My DMU progress

MJI

• RMweb Premium

The first one - to be a 118

DMS done, all handrails removed and drilled, all yellowed flush glaze removed. Headcode boxes altered as are teh 4 wrong sized windows.

Primed, rail blued - went wrong so now being modelstripped.

Will put some pictures up tomorrow I hope

• RMweb Premium

OK paint stripped right back, then wiped with cellulose thinners, the Halfords stuff was fine, but I used Barretine for the last vehicle, it went sticky!!!!

Anyway washed and left, then sprayed with etch primer, all looks OK, roofs are now grey, will put a photo up later.

Next job is blue sides

• RMweb Premium

Here are some pictures, not great as I do not own a digital stills camera, these are 25% versions off my video camera stills and its flash ain't great. My phone camera - can only download at work but its stills are quite good (N8)

post-14686-0-27140400-1333222744.jpg

post-14686-0-18268800-1333222745.jpg

post-14686-0-09575500-1333222746.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The precision yellow covers very well and sprays well - looking forwards to blue tomorrow if dry as I have to spray between car and garage.

Garage is full of junk (5 bikes, a freezer, Railway Modellers from 1978, ramps, spare wheel off the caravan, pump up boat, and a 1-3-5 cylinder head off my car (I replaced the valve seals by swapping the heads 2-4-6 is in the shed!)) as well as my half built model railway and my air compressor.

That said less dusty finish than I get in the downstairs loo with rattle cans or my propellant can.

I just wish I had thought to try my Humbrol and Draper airbrushes on it before.

The Draper is good for small areas whereas the Humbrol is a paint coverer.

• RMweb Premium

Here are the latest pictures, sides sprayed, windows and handrails fitted.

Fronts repainted.

Roofs need a quick over spray to cover the brush marks where I painted over some over spray, (same paint but finish is rather different).

So next job is gluing the handles, then painting the first class stripe, then I will dust the roofs.

Parts required are buffers, wipers, and possibly wheels

post-14686-0-57507000-1333801567.jpg

post-14686-0-60892000-1333801568.jpg

• RMweb Premium

OK roofs redone, but the TCL roof is tatty (tape sticky????) - will sand it down and redo.

Buffers ordered, wipers being painted.

6 windows need redoing as interior paint seeped through.

Decided B465 now as I have seen a good photo of it, and more suitable than a Laira unit.

Cleaned and relubricated the motor bogie.

Wondering if it is worth fitting directional lighting

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

OK Pickups now fitted to both non motored vehicles, will do some details later, but very easy to hide them on the DMU bogies.

Motor is not very good, starts with a jump, on a Gaugemaster controller.

Fitted running lights and they are pretty effective, just need to glaze the 2 lights on each end.

Transfers done.

Looking good, but not much different to the other pictures - but will do some tonight.

Martin

• RMweb Premium

Well apart from some 2mm diameter clear material for the marker lights and fitting passengers & driver it is just about complete.

Will be running it to wear in the motor again.

Today painted buffers, fitted lamp irons and destination blinds (both ends say Swindon!).

Will photo when reassembled and paint dry.

B435 next 117 in blue grey

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Swiped the lights from the next one.

Will get some pictures up soon

Now I am working on B435 blue grey 117.

So far chopped off all plastic handrails, door handles (mainly for ease of painting) roof vents, toilet plumbing and unwanted brake compartment.

Fitted the resin DMS parts and white metal roof vents. 90% through headcode boxes.

Corrected the front windows on the sides, no extra wiring yet done. Nor interior work.

Tomorrow last 6 vents, then araldite overnight.

Headcode boxes went a bit wrong so sanded down and rebuilt roof over HCB with filler, need to smooth to shape.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

OK current status of B435.

Ends painted bt went lumpy, sanded down and brush painted with a spray mix I tipped backin from last weekend, sides now blue, need another coat, small amount of overspray on the roof.

Next job is a coat of blue, then the grey, finally a quick roof dust

• 4 weeks later...

Archived