N Gauge TMD Track Plan Help

Have just had a quick play around and made a few plans and I was wondering why I shouldn't just have the fuelling point across the back which is what was first recommend when I was advised to remove the second shed at the back...

post-15085-0-82814800-1344849841_thumb.png

Something like this perhaps. Where I have currently got the fuel points is this what you meant Mickey when referring to the "Stabling Point"? Where loco's are held I am guessing...? :scratchhead:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then there was the option of having the single road shed recommend by Porkie and Graham...

post-15085-0-70293900-1344850336_thumb.png

I'm not quite sure which one I prefer to be honest, there are advantages and disadvantages of both. Like with option 1 you get to have a two road shed and a longer fuelling point and I think this plan flows better and looks slightly nicer if I'm honest. But then with option I would be required to build my own shed which may not look as good compared to the farish shed if I went with option 2. Yet option 2 means I would be able to have three different areas - a fuelling point; stabling point and a shed. So I'm kinda stuck to be honest, what do you guys think...?

Cheers, Oli :D

Thanks for the reply's guys. Yes gonna be a tough one Porkie! Thanks for the suggestion Graham, that's quite a good idea actually. Like you say, the best of both worlds. Am away in Norfolk at the moment (going to watch the red arrows tomorrow!) but will draw up another plan when I get back.

Thanks again, Oli :)

Use the single shed in plan 2 but swap the fuelling point and stabling siding round.

Regarding your idea Graham could you maybe have a wash plant type thing (http://www.ehattons.com/26151/Graham_Farish_42_002_Washing_plant_Scenecraft_range/StockDetail.aspx) where you said to position the stabling point or would this be too much and unrealistic.

And advice or ideas are welcome guys.

Thanks again, Oli :)

Hi Oli, Yeah i think that would be fine, At the end of the day it's your layout and you have what you want, Personally i think it would look really good and give you plenty of operating potential.

Are you ready to start track laying yet?

Graham.

Yeah i think that would be fine, At the end of the day it's your layout and you have what you want, Personally i think it would look really good and give you plenty of operating potential.

Thanks very much for that Graham. Yes there is that aspect of realism and I suppose just 'fun' in my case. Sometimes it may look too crowded or unrealistic but then it might make the layout more fun for me to operate so I have just got to find the right balance between the two.

Are you ready to start track laying yet?

Yes I am I suppose. Just a few things left to do (which I am planning to do today actually...) My Grandad has given me his baseboard because he is unable to build his layout. But when I received the board from him there was some track already laid down with track pins on foam ballast. But this track was laid around 10-15 years ago and the foam ballast is turning brown and starting to disintegrate so I needed to take all the track up... - I am halfway through doing this at the moment. Once I have finished this I need to take the board outside and sand it all down because there are many rough edges and I have already received 3 splinters from carrying it :( After sanding it all down I just need to give it a quick hoover then I am ready to lift it back in and begin track laying. I have all the track I need so that is a bonus. I just need to decide on a final plan.

Oh and one other thing... was just wondering whilst I had the board outside this afternoon should I paint the front fascia or wait until a later date...? Only thing is I didn't want to wait until modelling had begun to paint it in case paint was spilt onto the layout itself...

Thanks again, Oli :D

Tiny bit of progress today (not often I say that lol) on the baseboard. I have removed all the track so the surface is empty. I then took it outside and sanded the outsides and the handles down so now you can carry it without getting splinters! :P

Then I hoovered the board to remove all the woodust created by me sanding. Next job was to paint the front fascia of the baseboard... This took about four coats of Hobbycraft Ready Mix black paint :)

Here is some shots of the board and the newly painted front, what do you think?

post-15085-0-00992000-1345484921_thumb.jpg

post-15085-0-07965000-1345484933_thumb.jpg

And surely this time there can't be any complaints regarding the lack of bracing... :P

post-15085-0-72756000-1345484946_thumb.jpg

post-15085-0-40115300-1345484956_thumb.jpg

Apologise for all that red stuff on the bottom, not quite sure what it is...? Looks like loft insulation or something lol.

Thanks for looking, Oli :D

Hello everyone, a tiny bit of progress today. In case some of you haven't already seen I have been having massive troubles with ballasting (see this thread: http://www.rmweb.co....ng/#entry743544)

And I bought some woodland scenic's ballast at a model shop the other day and have been testing them today. I cut out four small sections of track because I was testing four different colours... light grey, grey, buff and dark brown. I am pretty pleased with the ballast - it's x1,000 times better than Javis - that stuff is shocking. Their "extra fine" ballast is 3x larger than woodland scenic's fine ballast! :0

Regarding the colours I don't really like the brown (for my type of layout) But here are the three that are possible contenders for my final layout...

BUFF:

post-15085-0-34787900-1345569337_thumb.jpg

post-15085-0-82099500-1345569353_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIGHT GREY:

post-15085-0-94577700-1345569366_thumb.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GREY:

post-15085-0-71556600-1345569384_thumb.jpg

So what do you think? Your favourite out of the three...?

Thanks for reading and your comments and feedback will be much appreciated, Oli :D

Glad you have resolved your ballasting problems Oli, Personally i like both the Grey and the Buff, Maybe your mainline could have the Buff like it's been freshly done and have the depot/yard in the grey?

Thanks very much Graham, much appreciated. I can't decide lol... the light grey looks the worst in those pictues because it had just had the glue applied. That's one thing I have noticed with this ballast - it clumps up and changes a lot when you water it and glue it - did you have these problems Graham?

I do like your idea though about using the buff on the mainline and the depot in grey, might do that... I just basically want what you did here:

post-15085-0-32987900-1345572851.jpg

It is fantastic, the colour, texture and the weathering makes it look really good - how do you do it lol!? Did you say it was buff used on the top...?

Cheers, Oli :D

Hi Oli,

The ballast on Stuarts layout is Buff on the bottom and Woodland scenics Fine Light Gray B74, (not a spelling mistake thats how they spell it) on the top.

As for the texture its no secret, That is just the way it dried, you may see the same result when your light grey ballast dry's.

The weathering is all done with a very cheap airbrush.

Graham.

The ballast on Stuarts layout is Buff on the bottom and Woodland scenics Fine Light Gray B74, (not a spelling mistake thats how they spell it) on the top.

Ah light grey on the top, I was getting confused. Yes that is the light grey (or gray as they put it) that I am using as well. I really do like the look of it on Stuarts Lane.

As for the texture its no secret, That is just the way it dried, you may see the same result when your light grey ballast dry's.

Yes after just looking at the ballast now I have noticed all of them have changed - texture and colour. The normal grey has turned slightly darker but not as bad as the Javis grey lol. The brown has also turned darker and I really don't think I am going to go for this colour. Then there's the buff which has turned slightly more orangey and to be honest I don't think I like it, I much prefer the light grey now. That has seemed to have 'un-clumped' a bit but still doesn't look as good as seen on Stuarts Lane, maybe after the full 24 hours it may look slightly different...

The weathering is all done with a very cheap airbrush.

Really!!!?? Wow, that surpsies me, it looks brilliant. Would you mind telling what airbrush and paint you used please, I remember you saying something about Phoenix Precision Paints... or am I just dreaming here lol :D

Hi Oli,

The airbrush i use i bought off ebay, can't remember the make but they range from 5 to 10 pounds, Paint wise i do use precision paints, For track weathering i use Track dirt and black, plus lots of thinners. Thinking back to stuarts layout, the large areas between the tracks, I sprinkled the ballast loosely and fairly even, glued the area then re sprinkled over the glue which gave a slightly less clumpy finish.

Graham.

Thanks very much for the reply Graham, much appreciated.

I am terribly sorry to keep asking questions but I am quite excited at the fact you did Stuarts Lane only using a cheap airbrush and some precision paints...

I have found your two paints, track dirt: http://www.phoenix-p...-1949-2310.html and dirty black: http://www.phoenix-p...-1949-1995.html but what size did you buy? Because they range from 14ml to 250ml - and I am presuming you didn't buy the aerosol if you were using an air-brush...?

Regarding the actual airbrush I have had a look on eBay and have found quite a few, some of which are around £5 having bids on them like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19d42e53f6

these people have a shop with a good airbrush section: http://stores.ebay.c...d=p4634.c0.m322

then there are some mini kits available like this one:

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1547wt_1168

Cheers, and thanks again Graham, Oli :D

Thanks once again Graham for the reply - you are such a great help, don't know what I would do without you!

Was just thinking to myself after reading up on all the extra things you need to use and care for an airbrush couldn't you just use the 150mls aerosol from precision paints and spray onto the track or is that not as good...? I am not too bothered about weathering trains and rolling stock - it would just be for the track and ballast.

Or of course there is the option of just painting the track and ballast using a brush but then IMHO I don't think this would look as good... anyone done this before and could advise please?

Thanks, Oli :)

Hmmmm, will have to decide then... The aerosol cans are £7.50 each and if I needed two or three colours that would be £15-£22.50 so maybe the airbrush may be worth it if the results are slightly better.

Or on a completely different aspect there is painting the sleepers and rails using a brush, there is a good article in this months edition of BRM which I have read through a few times, they use Phoenix Precision Paints in their example and a variety of techniques using a brush - maybe this could be a better (and cheaper) option? They also mention that when using a brush you can get better, more controlled results compared to using and aerosol can and/or airbrushes....

Some food for thought hey, Oli :)

Hello everyone, just a quick report on the ballast. Like mentioned in a previous post the colour of the ballast's have changed and I am favouring towards the light grey (or Gray as WS call it)

post-15085-0-18093900-1345647572_thumb.jpg

I think it looks good just slightly clumpy in some places.. maybe too much glue?

As suggested by Graham (Shanks522) I could use this colour on the main line and make it look like it was freshly laid and then maybe the normal grey in the TMD/depot area so it looks a bit older and more grimy.

I suppose really I need to see some pictures of a real TMD and choose my favourite one and go from there.

Thanks, Oli :)

Hi everyone,

I am exicted at the recent news from my Mum and Dad that I am off to the sea-side at Brighton tomorrow via the First Capital Connect train from Beford Train Station. I will be taking some shots of the ballast and using these shots to base my own layout on (mainline wise)

Then for the TMD well I am pretty spoilt for choice.. within a stones throw of the station there is lots of sidings - I presume a large stabling point? (see pic below)

post-15085-0-72040500-1345667898_thumb.png - Red= Station / Green= Sidings

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then just down the road (or line) from there is what I presume is a sort of TMD/Depot area (see pic)

post-15085-0-44293300-1345668134_thumb.jpg - Green= Sidings / Blue= TMD/Depot Area

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A more zoomed in view of what I think is the TMD/Depot area:

post-15085-0-20464400-1345668360_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, Oli :)

Archived