N Gauge TMD Track Plan Help

Hello everybody,

As I am sure most of you have seen I have already created 2 layout topics regarding my layout called "Tillton Station" - a modern era N gauge layout with the main feature being a station called Tillton - name came from the layouts "Brenton" and "Tillotson Road" by Oggy1953 here on RMweb.

Now unfortunately due to a house move my new room is much smaller plus I have had to had the double bed in my room so as you can imagine things are a lot smaller than before... Fortunately though my Grandad has an old baseboard (a proper one this time!) and he is no longer able to finish what he wanted to make. There is a couple loops of track stuck down but this is on foam ballast that is about 10 years old and starting to disintegrate so I will be taking this up which leaves me with an empty canvas. The actual perimeter of the workable area is 141cm x 60cm. I am now faced with a challenge to fit a new plan into this space. But this can be easily done as proved by layouts such a "Stuarts Lane" by shreives on RMweb - a fantastic layout in only 4ft x 2ft.

I would be most happy if you guys could give me any ideas or advice for a track plan - it seems such a waste having the throw all the other plans out the window after spending so long perfecting them but thanks ever so much for all your help guys, these threads will be saved and I will be constantly referring back to them for help!

I was now maybe looking for a TMD type layout like "Old Warren" or "Milton Grove" by Porkie. There has to be at least two continuous running tracks and of course some sort of sidings/yard at the front, any ideas please guys? Not really sure where to start. And I always end up with the same thing....

Thanks, Oli :D

Here is what I had in mind, some sort of modern urban scene, it would be mainly freight passing through with the odd TMD. The grey area at the back would be like a row of warehouses with room for lorry's, forklifts etc. out the front.

post-15085-0-31314900-1344256852_thumb.png

I have seen a layout very similar to this before but can't seem to find it anywhere on the interent. It was made by a man called Peter Johnson and he also has another smaller layout called Rosneah (an N gauge Scottish termnius station based around the 1970's period) But yes, his bigger modern n gauge layout was very good and it's what I want to acheive - wish I had taken some pictures and written down the name now!

Any ideas for advancing and improving this plan? (Oh and that point in the bottom left will be a dis-used one...)

what kind of setting are you wanting?

if you're looking at a depot on the edge of a rural town you'll need some grass banking or something to hide the curves at one end, still allowing for terraced house backs along the backscene

if you're more interested in an industrial / city centre setting then a retaining wall and bridges to hide the cuves would work, putting the depot in a cutting, again, terraced house backs / tower buildings along the backscene.

what kind of setting are you wanting?

Thanks for that info Black Sheep, was wanting to go for a mixture of both really, sort of built up with warehouses and some industrials units - lots of concrete yet there would be some grassy areas and maybe the odd row of terrace houses...

Really wish I could show you this guys other layout, it is exactly what I am trying to achieve here...

Cheers, Oli

Playing around with AnyRail earlier and added in an extra siding to make another maitence shed, what do you think? :

post-15085-0-55868500-1344289742_thumb.png

Any extra ideas would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Oli :D

Looks good Oli, certainly lots of operating potential although I think the additional siding and shed makes the yard too crowded - less is often more when you have a limited space to play with. If you wanted to make this area more interesting without crowding the scene you could put your fuelling facilities on the siding at the back. I'd also suggest looking at ways to disguise the curves at either end as they will appear much sharper than curves you'd see on a prototype main line.

loose the second shed and make it a fueling point?

now, bearing in mind that my head is hardwired for putting turntables and coaling facilities in :P

I would have the left of that plan framed with an over-bridge leading to a road along the top (possibly 'backs' street of terrace housing running along the back towards the rural setting

the bottom left siding have a retaining wall running alongside it as a grass bank builds up to make a tunnel for the right hand exit, a road weaving up over the hilluck that the railway is going through (set back from the tunnel mouth)

have a look at Frankland for how he's created a sense of town centre, subburbs and semi rural in one scene.

if I get time later I'll have a play in photoshop and see if I can place my idea onto your plan if that makes it easier to understand me?

Thanks for the reply's gents, yeah I did think the second idea looked too crowed for the given space. Have taken it out now and yes thanks Clay Country and Black Sheep for that idea about the re-fuiling point, sounds good - will have another play around now with some ideas. And thank you also Graham for your honest opinion.

Regarding the curves, yes I will try and disguise them best I can, only thing is if you do something like this:

post-15085-0-10952500-1344360739_thumb.png

And take away both curves then you see less of the train in the scenic section and could potentially make the layout seem smaller I think. But then I suppose is realism better than size? Probably is...

if I get time later I'll have a play in photoshop and see if I can place my idea onto your plan if that makes it easier to understand me?

Wow that does sound fancy, I like to consider myself a computer person but that's a bit far for me lol. That would be much appreciated Black Sheep, would make it easier to understand and visualise. How's your layout coming along by the way...?

Thanks again gents, Oli :D

Milliedale is on hold while I pack the flat ready to move, although there is a home for it at the other end,

I am starting to plan it's replacement (currently known as Millievale but will probably become Milliedale when the first one is dismantled) as I'd like a continuous run.

Might be tomorrow now when I get to have a play.

And take away both curves then you see less of the train in the scenic section and could potentially make the layout seem smaller I think.

Perhaps a compromise might be to have an overbridge crossing the line at an angle acting as a scenic break. You'll still see a bit of the curve but it would allow you to move the exit off stage back a bit and give you a better view of the trains.

Milliedale is on hold while I pack the flat ready to move, although there is a home for it at the other end,

I am starting to plan it's replacement (currently known as Millievale but will probably become Milliedale when the first one is dismantled) as I'd like a continuous run.

Might be tomorrow now when I get to have a play.

That sounds good, will look forward to seeing some progress updates on Millievale, I don't think I could have and end-to-end, my attention span is too short lol! Good luck with the move as well.

Ok mate no worry's, you don't have to do this if it is too much trouble. Thanks, Oli

Perhaps a compromise might be to have an overbridge crossing the line at an angle acting as a scenic break. You'll still see a bit of the curve but it would allow you to move the exit off stage back a bit and give you a better view of the trains.

Thanks Clay Country for that idea, sounds like a good compromise between the two...

Appologies that it's not quite to the same scale, but hopefully gives an impression enough to set you thinking.

I've taken your second layout as a starting point but removed the shed nearest the running lines, the back-story here is that the two lines are the old steam depot shed which has since been demolished after the new facility had been completed on the site of the old turntable,

the other reason being it's easier to get locos in for fuel, which would occur more often than it is to get them on shed for maintenance work

(remember I'm a steam era modeler)

post-10525-0-94854700-1344379702.jpg

At the right of the layout you have the main A road intowards town as a low speed duel caraigeway that was once a smaller road hence the street of houses (I used to live in one of those!) linking onto it (I could point to a few real world examples of this if needed)

to reflect it being a newer, widened road, this should be a more modern bridge, possibly on the piers of an old viaduct type bridge.

at the other end of the street we have a small roundabout and a village centre that has been caught up in the sprawling mass that is now the local city (the photo is actually the bottom of Earlsdon High Street, Coventry) with a road leading out over the tunnel.

the lane up behind the houses is only a single car wide and these are slightly bigger than average victorian terrace houses with random conservotaries and extensions added on and garages built to back onto the back lane (on-street parking only out front)

the brown lines are the retaining walls holding back the land the houses are built on and the grass bank,

you could loose the grass banking and have a small suburban through station where express services rush straight on through and local DMU's stop from time to time, it could have a small building on a bridge (loose the houses from the other side to do this I guess) or it could just have concrete stairs from the bridge down to platform and a bus shelter on each platform.

hope that gets your imagination going :)

Cor Blimey thanks for that plan Black Sheep, much appreciated - you didn't need to go to all that effort...

It looks really good, nice computer skills lol :D

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to say though I think regardless of the scenery I prefer the plan with the shed at the bottom as it makes it look less crammed like mentioned before. And am I right in thinking that to do your plan I would need to build a raised area over the fiddle yard? If so I don't think that would be suitable - I was just planning on having a dividing wall (backscene) in the middle and then building the scenery up to that.

I really like the bottom right hand of your plan with the tunnel, I think I might use this but make the top of it maybe like a wasteland sort of area with some old rubbish and bits. Kinda like Widnes Vines Yard if you know what I mean.

Then maybe on the left where you have got the dual carriage-way I could reduce that down to a single track road that would have a ramp coming down from it at the back leading to the concreted area where the back of the warehouses would be. Or another idea for that concreted area is maybe have it as a large car park for Network Rail and other rail company vans and veichles...?

To save me typing loads I have made a little plan (you get a better idea of what I am talking about then - I am not the best at explainng things in words lol!)

post-15085-0-46538200-1344788028_thumb.png (It should say "Wasteland / Derelict Area" on that green bit at the bottom right of the plan...)

Cheers, and thanks again Black Sheep, Oli :)

you're right that you'd need to construct a tunnel and raised section but not necessarily over the fiddle yard.

When producing the artwork I mistook the grey area for a network rail yard, if you pulled the row of houses forwards to where you intended the retaining wall to be (having the yard in a cutting) and build the houses as a run of terrace house backs still with the ''backs'' road.

If you have the pennies, take a look at the new scenic craft modern service shed by farish.

Its only a single road shed, but this may give you space for a fuel road next to the depot

Thanks for the idea Porkie, and not a bad one at that!

Are you talking about this one? http://www.ehattons....tockDetail.aspx

If so then yes a little on the expensive side but if it is worth it then I don't mind getting it...

Cheers, Oli

I would agree with Porkie, The Single road shed would look nicer and if you use the siding closest to the front you'l have a fuel road long enough to hold two loco's.

If you really must do a Stabling Point, making the fiddle yard "scenic" might not be a bad idea.......

Sorry guys, you will have to forgive me here. I am incredibly new to the world of railways, only taken interest in them over the past year or so and I'm not quite up-to speed on all the terms. I am going to sound like a right idiot now but what is a Stabling Point Mickey? And Graham what do you mean by Fuel Road? And which siding(s) would this be in...?

Sorry guys, must sound like a right and utter idiot! :(

Oli

Hi Oli,

You don't sound like an idiot, nothing wrong with asking questions.

When i say fuel road, I mean siding where locomotives are fuelled from a pump, usually has a concrete hard standing area and possibly some sort of shelter over the fuelling equipment.

Farish do a fuelling point which may suit your needs, or you could scratch build your own. As for location if you remove the two road shed and replace it with the single road one in the middle of the three tracks then make the track closest to the mainline the fuelling siding. Hope that is a little clearer.

If you look up Ipswich fuelling point there should be some useful photo's.

Graham.

Hi Oli,

You don't sound like an idiot, nothing wrong with asking questions.

When i say fuel road, I mean siding where locomotives are fuelled from a pump, usually has a concrete hard standing area and possibly some sort of shelter over the fuelling equipment.

Farish do a fuelling point which may suit your needs, or you could scratch build your own. As for location if you remove the two road shed and replace it with the single road one in the middle of the three tracks then make the track closest to the mainline the fuelling siding. Hope that is a little clearer.

If you look up Ipswich fuelling point there should be some useful photo's.

Graham.

Thank you very much Graham, much appreciated. I have looked up Ipswich fuelling point and have got and idea for what you mean.

Regarding the Farish fuelling point it seems to be quite hard to come by. Have done a few searches and there are lots of forums with people asking questions like where to get it from and it seems to be discontinued now... :/

Is this what you meant regarding my plan?

post-15085-0-98589700-1344810844_thumb.png

Thanks very much again Graham, Oli

Thats the one Oli, or you could checkout jeff 052 on ebay as he sometimes has a single road TMD for sale. Only downside is it will look like my buildings :-)

Cheers Porkie - he made your two road and three road sheds didn't he lol? :D

Oli

Archived