ED (class 73) original livery.

JZ

I am in the process of upgrading my Lima ED using a class 20 chassis, details of progress can be seen in my Somercombe blog. As I have spent the time and money sorting the chassis, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and brink the body up to scratch as well. A set of grills and horns are to be obtained from A1 models, so a repaint will be neccessary. I presume that the pale green line along the bottom is BR yellow green but what is the correct shade for the bodyicon_question.gif Would it be BR elactric stock green 1959-66 icon_question.gif And what colour should the roof be icon_question.gif On the Lima offering it is a creamy grey.

If anybody has any pictures of them in colour in their original green livery as opposed to a restored livery and any picture of the details on the bufferbeam, I would very much like to see them.

Hi,

I'm assuming you're do a JA so you're correct about emu green for the body colour but the stripe is pale grey. Have you decided which one you're doing as they all had minor varitions when they first came out such as buffers, warning panel or not.

It's probably worth trying to look at a copy of http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=5980 (just the first link I found, other booksellers available) which has some really good detail photo's.

Stu

The lower band should be a medium grey, not pale green - i made the same mistake when I first repainted my Lima 73/0 years ago.

The main body green was SR's stock green, not BR locomotive green, pretty much as you surmised. Cab roofs were green but the main body of the roof was grey (not exactly sure what shade is correct but roofs tend to weather quickly so I would not worry too much if you use a shade darker than the Lima one.

There were several variations on the green livery applied to those first six 73s, with several modifications made fairly quickly after release from building, particularly on the first three.

Don't forget to add the extra jumper cable on the front - I used one from a scrapped Lima body.

I am in the process of upgrading my Lima ED using a class 20 chassis, details of progress can be seen in my Somercombe blog. As I have spent the time and money sorting the chassis, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and brink the body up to scratch as well. A set of grills and horns are to be obtained from A1 models, so a repaint will be neccessary. I presume that the pale green line along the bottom is BR yellow green but what is the correct shade for the bodyicon_question.gif? ? Would it be BR elactric stock green 1959-66 icon_question.gif? ? And what colour should the roof be icon_question.gif? ? On the Lima offering it is a creamy grey.

? ? If anybody has any pictures of them in colour in their original green livery as opposed to a restored livery and any picture of the details on the bufferbeam, I would very much like to see them.

Hi Julian

I built a model of E6001 a few ago for Charlotte Rd. I used a Bachmann Class 25 chassis, which I cut & shut to fit the Lima 73!

I have attached a few of images of my model that may help you.

HTH? 

Tim Rogers

post-2011-12620125247833_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12620125457985_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12620125701476_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12620125922109_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12620126195206_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12620126549686_thumb.jpg

I am in the process of upgrading my Lima ED using a class 20 chassis, details of progress can be seen in my Somercombe blog. As I have spent the time and money sorting the chassis, I thought I may as well go the whole hog and brink the body up to scratch as well. A set of grills and horns are to be obtained from A1 models, so a repaint will be neccessary. I presume that the pale green line along the bottom is BR yellow green but what is the correct shade for the bodyicon_question.gif Would it be BR elactric stock green 1959-66 icon_question.gif And what colour should the roof be icon_question.gif On the Lima offering it is a creamy grey.

If anybody has any pictures of them in colour in their original green livery as opposed to a restored livery and any picture of the details on the bufferbeam, I would very much like to see them.

Hi

Hopefully this should include a picture of E6004 at Stewarts Lane in October 1962 (OPC #58) which may help with your query. [admin edit - removed for copyright reasons]

Strangely, earlier today I posted a question re suitable transfers for renumbering one of my Class 73 but no replies to date.

Mike

Julian

As you see from the photos of Tim's excellent model, E6001 didn't have a lower body stripe - and yes it did have a coach-type roundel. When first introduced it also had oval buffers (as did E6002 and E6003) but these were later changed for the round ones that the rest had.

Not colour, but some good photos of E6001 in 'Power of the Electro Diesels' - and there is a colour one of E6003.

Julian

As you see from the photos of Tim's excellent model, E6001 didn't have a lower body stripe - and yes it did have a coach-type roundel.? ? When first introduced it also had oval buffers (as did E6002 and E6003) but these were later changed for the round ones that the rest had.

Not colour, but some good photos of E6001 in 'Power of the Electro Diesels' - and there is a colour one of E6003.

Hi Rod

Thanks for the kind words

HTH

Tim

Thanks for the replies and especially to Tim for those photo's of his excellent model. Looks like I will not be modelling E6001 after all, as I have several plain green diesel locos and the stripe at the bottom just adds variety to the fleet. As SRman says, this stripe should be a mid-grey.

A quick question for Tim now. How much work have you done on the body ? Are they the original grills ?

Thanks for the replies and especially to Tim for those photo's of his excellent model. Looks like I will not be modelling E6001 after all, as I have several plain green diesel locos and the stripe at the bottom just adds variety to the fleet. As SRman says, this stripe should be a mid-grey.

? ? A quick question for Tim now. How much work have you done on the body ? Are they the original grills ?

Hi Julian

I like you purchased the A1 replacement grilles. but found the Lima detail to be superior? ? :D? Hence I only replaced the plastic handrails. Once the grilles are weathered the injection moulded detail stands out superbly.

I used fine electrical wire on the bogies to simulate the traction motor cables. Bogie steps I think came from a Shawplan kit as I used the additional body side grilles from this kit as Lima had yet to do the JA body when I made this model. As usual on nearing completion of E6001 Lima produced the JA version.

On my E6001 the underframe is incorrect for a JA as it the JB version.? 

I do have underframe images of the JA & when time permits I will post them here sometime this week.

I will also take some images of the internals to show the modified Bachmann Class 25 chassis.

HTH

Tim

Thanks for that info. I will try weathering to bring out the detail. I have used a class 20 chassis for my conversion, details of which can be seen in my Somercombe blog.

Thanks for that info. I will try weathering to bring out the detail. I have used a class 20 chassis for my conversion, details of which can be seen in my Somercombe blog.

Here are some prototype shots of 73001

HTH

Tim

post-2011-12621319453142_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12621319568277_thumb.jpgpost-2011-12621319662262_thumb.jpgpost-2011-1262131977108_thumb.jpg

Archived