Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

On 29th April 2012, in the course of researching my new layout project, I paid a visit to the area between Lyme Regis and Combpyne which was once the southern end of the SR branch line from Axminster.

Famed for its use of Adams Radial tank engines and the huge Cannington Viaduct with its jack arch built to prevent it collapsing the branch closed to passengers and freight on 29th November 1965. The only traffic since then would have been engineer's trains to dismantle the branch. It is thus all but half a Century since the line saw a train.

Here is a link to the pictures I was able to take of the remains at the southern end of the route. Nothing remains of Lyme Regis station itself and there is precious little at Axminster to suggest it ever existed. Indeed the first mile or so of the branch south of the junction has been entirely eradicated from the landscape as have a few other shorter lengths as my pictures show.

The detail in some of these images may prove useful for modelling purposes; while the structures are in some cases well-known good close-up shots useful to the modeller are hard to find.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z273/Gwiwer/Lyme%20Regis%20Branch%202012/

Archived