Sealing card structures for weathering?

Guest Popcod

Guest Popcod

Hi all,

I've recently had a go at building the free card signal box that came with the Jan edition of Railway Modeller and have really enjoyed the experience of working with a card kit. I've come to the point now where I'm happy with how the kit's come together, but would like to see how it would fare after a little of my novice weathering! Being card though I wonder if I need to seal the structure in any way before taking any sort of paints or pencils to it?

I'm hoping to really give some age to the building so I'd imagine it's going to come under heavy fire before the end and I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything I could do to avoid it falling to pieces on me half way through the process. I've had a quick search through the forum and nothing really answered my question directly so I thought I'd post it here. Unfortunately I'm on the wrong computer at the moment so I can't post any work in progress as I would have liked - might do soon though!

Any advice gratefully appreciated :)

Cheers,

Chris

Anything printed with a laser, litho (Magazine) or digital process will be fine to directly weather using the dry brush or powder method.

If it is printed on an inkjet printer, try a coat of matt varnish. To ensure its colourfast, try a test area first.

Inkjet ink takes quite a while to dry off as does the glue used to build the model. Once the structure is completely dry ( we are talking days here and indoors in the warm ) then a spray of artists fixative or matt varnish will seal the surface so taht any wet finish will not soak into the card or printed surface. i have yet to suffer any runs or fading with my Scalescenes printing but I am fussy about where I buy my ink.

Guest Popcod

The kit is a Metcalfe production, so I'd assume it'd have a reasonable print quality. Thanks for the tips on giving it a quick varnish coat, I'll give it ago before starting the work just to make sure there're no surprises during weathering.

I keep plugging Lidl W5 waterproofing spray, sold for anoraks etc [suit the readership here?] at about £3 for a big aerosol. A light spray still allows a dgree of watercolour weathering, but a couple of light coats makes a surface on which you can use acrylics and still wipe off before it dries.  Squirt some into the lid and use it with a brush for the lower edges to stop ballasting etc from leaching up and de-laminating your work.

[caveat emptor-try a squirt on a non-important part first, it can discolour cheap generic inks, whilst the dearer Epson 'Durabrite' seem impervious....ask me how I know.......]

This reminds me of the joke about a man who went into Boots and asked a Swedish exchange student for a deoderant......
She asked in heavily accented English "Ball or Aerosol?"
Blushing, the man replied "er, actually I want it for my armpits...."

Just getting my coat....

Doug

Archived