Don't Mess with Uncle Pete; Darwin Award Contender

Arthur

Classic collision. Vehicle moving on a parallel road and the train overtakes the vehicle when it abruptly turns in front of the train. Even worse the train crew doesn't know the truck will be in front of it until the last few seconds.

Not a contender for the Darwin Award for one simple reason - he survived.

Geoff Endacott

More specifically, he survived with his reproductive organs intact! Most contenders for the Darwin Awards die but the awards only specify that they have to remove themselves from the gene pool (in a spectacularly stupid fashion!).

This crash has some rather sad echoes in a crash that occurred here in Melbourne last Saturday. A truck crashed through the lowered barriers at a level crossing and was hit by a suburban ComEng train. The train driver is in hospital in an induced coma, 1 passenger was killed and 13 injured, although the truck driver survived with no significant injuries - like the one in the video, the prime mover was clear of the train and just got spun around.

The train itself was derailed and several of the six coaches are damaged - I am guessing at least two of them may be written off, possibly more.

Not a contender for the Darwin Award for one simple reason - he survived.

Geoff Endacott

True Geoff, but give him his due, he's trying.

As for surviving, as SRmans post testifies, these clowns often do, sometimes at the expense of others.

And just to reinforce that it is genetic, there have been instances where mulitple members of the same family have been fatally injured at the same crossing in separate accidents.

Verily, they walk amongst us.

Then there's this one, a BNSF AC4400 that shows evidence of a recent encounter...very recent. I photographed the train at Marion, Arkansas about three weeks ago...moving along at a nice 40 mph and blowing VERY enthusiastically for the level crossings. Surprised me that they'd leave that on the point of the train with the damage...the engineer's side steps are badly mangled.

post-751-0-87360600-1352213263_thumb.jpg

I don't think anyone would dare say this in the UK, but one of the finest evenings of stand-up comedy I have ever experienced involved a really dead pan guy in Philadelphia. His schtick was on childhood, and the way it has been progressively de-risked by helicopter parenting and all the rest. The pay off was that the next time you see someone create a really spectacular accident with truck, train, ship or airliner: that was little Joey Soap, who should have gone to meet his maker attempting to ride his bike backwards with his eyes shut down a 20% grade. But he was preserved from all such small consequence accidents so that when he finally was able to take a risk, large numbers of people, many tons of metal, and thousands of horse power could all join in the resulting fun.

Then there's this one, a BNSF AC4400 that shows evidence of a recent encounter...very recent. I photographed the train at Marion, Arkansas about three weeks ago...moving along at a nice 40 mph and blowing VERY enthusiastically for the level crossings. Surprised me that they'd leave that on the point of the train with the damage...the engineer's side steps are badly mangled.

They have to get it to a shop somehow. Normally, if the unit is moveable they will put an order out on it taking the steps out of service and then let it run to the next terminal to be swapped out or moved to a shop. Usually its a location that can be reached within the calender day.

Archived