Allan, apparently the FBI mistook my order for ten gallon drums of MEK for a botched attempt to smuggle crytal meth into the country, but they say I can go home this weekend! More to come on this thread, been very busy!

cheers,

Iain

PS which bits am I forgiven and which ones am I still in trouble about???

One of the last buildings I made for Tetford was this garage, which was featured in MRJ 194. The photos with the article were pitifully small, so I am reproducing them here at a better size. I've since made a couple more garages, but this was a favourite of mine and I must confess, I didn't want to give it to the customer. Unfortunately I don't have more photos of the garage on the layout, in fact, I don't have any shots of the last board, which pains me greatly.

post-18033-0-12528100-1366458299.jpg

post-18033-0-48004700-1366458354.jpg

post-18033-0-05662400-1366458395.jpg

post-18033-0-43947500-1366458430.jpg

Guest jonte

Hi Iain, and welcome back.

I thought I'd seen Finney's garage before: I'm not surprised you were reluctant to part with it. Wonderful attention to detail; I can almost smell that oily aroma emanating from the workshop.

Worthy of further scrutiny indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonte

Thank you, Jonte.

I have missed this nice environment on here...it's good to be back! Glad you liked the garage, I am almost tempted to build another once the projects on the bench are finished...

cheers,

Iain

Hi Iain, and welcome back.

I thought I'd seen Finney's garage before: I'm not surprised you were reluctant to part with it. Wonderful attention to detail; I can almost smell that oily aroma emanating from the workshop.

Worthy of further scrutiny indeed.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonte

Iain.

I found out this afternoon how to make an audio file so I recorded myself playing  APACHE, with full backing - brilliant!

But It won't bloody upload from my files - it tells me that it's too big at about 100mil square!

Now gotta get a memory stick...

Cheers

Allan.

I'd love to hear that!  But please, tell me that you're not still wearing that white suit and the big Hank Marvin glasses... :jester:

I might just have to upload my bagpipe version now...be very afraid!

cheers,

Iain

Iain.

I found out this afternoon how to make an audio file so I recorded myself playing  APACHE, with full backing - brilliant!

But It won't bloody upload from my files - it tells me that it's too big at about 100mil square!

Now gotta get a memory stick...

Cheers

Allan.

Iain / Allan,

Do your customers receive a free bagpipe / guitar CD with every building.....????  :O

No, but once the entire editorial crew of MODEL RAIL got  three hours solid me giving them all the Shads greatest hits while they photographed the layout!

I'd love to hear that!  But please, tell me that you're not still wearing that white suit and the big Hank Marvin glasses... :jester:

I might just have to upload my bagpipe version now...be very afraid!

cheers,

Iain

If I could make a vid and get it to work on here you could have the displeasure of seeing what I look like in a white suit and large glasses now - scary!

Regards to you both.

Allan.

Definitely the last installment of Tetford...

post-18033-0-68811500-1366742436_thumb.jpg

The rooks, high up in the trees above Castle Rise, hoarsely cry their disapproval as the shrill sound of a locomotive whistle disturbs them. Holmes, looking down the short road to the Great Western Railway’s station, turns to Watson. “Well, Watson, what do you make of this place, eh?” Watson looks around him in a dazed sort of way- the journey from Paddington has been long and the facilities meagre- “ Quite ordinary, I suppose …although that lamp post leans somewhat.”

Holmes averts his eyes to the now wheeling rooks. “Watson! Open your eyes, man! We have somehow strayed into a parallel dimension, and if my eyes do not deceive me, the barge boards and windows here are from Langley Models etched details sheet V1! We’ve been miniaturized! I sense the hand of Moriarty, Watson….”

post-18033-0-95708800-1366742919.jpg

Reality intrudes...

My partner’s father, Bill Brown (Watlington, RM July 2006) offered me a small castle that he had built for a previous layout. As with all Bill’s work, it was superb, and this gave me an idea for a road leading up to the castle as a focal point. There is nothing very unusual in the construction methods used, the main building shells are from card, and windows are, as Holmes noted, from Langley etched detail sheets. A couple are from the excellent Wills detail packs, and I can’t praise these too highly.

Establishing the levels was tricky, and I found a sketched elevation was useful before I started. I wanted the road to be steep, yet not so that a trough would have to be installed at the top by the Horse’s Humane Society. We had a day trip off to Ruthin to find some shop prototypes- of course, I came back wanting to model the whole town, but I secured some good reference shots. It’s no use, in my book anyway, building a model without referring to the prototype. I also had some shots of Conwy which let me see how the castle related to the town.

under+construction.jpgFrontages under construction, mainly from 2mm card.

The buildings themselves are all a mixture of vernacular and town, or “polite” as the historians call them- and the first building that I tackled was the middle one, Benham’s, the ice cream and sweet shop. I had fun giving the shops names- the head boards are made on the computer and printed off on good quality laser printer paper. The signs have to be just the right size- too small and they are illegible, too big and they just look wrong. Shop windows are all from the Langley etched sheet, (V1) as Holmes so cleverly pointed out, which includes fittings for blinds.

I made some detailed interiors, for the Bollin café and for Castle books. Again, Langley do some nice interior detail castings. I am ashamed to say that I spent several hours detailing the interior of the Bollin café – and you can hardly see anything from the outside- I shall have to install lighting!

post-18033-0-95044800-1366742744.jpg

The Bollin Cafe

castlebooks+sml.jpgA cruel close up of the frontage of Castle Books

It was a bit of a struggle knitting the buildings and their levels together, but the roofs were even worse. It’s all part of the fun, though, and as it progresses, the scene comes together. I built the road up using scrap card on formers, then “tarmacced” it with Das, smoothed when wet, then sanded for a smooth finish.

The doctor’s house, at the foot of the rise, differs slightly in that it has pretensions to Georgian style- the windows are from the Scale Link range. This manufacturer’s range is another one worthy of exploration by anyone who models structures. I finished it off with some Heki bushes and a Langley post-mounted mail box. There’s also a horse mounting block , made from Das scribed with a knife blade.

post-18033-0-48243800-1366742680.jpg

The Doctor's House

The hedges are the work of my partner, Petra, who spent a few hours disappearing under a mound of sea foam, rubberized horsehair and Woodland Scenics light green ground foam, which she magically transformed with PVA glue. I think we should get an agri grant from the EEC for this- reviving traditional skills and all that. She is also responsible for the delicate touches such as the light weathering on the road and the trackways and rough grass in the field. This adds the finishing touch. Not to be outdone, Bill then produced two magnificent trees, which compliment the scene perfectly, giving a heavy, summer quality to the model.

post-18033-0-83353000-1366742875.jpg

post-18033-0-40370300-1366743098.jpg

Watson stood by the bench at the top of the rise, startling an unusually large seagull, as Holmes studied the information board outside the castle Keep: “I say, Holmes- that’s a marvellous old tree! Shouldn’t wonder if it dates back to mediaeval times, eh?”

Holmes looked round at Watson, then at the tree. “Ah, yes. A notable specimen of the Horsehair Chestnut, if I am not mistaken! And now, my dear fellow, shall we adjourn for tea in this establishment?”

Evening+View.jpg

There's a mirror in each of the castle doors, set back a little, which gives an uncanny feeling of depth.
"Smoke and Mirrors, Watson..."

post-18033-0-35558700-1366743408.jpg

I'm seriously impressed, I don't know who this man is gentlemen, but he's come a long way since the wilds of Scotland where it took a friend of mine, and possibily the greatest modellmaker ever to walk this planet but who has long since disappeared, four weeks to find him and when he did, he was shown a few models, given a bowl of porridge and sent back to Watford.

Iain, I take my hat off to you even though I don't wear one !

Cheers, see you on our other Thread.

Allan -  but don't bring these pictures !!!

Guest jonte

Deeply reminiscent of a Welsh walled town, Iain. I'd swear I've seen those shops in Beaumaris- and those castle walls; and the large seagull sort of confirms my suspicions !!!!!!

Lovely.

Thanks also for sharing your methods. Lots for we novices to store away for future projects. I like the way you compliment your scratchbuilds with trade items; kind of gives the rest of us the green light to go ahead without making everything ourselves.

Enjoyed the narrative too: relaxing and witty.

Just a shame that we've reached the last instalment of Tetford; however, grateful that you shared it with us on the forum.

Best wishes,

Jonte.

Thank you, Jonte. I am flattered that you like the work - yes, Beaumaris is one of my favourite towns and did indeed inspire the shops - well spotted! Using trade items often seems like a bonus, especially if they fit in well...why waste time making something when someone has spent hours making a prototype for you, I say!

There were whole areas of Tetford that I never got round to photographing and I really regret that. Sadly I have lost touch with my customer...maybe he reads this thread and can supply some more photos!!

Thanks again Jonte,

cheers,

Iain

Very Inspirational, especially since I was starting to think about adding a row of shops to my layout Barkham Green.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/49278-barkham-green-gwr-oo-layout/

Just managed to pick these etched windows, which I think should be V2 not V1, half price from hobbybase so I shall be having a go at my own version of these shops, using Wills coarse stone as the base

I take it the rest of the window surrounds is from Wills detailing kit S42, how many packs did you need for these 3 buildings?

Glad you liked the shops!

I went and had a look at your layout- very nice indeed. I think a row of shops would be very fine on there. I used both Langley V1 and V2 on the shops. I must go and have a look at Hobbybase now!

I really can't remember where the window surrounds were from...probably Wills, I bought a huge number of detailing packs years ago!!

Let me know how you get on

cheers

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Advantage Robinson!

Iain, it's brilliant. That first shot got my attention completely. I actually thought it was a cheat photo composed of part model and part real photos! I think the doctor's house and castle Books are my favourite buildings, they have all the character and look real. Very nice also that you were three people working on it, that must make it a special project for you.

But you are in trouble now because we expect a full Sherlock Holmes story to develop from this. Incidentally, I note from the photo below that there are not one but two Hounds of the Baskervilles! :jester:

post-18033-0-40370300-1366743098.jpg

Advantage Robinson!

Iain, it's brilliant. That first shot got my attention completely. I actually thought it was a cheat photo composed of part model and part real photos! I think the doctor's house and castle Books are my favourite buildings, they have all the character and look real. Very nice also that you were three people working on it, that must make it a special project for you.

But you are in trouble now because we expect a full Sherlock Holmes story to develop from this. Incidentally, I note from the photo below that there are not one but two Hounds of the Baskervilles! :jester:

Thanks, Mikkel! I am chuffed that you thought it was a cheat!! I really enjoyed making Castle Books....I do love browsing in old places like that. Yes, it was great working with Petra on the project. Bill tends to just appear... with, for instance, a castle or a tree....very good man to have around! Petra always looks at whatever I'm building and tells me that I need more weathering or detailing, she has a proper artist's eye, which isn't surprising since she is one!

Hmm...Sherlock Holmes and the case of the thin black line...  oh, yes, the hounds - not to mention the gull!

cheers,

Iain

Thanks for comments about layouts, with regards to shops may try and do them like this

http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24965&hl=

But got to finish the cottages first

I like those shops, to my mind they look a lot like Sherbourne in Dorset. Look forward to seeing how you get on!

cheers,

Iain

Archived