Bachmann Class 08 Shunter Body Removal

Can anyone offer some pointers.

I want to put a chip into my Bachmann class 08 shunter, however the body does not wish to come off. I have removed every screw from the underside and it is still firmly attached to the body.

The problem appears to be the body is not moving from the running plate.

Any thoughts would be useful.

If you have not already done so I would suggest taking a look at the Bronsgrove Models fitting guide

http://www.mrol.com.au/Articles/DCC/BachmannClass08.aspx

It shows where the hidden screws are under the coupling which are tricky little monsters. This was a really useful when I fitted a chip to mine. Also be aware of the wire to the lamps at the front and side of the model as this will need to be gently removed before you lift off the body.

The fitting guide is for the earlier version of the 08 which didn't have the plug (not sure what you have) the newer version is easier and no soldering required. I did find on the old version without the plug that snipping off the screw fittings at the front with a track cutter worked really well.

Good luck

Steve

Screws under both coupling pockets, a very easily released lug at the rear, body then hinges on lugs at the radiator end to release. Don't forget to unplug the wire conduit above the front footstep before lifting the body.

Having undone every visible screw, you will have had the keeper plate off and seen that the centre axle is sprung, a very good feature for pick up reliability. Cutting small rebates in the keeper plate to allow the axle a little more downward travel - 0.5mm is enough - and stretching the plunger spring slightly if the action is not very positive is a good plan in my opinion. The wheelset is removed by unplugging the brake detail from the chassis. That also allows you to adjust the wipers to make sure of positive contact on wheelbacks throughout the side to side movement of the wheelsets. On a short wheelbase machine you want to give the decoder every chance of continuous current supply.

I bele there is also a clip at the rear of the loco to

Not on mine there isnt, there was but there isnt now! :cry:

I thought it was the clip holding the body on so put a snall screwdriver in there to ease it off but when the clip fell out and the body still wouldnt move I figured there was a screw somewhere, bl#£dy hidden screws.

Archived