Coney Hill Light Railway

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The return of Coney Hill - we'll be at the Gauge 0 Guild Spring Show at Kettering on Saturday 1 March - so come and say 'hi' if you're at this event.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/calendar/event/1055-gauge-0-guild-spring-show/

Its our most prestigious gig to date, the 7th outing, how will we be received by the GOG stalwarts?

post-14654-0-13236900-1393015259_thumb.jpg

This is an 'invitation to view' (not an advert, please note) in more sense than one as my career will be taking me to snowy Cape Breton, Canada later this year, so Coney Hill will be looking for a new home and careful owner before then. I'll be sorry to see it go, but would be even sorrier to have to fix it after 6 weeks in a shipping container across the Atlantic.

There is a track plan and overall photo below. The layout is quite interesting to operate, the absence of a run-round loop means that 3 locos are generally in traffic. It measures 131 x 45 x 20 cm when packed for transit (and can be lifted by one person) or 262 x 45 cm when set up. It sits on a hefty B&Q 3-trestle paste table (included). Control is DC - just plug in your Gaugemaster (or as preferred) and go, DCC is no doubt possible.

post-14654-0-34988400-1393015402_thumb.jpg

The layout is ideal for someone looking to run small industrial/light railway steam or diesels. Only limited stock would be included in any sale, such as a 'get you started' standard gauge train (if required) and the narrow gauge stock, 0-12 being hard to find. I'm not planning on giving up Gauge 0 modelling, the fun has just started.

post-14654-0-15983100-1393014616_thumb.jpg

The layout is booked for the Great Central Railway & Engineering Exhibition at Rothley on June 20-22 which promises to be a great event, so I'm hoping to be able to work out with a new owner how we can be there. I've declined other 3 show requests in the past few weeks, so its becoming quite popular.

Do PM me if interested, and come to Kettering anyway!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for asking, lets say 'long-term' (5 years or so) rather than permanent, as at some point in the next decade I aim to be back in the land of small steam locos and warm wet winters!

Full story for anyone really interested (breaking cover and back into work) in the Cape Breton Post....bit.ly/1miVMxE

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed setting up Coney Hill over the weekend to get it ready for the Kettering show next Saturday. Still making small improvements, the natural moss undergrowth looks fresher after a quick spray with green water-based paint. Running repairs on the narrow gauge battery electric loco return it to service.

The SECR 'P' class had some trial running but the (Gladiator) pickups and gearbox need further adjustment, so may not be ready for next weekend.

Dava

Guest Isambarduk

"Sadly, I can't make it to Kettering on Saturday"

Sorry to miss you, Chris.  I was hoping to show you the complete and painted reworking of my Ixion Hudswell Clarke :-(   I shall post photos in the appropriate thread** before too long.    David

**   http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69095-idea-conversion-of-ixion-hudswell-clarke/?p=1273064

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately not in the same block as you but not too far away across the aisle ;)

Yes I wondered why Mike had been set up in a different area as it would have been 'Reely Grate' (sorry!) to have been co-located. I would like to learn from your crafty building work!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Everything's packed up in the car, ready for an early start to Kettering in the morning. Call by & say 'hi' if you're there.

GCR 'Main Line' mag has arrived so time for a browse....

• RMweb Premium

Enjoyed the Kettering show today & meeting quite a few people as well as seeing the other layouts which were all interesting.

Guest Jim Read

Hi Dave,

Hope you have a great time in your new job, I enjoyed our chats when we met at a few shows.

best wishes and good luck - Jim

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's all been quiet at Coney Hill in recent weeks as I've been busy with other 'projects',

However the Christmas project of restoring a SECR 'P' Class 0-6-0T can be unveiled...just in time for Easter!

post-14654-0-39944400-1397937780_thumb.jpg

It is 31325, modelled in its final condition as Shoreham docks shunter. Looks the part but does not yet run too well.

I found the Gladiator plunger pickups difficult to set up properly, they do not follow the axles as they move laterally and the gear mesh in a fold-up gear box also needs more work.

post-14654-0-59184300-1397937865_thumb.jpg

The layout is up, and will next appear at the GCR Model Event on 20-22 June (misdescribed as 'Coney Hill Tramway' for some reason). This will be the layout's final outing under my stewardship, so come and see the many fine layouts which will be there.

http://www.gcrailway.co.uk/special-events/model-railway-engineering-expo/

Dava

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visited the G0G event at Cleckheaton yesterday, and sold my LNER Sentinel railcar kit as it was pretty evident this was not going to be built anytime soon.

This was enabled by the purchase of a built example, 'Diligence' from the Guild Executor & trustee service, and also a GER 'Sundries' van used for fruit etc (these did not run with the Sentinels).

Both these came from the collection of the late Ken Curry, I'm informed. He was in Australia so they were returned to the UK, which is probably why the railcar had sustained some damage en route. This is repairable, further restoration will take place and the pair are seen on Coney Hill below. Appreciation to the late builder.

Only 3 weeks to go till the GCR model & engineering gala weekend!

Davapost-14654-0-04946500-1401653948_thumb.jpgpost-14654-0-81492100-1401654067_thumb.jpg

I also visited the Middleton Railway so will upload some interesting photos when time allows

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm preparing Coney Hill for the GCR Model Event from 20-22 June which promises to be a really excellent event with many fine layouts, details now online at http://gcrailway.co.uk/modelevent/

It will be my final show with Coney Hill, which will pass to its new owners at the weekend, so there could be some interesting stock running - come and visit us and see!

Meanwhile here are some final photos in the workshop before its dismantled and packed tomorrow.

post-14654-0-68232500-1403040295_thumb.jpg

The Sentinel pauses its shunting as the Hudswell waits to leave with a short van train

post-14654-0-53398500-1403040346_thumb.jpg

An evening view from the narrow gauge platform

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Layout all set up at Quorn, what an amazing venue they've created in the marquee & what a great selection of layouts. Looks like a good weekend!

Dava

• RMweb Premium

You may well see Maureen & Steve, the new owners, I hope to visit some of the other attractions along the line

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Coney Hill has officially passed to its new owners, Steve and Maureen, who spent all today running it after the handover at the splendid GCR gala this morning. Its in good hands.

post-14654-0-20482000-1403381831_thumb.jpg

I'll be back tomorrow for a final running session. They have plans to introduce the layout to pastures new in Kent, with some changes.

All the best,

Dava

Archived