Cheap homemade loco lift/storage cassete

Hello , i needed a way to store and lift locos onto layout board.

I had some A4 box files and some formcore to make some stock boxs. After a bit of thinkingand tinkering i came up with this, a means to lift loco onto layout and also to fit into boxfile for storage (will hold four cassettes) .Not much clearance between side of cassete and loco but done on purpose to stop loco tipping off rails, so far works ok.

It also consists of piece of setrack glued onto base. four bits of tube,two a bit longer so wire can be lifted and swung without coming right out of tubes. (cut off waste handsoap container) and wire coathangers bent to fit tube so forming removable ends to stop anything falling off).two pieces of wire soldered to connecting rail provide power .

post-6919-0-32409700-1341515657_thumb.jpg

post-6919-0-35240500-1341515689_thumb.jpg

post-6919-0-29215500-1341515728_thumb.jpg

post-6919-0-68034400-1341515755_thumb.jpg

This aint a new idea im sure but my take on it, hope its helpful to someone else

Tel

Looks great to me. I'm a p--- useless woodworker myself so this is right up my street.

Ian

Hi Ian

thanks, should have added its glued together with pva glue,i put a couple of temporary formers inside and held it all together with elastic bands till glue set.

Tel

• RMweb Premium

I wonder how practical it would be to make them specific to a loco. This could enable you to get more into a box.

I saw a layout recently where the electrical contact for their cassettes was by means of PCB strip on the matng edges of the cassette and the layout. In this case the cassette was placed between two points (one at each end of a siding) such that the cassette effectively became a removable siding track. The PCB strip was on the side of the cassette with a corresponding pcb strip on the edge of the layout against which the cassette was pushed.

Now there's an idea for my own layout, where I'm struggling to get enough through sidings in the fiddle yard.

Thanks lads :)

I should also add, in photo i picked cassette with 04 shunter in, was nearest to hand.When planning size i took my widest steam engine and allowing a few mm clearance which made base in my case 45mm wide by 65 high walls which aloud top cross members to clear box file lid. length worked out about 335mm (rough length of the set track,with joiners removed) this gave end clearance in box to allow for the end stops.(end stops glued with hot glue) It worked out just sufficient to allow four to fit in box file.

Im working in oo, so depends on what you using to tailor the cassette to suit.

They do seem quite sturdy,guess you could make them longer with perhaps extra cross members etc.

I though of PCB strip but wanted to keep it simple and light weight so only used what i had to hand,good idea though.

Tel

Archived