00e3.jpg

underneath the unit you need to remove the plastic moulding representation of the engine to put a speaker in place

ca9dd6f5.jpg

you will also need to remove the spring on the inner end that it attached to the coupling

3e366121.jpg

underside of the unit with the moulding removed, speaker space is on the left

eac69f9a.jpg

inside theplastic moulding showing the holes for the sound to escape

here on it i noticed a potential problem.......

0959b468.jpg

this is where the speaker is supposed to be fitted, looking at it the speaker should be mounted facing upwards but this is where the problem lies, there are solder tags on both sides of the chassis which are for the motor pickups

4764e707.jpg

put a speaker in place and the metal housing sits right across the tags which i recon would cause a short on the chip and possibly blow it, i didnt want to find out!!

1efce254.jpg

the width of the bottom moulding also prevents you fitting a speaker housing

i even gave a dcc supplies bass enhanced speaker a try but that didnt fit, i had to melt a bit of it to get past the lugs but to no avail...

4b836d44.jpg

08469bf5.jpg

....because as you can see its too deep, the inner moulding should be level with the outer frame

cc7601c1.jpg

in the end i fitted the standard speaker facing downwards, not sealed it yet though, just held in place with a sticky pad for now, will replace it with a blacktak ring when i get a new roll of it

d80ed9d5.jpg

a5f5ba8d.jpg

back to the circuit board, soldered the speaker cables to it

822e4b23.jpg

fitted the chip, as i say this is a 3.5 chip

a4b59416.jpg

testing time before i put it all back together

59862363.jpg

plastic centre moulding back in place

7734e96e.jpg

dont forget the little spring, the easiest way is to remove the bogie and stretch the spring back

47d04af6.jpg

job done, obviously then put the bogie back on (picture not uploaded for some reason!)

onto the rolling road and ready to test again

Here are the functions......

F0.     Lights on /off

F1.     Sound on/off

F2.     Playable 2 toneHorn1

F3.     Playable 2 toneHorn2

F4.     Playable Horn3

F5.     Buzzer

F7     Playable Siren

F8.     APU engine

F9.     Water jet engine and spray noise

F10.  Flange squeal

in the above video the water jet can be heard operating independently after i shut the engine down

the above chip is available new on a V4 chip via howes and can also be reblown onto V3.5 chips (as i have had done)

Archived