LMS locos in odd places

Tim Hale

Looking at the photo collection, I found these two odd images of interlopers on the South West mainline.

48525_030165.jpg

Jinty+at+Milborne+Port+.jpg

The upper image is 48525 at Yeovil Town shed in January 65 whilst the lower shot is 47542 at Millborne Port. Not sure what or why these locos were off the farm but I suspect that they are exSDJR.

Tim

Guest Max Stafford

That's your most likely explanation Tim; both these types were S&D regulars. I would assume they'd been 'borrowed', whilst lying about between jobs at the southern end of the system.

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

48525 was a Western engine at one time going (according to the Loco Database) from Paxton St (shed previously taken over from the LM) to Llanelly in 1959 and thence to Bath Green Park in August 1964. Neither would directly explain it being at Yeovil but Western freight locos tended to wander quite widely and that would explain it I reckon or equally it could have been loaned to another shed; the loco was withdrawn in October 1965.

According to the same source 47542 was at Green Park on nationalisation and went to Templecombe in November 1958 - which would readily explain its presence at Milborne Port; the loco was withdrawn in June 1962.

Archived