Model Rail 166

dibber25

Scottish railways special

Model of the Year 2011 voting launch

Reviews: Bachmann 'A4' and Hornby '2P' 4-4-0.

Loch Oran 'N' layout

Taming the border lands (Waverley Route)

Diorama challenge winner

Masterplan: Ardlui

New Mills layout - steam under the wires

Final fling - A4s

Loch Dour OO layout

Q&A

Workbench:

Light up your layout

Modern tank upgrades

Timber!

Lining a Jones Goods

Supertest: rocks

Shine a light - working spotlights on Class 37s

Building Union station - plastic kit build

Scottish red (ballast)

Backscene.

Fabulous cover pic as well!!

Very interesting Backscene too Chris - the 'grass' doesn't look too bad in the lower pic and the 'Smooth-It' road surfacing stuff could turn out to be rather useful, have you tried a stiffer mix of it in the 'four foot at all?

Not yet. However, I've brushed it on the platform surface of Oakworth (which is balsa wood) and it gives a very nice finish. A blow-over with Halfords grey primer and a light dusting of matt black and quite a nice tarmac surface results.

The grass isn't too bad - it's just not as great as Messrs Nevard and Marriott achieve - and it does look 'European' rather than North American.

CHRIS LEIGH

I think that Chris is being rather too critical of his grass!

Static grass fibres are one of the best scenic materials on the market at this time but whilst they are basically very easy to add to a layout the variety of grass fibres - different companies, different heights, different colours etc - all make it a bit of trial and error.

I have pictures of my first attempts at "planting" static grass fibres and the result looked just like one of those very bright green grass mats so beloved of European modellers reproducing Alpine meadows.

It took me months of playing around with grss fibres of numerous companies and lots of types of adhesives to get what I thought was a relatively decent representation of real grass.

When Chris Nevard and I talk Static Grass we compare notes on real grass and techniques. The subject is much more interesting than we imagined it might be!

I am currently testing lots of types of adhesive and grass applicators to come up with some more comments for Model Rail readers that I hope will be useful in due course.

In the meantime, Chris we are looking forward to seeing more of your Canadian layout in due course! Just remember that a few black bears in your grass fibres will add to the realism of your layout.

Kind regards,

Peter Marriott

I think that Chris is being rather too critical of his grass!

Static grass fibres are one of the best scenic materials on the market at this time but whilst they are basically very easy to add to a layout the variety of grass fibres - different companies, different heights, different colours etc - all make it a bit of trial and error.

I have pictures of my first attempts at "planting" static grass fibres and the result looked just like one of those very bright green grass mats so beloved of European modellers reproducing Alpine meadows.

It took me months of playing around with grss fibres of numerous companies and lots of types of adhesives to get what I thought was a relatively decent representation of real grass.

When Chris Nevard and I talk Static Grass we compare notes on real grass and techniques. The subject is much more interesting than we imagined it might be!

I am currently testing lots of types of adhesive and grass applicators to come up with some more comments for Model Rail readers that I hope will be useful in due course.

In the meantime, Chris we are looking forward to seeing more of your Canadian layout in due course! Just remember that a few black bears in your grass fibres will add to the realism of your layout.

Kind regards,

Peter Marriott

I have yet to try the longer fibres which I bought, with Peter's guidance, at Warley. I'll try to do something in time for the next Backscene.

Don't worry, I have bears ready to go on the layout. The first real bear I ever saw was on the Icefield Parkway near Jasper - a cinnamon grizzly - caused quite a traffic jam, which was bizarre in the middle of nowhere! Trekking through woods, on your own, in order to get to a railway line, can be quite scary. I tend to sing loudly and walk heavy-footed, as the last thing you want to do is to 'surprise' a bear! It's also a good precaution against light-fingered hunters who are likely to shoot at anything that moves! Mind you, my singing might well make them shoot anyway!

CHRIS LEIGH

I wonder if Scottish devolution will see the end of specials such as these B)

...please no political replies :nono: ... it's very much tongue in cheek :)

We've had devolution since what... 1999.

Though, appreciating the intent to refer to independence, and equally tongue-in-cheek - perhaps it'd be a little less "picture postcard Scotland"? ;)

Though, equally tongue-in-cheek, perhaps it'd be a little less "picture postcard Scotland"? ;)

Early morning bounce for Chris's photos...

I'm looking forward to getting my copy at the weekend; with MR and the Sunday Post I'll be set up. 8)

• RMweb Gold

We've had devolution since what... 1999.

Though, appreciating the intent to refer to independence, and equally tongue-in-cheek - perhaps it'd be a little less "picture postcard Scotland"? ;)

... somewhere in between I believe .... DevoMax IIRC.... sounds like a Japanese racing car :stinker:

Smooth It by Woodland Scenics is available from all of their UK stockists I understand.

For a list of the stockists see the list at www.Bachmann.co.uk. Bachmann are the UK distributors of WS products.

I bought my last batch of Smooth It from my local Hobbycraft store.

The instructions to use it can be founf here: .http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/ST1452

Regards,

Pete

Once more there is a need to remind some that these threads are for discussing the contents of the magazine and not the same old moans about subs copies not arriving or mags in bags. We have had to introduce a ruling about this that has been in effect for some time. If your post is deleted then a read of the below will inform you why. Moaning about it in your status update will not make us replace your post nor warm us to you in any shape or form.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/27014-rules-for-posting-in-magazine-topics/

Brought a copy just now while in Tesco's to see the New Mills article. The layout was built by the Risborough MRC in the early 1990s before being sold to Rob Cooper, who has invested in both the modern image and 1960s stock.

Also the majority of the 1960s coahes and wagons on the layout were weathered by myself, and contry to the article all coaches had roofs airbrushed in Pheonix roof dirt, while the underframes and ends used a mix of browns and blacks while the sides had their sides glossed up slightly.

On my first flick through the mag the centre pages dropped out, I really wish that the paper quality would improve as the pages are also prone to tearing.

David

• RMweb Gold

This probably perhaps should be in the Bachmann section... but anyone notice their advert in the front pages (weathered wagons)

They seem to have tripped up on their era system... and the use of early and late (period-sic) BR liveries are a little confusing too???

• RMweb Premium

Received my copy earlier in the week and it makes for a good read, not being a Scottish enthusiast, I have thoroughly enjoyed the tales from North of the Border!

However, I personally think that the apology to Hornby in the editorial comment is un-necessary. The publication date of the issue containing the Hornby releases as per the previous issue was set as 29th December, surely Hornby were aware of that? I don't think it is warranted to blame the distributor, they were only delivering as per the publication date of 29th Dec. It is of course another matter that mine arrived on Dec 23rd!

I think the days of the embargo are coming to an end, but as that is off topic, I will discuss elsewhere!

I can't say I blame Ben Jones for issuing an apology; there were intemperate remarks on this forum at the time, totally disproportionate to the unfolding events but no less vitriolic for that. If it puts those individuals back in their box, who were calling for Model Rail to be blacklisted from media/ press-days and so on, then fair play. There's no harm done and everyone's dignity is restored. Glad everyone seems to be speaking highly of the Scottish Issue. Can't wait to see one!

Archived