Class 90 underframe pics?

Hey all!

I need a little bit of help from you'll... Google has failed me but I did get a few pics to show you'll. Now basically I am going to detail up a Hornby Class 90 using Pete Harvey's improvement kit. While the kit transforms the loco's appearance to a great extent (IMO) the only problem is the underframe of the loco. Hornby's version makes it look railroad(ish) So to improve it myself I thought I could 3D print just the underframe equipment which is circled in yellow.

I'll need your help for the following:

1) I need close up pictures of that part circled in yellow (tried for quite a while on Google to no avail)

2) I anyone can just give me a rough measurement of that, it would be great. Maybe if anyone has a model of the Class 90 then you can measure the length, breadth and height from the model then that would suffice.

So two things I'll need - close up detailed pics and measurements from a model.

Thanks to all...

post-15929-0-57090200-1358744040.jpg

post-15929-0-23628400-1358744051.jpg

Oh right 

thought I was a bit out but double checked and my images of 90's (only 3 in my library ) are of Intercity liveried ones and in those days that equipment had covers over them locks like a flat door though they are a little fuzzy due to being scans of old 35mm slides that have deteriorated a bit

thank you so much Tim. Appreciate it

really sorry for the delay in response. My internet is down so I've turned to my phone for all my work. Those pics are just lovely, couldn't have asked for better.

Anyway if there's anyone here who owns a Hornby Class 90, can you please provide me with the measurement of the underframe equipment (refer to Tim Horn's pics).

• 1 month later...

Length inside is 21mm and height inside 11mm each frame.

Hope you go the whole hog and do em 4mm....we dont need em "skinny" now do we.

The mouldings are just a little solid...and can be improved with a little more relief.

Maybe when you get your hands on one you may rethink.

Ian

The boxes are the other side! They still carry them.

Ian

Oh right 

thought I was a bit out but double checked and my images of 90's (only 3 in my library ) are of Intercity liveried ones and in those days that equipment had covers over them locks like a flat door though they are a little fuzzy due to being scans of old 35mm slides that have deteriorated a bit

Guest jim s-w

Try having a look at the Heljan class 86 underframe parts. I'm reasonably certain they're what you'll need...

Nah, nothing like, sorry.

As it doesnt go right across underside outer edges is 32mm so halfway 15-16mm

Ian

Thanks Ian, if I can bother you for Just one more thing - how broad is it? I think you provided me with the inner length and height but any idea on the width? Atleast from the underside of the model.

Jim is correct the Heljan 86 stuff is nothing like.

Almost complete. I am satisfied with the results for a few reasons - it looks good enough for a model with a medium level of detail, it's the underframe so not much attention will be paid to it, thats the best I could do in two hours, it's already better than Hornby's offering. 

If you'll like I'd put it up on shapeways so that you'll can print it. All pipes etc that form part of the equipment can be made from 0.5 mm wire. I have made holes in the CAD drawing for that specificly.

IT IS ONLY A SMALL IMPROVEMENT AND NOT TO SUPER DETAIL STANDARDS.

A big thank you to Tim who provided me with such detailed pictures. Many thanks to Ian for giving me the measurements in 4mm scale.

post-15929-0-16686500-1363502699_thumb.jpg

I admire how quick you put that together, I think though your interpretation misses what is actually there.

Hornby's solid version matches the pics and needs 3-d ing and making a little deeper.

I have carved and chain drilled one of the boxes out this afternoon, the other is about to let go.

I personally will look to reuse Hornbys bits with other scraps. Goodluck with your venture!

Ian

Ian I think you have blindly missed my statement. I CLEARLY SPECIFIED THAT IT IS NOT A HIGHLY DETAILED REPLICA.

From your pointers I have only missed the parts circled and marked ''missed'' and the wrongly positioned the part labeled ''not on the frame''. Everything else is there, it just doesn't appear in the picture because it's facing the light source.

Please look carefully. And for a first timer at 16 years old I think I've done a fairly good job (considering I did it 2 hours)

But I will try to add them at a later date;

**FYI I have no actual training in 3D modelling, I learnt by myself after playing around with shapes n tools. What you expect from me is like what you'd get from a pro.

Jeremiah,

You asked a question, you got some my thoughts.

I only wished I had blindly missed the thread all together. See no need to shout.

Highly detailed or not and as you havent got a Hornby 90 to work from I helped with some basic measurements. You have made a stab at what you think is there, the main thrust of your two hours spent I would say in retrospect have been wasted, this after help gleamed from others seems to have been ignored. Increased observation of images supplied to you may with a little more time expended by yoursef to gauge reaction and comment would have given a basic but workable product.

What you have come up with in my opinion isnt as good as what is moulded. I am at a loss as to why anyone would go to the bother of carving moulded 2d detail to replace with something less detailed or accurate.

Your age aside, look on here as a way of gaining support and insight and feedback.

That wont be from me though..

Ian

Ian I think you have blindly missed my statement. I CLEARLY SPECIFIED THAT IT IS NOT A HIGHLY DETAILED REPLICA.

From your pointers I have only missed the parts circled and marked ''missed'' and the wrongly positioned the part labeled ''not on the frame''. Everything else is there, it just doesn't appear in the picture because it's facing the light source.

Please look carefully. And for a first timer at 16 years old I think I've done a fairly good job (considering I did it 2 hours)

But I will try to add them at a later date;

**FYI I have no actual training in 3D modelling, I learnt by myself after playing around with shapes n tools. What you expect from me is like what you'd get from a pro.

Well, did I ever say the model was complete? I said ALMOST COMPLETE.

The reason why I stuck to what I posted here is because when I did add the details (something close to a detailed standard) shapeways couldn't print it) I had to revert to the old form. I am reworking it altogether.It's not that I have ignored anyone's help. I have taken into account the other pointers you made. As stated I am redoing it. Whats available now on shapeways is a basic model which quite a few people have had good things to say about including those at Hornby.

I am doing a new one which has all the necessary changes.

Gents can we cut out the handbags please?   Jeremiah what you have managed is indeed very good and with the help of others you can indeed make it better.  That is one of the things this forum excels in the  ability to join together to make things better.  You have posted your work on here for examination and that by it's very nature invites criticism.  What you have received is constructive criticism (advice).  So rather than get into a slanging match with those that have offered help why not just work with the advice and either change your design or just state that is all you are prepared to do at the moment?

You have ability and an interest that belie your age please don't spoil it by having a go at the very people who are trying to help you.

Archived