Tasma twin train controller

• RMweb Premium

I picked up a 'Tasma' controller at an antiques shop and, having got it home, it seems to work well. The mechanism for reverse switching is new to me - you turn the throttle fully counter-clockwise to operate a micro switch or similar to change the polarity of the output. The overload protection circuits are latching: after an overload occurs (e.g. a short circuit) and you have removed the cause of the problem, you have to return the throttle output to zero to reset the trip.

I have never seen a controller like this before, and a Google search finds me nothing. The controller was 'Made in England', which probably dates it a bit, but the mains plug is the moulded-on type; the housing is riveted together; I haven't looked inside yet. It would be interesting to learn more about it if anyone has experience of these controllers ... as it stands, I think it could become my controller of choice for taking to club meetings or layout demonstrations.

post-14389-0-91822700-1331850438.jpg

There was a hand-held version too. Reviewed very favourably in Modelling Railways Illustrated back in the dark ages. Control was by a slider and it had to be fully slid down to operate the reversing microswitch.

I tried to find one about 10 years ago, but was told by a couple of users that the microswitches were prone to failure if the unit was used continuously under exhibition conditions. However, everyone I spoke to that had used one was very impressed by the control it gave.

The owner of the company either lived or relocated to Oz, and the units might have been built under license in the UK. Seemed like a complex arrangement and the growth of DCC probably killed it off.

Hopefully you got a bargain!

• RMweb Premium

Reviewof the hand held version as suggested by Wizard of the Moor in Morill Volume 2 Number 6 page 275 & Railway Modeller 1993 November page 520.

Sounds like a reasonable basic controller.

Kevin Martin

• RMweb Premium

It was interesting to read all your comments, thank you. I will keep a look out for those magazines, the Railway Modeller especially is easy to find old copies at preserved railways in the UK.

I also have one of the hand-held version: - it must be at least 15 years old but still functioning without any issues.

It is an aquired taste to use, (some operators love it, others just dont get on with it at all) but in the right hands it is second best only to the higher-spec versions of the Kent Panel Controllers.

Paul

• 7 months later...

I've had a Tasma Twin for a few years now, but it has been unused for some time until this weekend. Connecting it up, it worked fine at first, but then developed a problem on one of its two controllers (the other is still OK). It clicks twice, every 5 seconds or so, as if it were switching on-off, and between the clicks there is a humming noise, and the green track direction LED lights up. Turning the control knob to zero still operates the reverse switch but does not reset the controller. Neither does powering off, then on again. Needless to say it does not operate a loco on the track it is connected to. I am reluctant to open it up as the case is riveted. Any ideas, please?

Archived