GWR 2884 2-8-0s

Karhedron

I hope I am not duplicating an existing topic, I had a look but couldn't find a thread dedicated to these yet. I was looking at the NGS website and noticed photos of some decorated samples from TINGS.

http://www.ngaugesoc...rade-news#TINGS 2012

I wondered if Dapol have now finalised the running numbers and liveries for the production models now?

• 2 weeks later...

I think DapolDave mentioned that this was something that the chinese factory did off their own bat and was not planned to be released in that livery.

It was a very nice rendition of lined GWR livery though. Perhaps an indication of what the next batch of Halls might look like if we are lucky. The black-painted wheels look good too.

http://www.ness-st.c...apol4_large.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Took the opportunity to have a good look at one of these this evening at the http://www.gascupboard.co.uk/ and have to say that I'm seriously impressed. They have caught the sleek good looks of these heavy freight locos a treat. I won't be getting one for myself but I can certainly see one or two of these trundling round Totnes.

Jerry

I've just got one and only briefly test run it. Seems to work as most Dapol steam these days as they all pretty much have the same motor. A little stuttery to start for the first few turns of the wheels and a little noisy, but smooth once going. No A3/A4esk pickup problems. Mine had a click which looked to be one of the slide bars slightly bent, when rectified the click had gone - presumably the crosshead on that side was catching slightly. Once run in I will check for any other adjustments that are required - it definitely seesaws slightly on the centre (well 3rd!) driver, which I hope won't be a haulage concern given that the tyres are on the rearmost set.

The front wheels and the tender wheels look very fine with their slender spokes, though the blackening seems lesser than on some models so they do stand out, as do the rims of the drivers. I will tone these down in black, as well as thin down the crossheads (look to be the same component as used on the Halls). Beyond this I'll see when I come to respray what it's like to dismantle (tender will be easy), as I bought a GWR one rather than bother wait for the BR ones which are sure to be oversubscribed and therefore possibly more expensive too. And black is the easiest respray there can be!

Overall looks good, will see how running in goes.

Cheers,

Alan

post-7627-0-70365500-1361556957.jpg

post-7627-0-86194300-1361556964.jpg

post-7627-0-43571000-1361556972.jpg

post-7627-0-03749700-1361556980.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Found a BR black 28xx in a local model shop (they also had one of the early crest versions). Decided I was better buying it there and then. Was a bit noisy at first but has quietened down after running in. Seems happy to run right down to a crawl and I was surprised but it will even crawl through Peco Settrack points. The only problems was that one axle on the tender seemed to jam or bind when running in reverse around second radius curves. Running in seems to have cured that issue and the only minor niggle is that the tender wheels are not blackened very evenly, nothing a bit of paint can't fix.

It bodes well for the West Country/Battle of Britain and Schools class locos.

I was running mine in and it seemed quite happy for 1 hour. Then it suddenly stopped and a lot of nasty smoke came out of the tender! :(

I have heard of it happening to others occasionally but it is a first for me. Oh well, back to the shop I guess.

Hi all (and Dapol Dave!),

I pre-ordered a 2884 from a well-known mail order supplier, using the Dapol catalogue reference number for No 2872 with Great Western lettering, and duly received a confirmation that it had arrived in stock. I confirmed my order and the loco arrived safe and sound the next day - excellent. The only problem was that it was No 2892, with shirt button logo. I decided that I could live with this so didnt return it.

I went on to confirm an order for No 2872 from a local model shop, as and when it came in stock. This week, I was told it had arrived and went to collect yesterday. This one turned out to be No 2884 with G W R lettering, which is a bit late for my modelling period.

The key point is that both suppliers assure me that they ordered the correct product reference for No 2872 but got the wrong models. Perhaps Dapol should check their order fulfilment procedures to ensure that such errors don't continue - it is inconvenient for the sellers and frustrating for the customers.

John

Mine has now finished a quick trip through the works. Dismantling may be of interest to folks, so a couple of snaps below:

Tender disconnects easily with removal of the pickup wires and one drawbar screw. The chassis then needs the coupling rods removed, as the cylinders are attached to the underside of the footplate. Remove the front bogie. Remove the rearmost screw, and then come careful wangling of the front of the chassis (which is clipped fairly tightly). This will allow the 0-8-0 chassis to be removed and access to the worm and bearings (important for lubrication). There is a small weight on the top of the chassis which needs unclipped to access the worm.

post-7627-0-47719500-1363533236.jpg

post-7627-0-91865300-1363533244.jpg

Overall the impression of the engineering of the chassis is very good - doesn't look to now use the tungsten frames but instead a split cast chassis with the phosphor bearings set into it. This must add to the weight as most of the chassis space is either casting or gears - there's a lot less air in there! Also the boiler is filled with a cast weight.

Beyond this in my workover I've also:

- Thinned the crossheads down

- painted the crank pins gunmetal

- weathered the valve gear with black wash

- painted the wheel rims black

- resprayed the loco BR black, Fox crests and dullcote finish.

post-7627-0-29990500-1363533252.jpg

post-7627-0-27400800-1363533258.jpg

The tender still looks to sit a bit high, but with the wheels painted it's far less noticable. Still to do - better coal, some fire irons and a touch of extra weight in the tender.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Dr Al

I've been following your description of dismantling your 2-8-0. Just how do you 'wangle' the front off? Is it clipped or just very tight. I'm afraid of damaging the slid bars which, like the rest of the motion, appears to be made of the softest metal they could find! So how do you undo the clip or lever the chassis out? Ray

Mine has now finished a quick trip through the works. Dismantling may be of interest to folks, so a couple of snaps below:

Tender disconnects easily with removal of the pickup wires and one drawbar screw. The chassis then needs the coupling rods removed, as the cylinders are attached to the underside of the footplate. Remove the front bogie. Remove the rearmost screw, and then come careful wangling of the front of the chassis (which is clipped fairly tightly). This will allow the 0-8-0 chassis to be removed and access to the worm and bearings (important for lubrication). There is a small weight on the top of the chassis which needs unclipped to access the worm.

attachicon.gif2884 apart 1.jpg

attachicon.gif2884 apart 2.jpg

Overall the impression of the engineering of the chassis is very good - doesn't look to now use the tungsten frames but instead a split cast chassis with the phosphor bearings set into it. This must add to the weight as most of the chassis space is either casting or gears - there's a lot less air in there! Also the boiler is filled with a cast weight.

Beyond this in my workover I've also:

- Thinned the crossheads down

- painted the crank pins gunmetal

- weathered the valve gear with black wash

- painted the wheel rims black

- resprayed the loco BR black, Fox crests and dullcote finish.

attachicon.gif2884_1.jpg

attachicon.gif2884_2.jpg

The tender still looks to sit a bit high, but with the wheels painted it's far less noticable. Still to do - better coal, some fire irons and a touch of extra weight in the tender.

Cheers,

Alan

I was running mine in and it seemed quite happy for 1 hour. Then it suddenly stopped and a lot of nasty smoke came out of the tender! :(

I have heard of it happening to others occasionally but it is a first for me. Oh well, back to the shop I guess.

Did it come from Church Street Models? He mentioned that he had one customer who had this problem. I told him no to worry because I was unlikely to retain the motor. I would like to have rather less coal in the tender so plan to swap the motor out early on. I'm undecided whether to replace the whole chassis for finescale use: I think that turning the wheels is worth a shot before reaching a decision. 

Did it come from Church Street Models? He mentioned that he had one customer who had this problem.

It did indeed, too bad I could not swap the motor for yours. :sarcastichand:

Still, he is handling the return and repair/replacement. There will always be the odd dud in any production run, the important thing is how retailers and manufacturers handle them.

So far Church Street Models have been faultless, lets hope there is a replacement available. I really want 2884 in post-war GWR livery so I hope there is a replacement available at Dapol (or a replacement motor).

Hi Dr Al

I've been following your description of dismantling your 2-8-0. Just how do you 'wangle' the front off? Is it clipped or just very tight. I'm afraid of damaging the slid bars which, like the rest of the motion, appears to be made of the softest metal they could find! So how do you undo the clip or lever the chassis out? Ray 

I removed the front bogie and then just levered from various angles until eventually I got some movement. You can see the clip on the top RH end of the chassis on my snap.

Did it come from Church Street Models? He mentioned that he had one customer who had this problem. I told him no to worry because I was unlikely to retain the motor. I would like to have rather less coal in the tender

Depending how much less coal you want you may not need to remove the motor and replace it. I intend to cut out the moulded coal and replace - I think I'll be able to reduce the height quite a bit, without impinging on motor space.

So far Church Street Models have been faultless, lets hope there is a replacement available. I really want 2884 in post-war GWR livery so I hope there is a replacement available at Dapol (or a replacement motor).

Or could just respray a GWR one ..... :D

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I,eventually, managed to get it apart by removing the body from the footplate. The works come out fairly easily then- I still did the slidebars a lot of no good though! -I did try to unclip them. I'm going to replace that weight with lead, then hope to get it all back together.  Ray

I removed the front bogie and then just levered from various angles until eventually I got some movement. You can see the clip on the top RH end of the chassis on my snap.

Depending how much less coal you want you may not need to remove the motor and replace it. I intend to cut out the moulded coal and replace - I think I'll be able to reduce the height quite a bit, without impinging on motor space.

Or could just respray a GWR one ..... :D

Cheers,
Alan

Although I'd be a little surprised if it's solid tungsten (although I'd be very interested to be proved wrong!).  My guess is that it would be MIM tungsten powder in a polymer/epoxy filler, which would probably work out at about the same density as lead.  Dapol's preference for it may be driven by safety rather than higher density.

Could be sintered either? If this is the case it might have density 95-99% of 'solid' material. MIM parts are usually approaching 100% dense too once debound and sintered. However there might be some filler in the feedstock that is designed to remain.

I haven't taken my model apart yet so can only speculate.

Hi Folks,

It aint Tungsten- I did weigh it! Ray

Interesting...maybe Dapol Dave can confirm.

Not that I'm worried - my loco had no trouble with 30 wagons straight from the box, and I suspect it'd pull at least double that on the level no trouble.

Cheers,

Alan

Cheers

Alan

Archived