Thanks, Mikkel! I am chuffed that you thought it was a cheat!! I really enjoyed making Castle Books....I do love browsing in old places like that. Yes, it was great working with Petra on the project. Bill tends to just appear... with, for instance, a castle or a tree....very good man to have around! Petra always looks at whatever I'm building and tells me that I need more weathering or detailing, she has a proper artist's eye, which isn't surprising since she is one!

Hmm...Sherlock Holmes and the case of the thin black line...  oh, yes, the hounds - not to mention the gull!

cheers,

Iain

So the truth is out, IT'S PETRA that builds the buildings !!!!!!

No wonder I've been struggling !

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

Superb modeling Iain. When I showed Mrs Sasquatch the picture of Benhams Sweets & Ice cream, it reminded her of her first trip England where we stoped in Deal after disembarking the ferry at Dover on her first Motorbike tour! There is a sweet shop just like it where she (and I quote) "Chowed down on a bunch of pineapple chunks sherbert lemons and stuff".

Loved the Holmes & Watons element.

Shaun 

Iain C Robinson

Iain C Robinson

• photo-18033.jpg?_r=1358269077

• email_open.pnguser_delete.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 162 posts
  • LocationVale of Ffestiniog, North Wales

Posted 23 April 2013 - 19:57

star_big.png
POPULAR

Definitely the last installment of Tetford...

Can't be ! BOO ! Not allowed ! Not fair ! MUST have more ! INSIST on more ! Tellin' my mum ! BOO ! CHEAT ! FRAUD ! 

What on Earth am I doing......

• 2 months later...

A couple of photos of Tetford have emerged from the depths of my hard drive...I thought I would just put them up here.

post-18033-0-59447300-1372762307.jpg

A view of the gasworks showing remarkably overscale point rodding made by me from wire. I would use the Wills product now, although that is also overscale.

I have always liked the view under the "main line" down to the quayside and as a bonus, this features some more of Petra's clay scribed stonework. They say (the experts) "never use reverse curves"...well, tell that to Peter Denny!

post-18033-0-19473300-1372762519.jpg

I will post more if  it's not boring folk to death.

That has left me totally stunned and gasping for breath !!!

Anyway Iain, ever thought what effect your own modelling leaves on others where your's would be an explosion of raw talent forcing jaws to impact on the floor in one almighty crash, while mine would be  "Wonder how long that'll last before it falls apart...?"

Brilliant stuff again  as expected from the Robinson Petra duo - awesome.

Cheers. Allan.

A couple more photos of the station that have emerged...

a close-up of the platform...Freebs will no doubt give me grief about the depth of the window reveals :tomato:

attachicon.giftetford (34) (800x508).jpg

attachicon.giftetford (44) (800x485).jpg

Oh no, not those dreaded figures again Iain !!!

Brilliant stuff all the same, with, or without 'em !

Cheers.

Allan.

Oh no, not those dreaded figures again Iain !!!

Brilliant stuff all the same, with, or without 'em !

Cheers.

Allan.

Thanks very much, Allan for your kind comments...yes, I agree, the figures do let it down somewhat, especially the schoolboy. My customer insisted on them...wasn't my fault!! wasn't my fault, teacher!"

Petra also notes that you have at last recognised who actually does all the work :sungum:

cheers mate,

Iain

Ah yes, customers and their unstoppable determination to ruin a good model !

I've had customers that no sooner had they taken delivery of hundreds of hours of work  ( well two anyway )  trying to make a model look as realistic as possible, who are slapping Brittains Trees and the entire population of the Merit Tribe all over the place before I've even got out of their drive !

So my question is, had I have done so pre delivery, would they have accepted the model and paid double ? - " Cor, a one dimensional blob of plastic blowing a whistle, WOW !! "

Cheers Mate.

Allan.

Ah yes, customers and their unstoppable determination to ruin a good model !

I've had customers that no sooner had they taken delivery of hundreds of hours of work  ( well two anyway )  trying to make a model look as realistic as possible, who are slapping Brittains Trees and the entire population of the Merit Tribe all over the place before I've even got out of their drive !

So my question is, had I have done so pre delivery, would they have accepted the model and paid double ? - " Cor, a one dimensional blob of plastic blowing a whistle, WOW !! "

Cheers Mate.

Allan.

Ha ha! I know what you mean. I built a layout for a very nice gentleman a few years ago, it had loads of scenery and hundreds of trees. He phoned me up one day just as P was putting on the last big oak tree model on the village green, with it's cricket team etc etc..."Hello, Iain, I had a great idea last night...why don't you make the layout in winter, as a snow scene!" Cue line dead at my end. He soon changed his mind when I gave him a quote for the extra work. :lol: :lol:

Hi Iain.

Had something similar happen way back in the 70s.

I had just finished this large layout set in the Cotswolds ( Colron perfect for Cotswold hues!)  when two guys travelled all the way up from Cornwall  wanting to buy it and put it in their 'Age Of Steam' complex.

Anyway, they took one look at it and said " We'll have it ( two grand then) but only if you'll paint all the cottages white so it looks like Cornwall !

I said I ain't paintin' nothin' white and for an extra 500, you can paint it yourself - "Eh" came the bewildered reply and they bxxxxxxd off !

It was crap anyway.

Cheers.

Allan.

Brilliant stuff Iain! I especially like the canopies. I take it there's some suitably intricate truss-work going on under there? ;)

Something about exaggerated window reveal depth...

These are definitely the last photos of Tetford ... I promise! A couple of the quay that were in the back-up drive. I really enjoyed making all the different levels in this area, using mainly Das stonework and Slater's embossed brick plastic sheet.

post-18033-0-39715700-1372849958.jpg

This is a gull's eye view as it searches for someone with a bag of chips to plunder. The grey trackway to the top right is the roadbed for the "main line" which had yet to be laid when I took the photo. In the centre is the course of an old abandoned narrow gauge tramway, now forgotten.

post-18033-0-45835200-1372850306.jpg

And that's it, unless my customer can be persuaded to come up with some shots of the "lost" parts of the layout, the viillage and the bridge over the Tet. Over to you, John!

Beyond stunning, beyond awesome, words alone just cannot describe the magnificence - if it gets better than this, well I ain't seen it...

Allan.

You are very kind, Allan...I'll slip you that tenner later, mate.  Your words above could actually be anyone describing that cathedral of yours, or the steelworks, or the mill, or the churches, or your cotswold buildings, or....or....

cheers,

Iain

You are very kind, Allan...I'll slip you that tenner later, mate.  Your words above could actually be anyone describing that cathedral of yours, or the steelworks, or the mill, or the churches, or your cotswold buildings, or....or....

cheers,

Iain

We both paint with different brush strokes Iain, your's have bristles, mine don't !

Cheers.

Allan.

Have no fear Freebs, I know his game, he'll wait til I'm right plumb out of material then he'll hit me with the kind of modell making that'll stun me into submission!

He's been doing it to me for over 40 years now ever since my mate Lionel Curry got him, and not me, to build him a farm !

Cheers.

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

And there I thought Robinson had been sneaking off to his own thread........only to find Hansel and Gretel Downes is on the same thread shamelessly throwing pictures around like confetti.

Cor who can you trust.....

Archived