Modelling in Foamex

post-15693-0-64988200-1364990656_thumb.jpg

Hi all - just thought I'd share this picture of a model I made using 1mm foamex sheet.

As I work in the exhibition and sign industry I have access to tons of offcuts, so was determined to make use of the stuff. The basic shell was made using 1mm foamex to enable 3inch scale window rebates allowing me to flush mount the windows behind the walls. The 1mm sheets are quite flimsy, so are strengthened behind at each gable end with 3mm foamex and as internal walls. All walls were painstakingly scribed first using a scalpel to mark the line, then using a filed down screwdriver to add more detail. Guttering is made from a 2mm wide strip of 1mm foamex filed round (carefully) and then slivers of paper used to make the brackets. Downpipe was pinched from an old Hornby Georgian terrace kit.

Roof tiles are from strips of thin textured wallpaper notched at 4mm intervals

I initially used the foamex as an experiment to see whether it was a viable medium for sribing stone on this tunnel portal:

post-15693-0-48640200-1364990667.jpg

I'm currently building a much larger an ambitious Station Building project over on my blogger blog

I'm intrigued, foamex is presumably a trade name, is this a foam core with paper on either side (like Kappa board) or something different.

Tony Comber

It's a compressed pvc that's easily bent and takes scribing quite well:

this is what we buy in:

we refer to it as Foamex, but the brand is actually Forex

http://www.amariplastics.com/amariplastics/products/productview.asp?tid=102

I'm intrigued, foamex is presumably a trade name, is this a foam core with paper on either side (like Kappa board) or something different.

Tony Comber

Yes, I think it is like Kappa, too.

cheers,

Iain

attachicon.gifdaylight-1.jpg

Hi all - just thought I'd share this picture of a model I made using 1mm foamex sheet.

As I work in the exhibition and sign industry I have access to tons of offcuts, so was determined to make use of the stuff. The basic shell was made using 1mm foamex to enable 3inch scale window rebates allowing me to flush mount the windows behind the walls. The 1mm sheets are quite flimsy, so are strengthened behind at each gable end with 3mm foamex and as internal walls. All walls were painstakingly scribed first using a scalpel to mark the line, then using a filed down screwdriver to add more detail. Guttering is made from a 2mm wide strip of 1mm foamex filed round (carefully) and then slivers of paper used to make the brackets. Downpipe was pinched from an old Hornby Georgian terrace kit.

Roof tiles are from strips of thin textured wallpaper notched at 4mm intervals

I initially used the foamex as an experiment to see whether it was a viable medium for sribing stone on this tunnel portal:

attachicon.giftunnel2.jpg

I'm currently building a much larger an ambitious Station Building project over on my blogger blog

Superb stuff, nice to see some large pics...you're the man, Lee...these are great!

cheers mate,

Iain

Yes, I think it is like Kappa, too.

cheers,

Iain

No - it's not like Kappa - it's a compressed pvc material, there's no backing paper and it carves/embosses quite well. I'm still experimenting with using it for retaining walls and I'll definitely be using it for my platform surfaces. I'm wondering if I should start offering a service packaging some up in A4 sizes as I can't seem to find it online (we throw so much away it's criminal)

No - it's not like Kappa - it's a compressed pvc material, there's no backing paper and it carves/embosses quite well. I'm still experimenting with using it for retaining walls and I'll definitely be using it for my platform surfaces. I'm wondering if I should start offering a service packaging some up in A4 sizes as I can't seem to find it online (we throw so much away it's criminal)

Sorry, Lee :sorry:

I have been labouring under a misapprehension, then! I haven't come across this before and assumed that it was the Kappa type material that you'd been referring to on your blogger blog. Must pay more attention!

cheers,

Iain

Foamex is excellent stuff! I have used offcuts of it for all sorts of structural things on our layout but not scenically. I have built buildings from it but faced it with embossed plasticard. We've used it for supporting scenery, retaining walls, control panels, baseboard fascia and platforms. It can be cut with a craft knife like plasticard (depending on thickness), takes screws and can be glued with superglue and impact adhesive. Great material that comes in a wide range of thicknesses but I'm told it's a bit expensive to buy. Best befriend someone at your local signmakers to grab the offcuts!

JF

Foamex is excellent stuff! I have used offcuts of it for all sorts of structural things on our layout but not scenically. I have built buildings from it but faced it with embossed plasticard. We've used it for supporting scenery, retaining walls, control panels, baseboard fascia and platforms. It can be cut with a craft knife like plasticard (depending on thickness), takes screws and can be glued with superglue and impact adhesive. Great material that comes in a wide range of thicknesses but I'm told it's a bit expensive to buy. Best befriend someone at your local signmakers to grab the offcuts!

JF

That's where working where I do has it's perks! I'm going to be making a lot of retaining walls with the stuff. It's excellent for wall capping too!

Cheers Iain.

Since that photo was taken this afternoon, I've added the roof to the supports, all ready to start tiling...BUT! mustn't jump the gun and need to add flashing around the chimney stack sides and the valley gutters first...

Beautiful buildings!! The foamex sounds promising too, have to see what it is called over here and if there is a local supplier. 

Can you glue paper to it using PVA, was thinking along the line of using it for Scalescenes products. 

Hi B

Beautiful buildings!! The foamex sounds promising too, have to see what it is called over here and if there is a local supplier. 

Can you glue paper to it using PVA, was thinking along the line of using it for Scalescenes products. 

You can indeed glue paper to it and I've made a couple of Scalescenes products with it - although I've used double sided adhesive to stick the paper down in my case. Seems it is a trade name - we also get a product called Forex and Palfoam - http://www.palram.com/PALFOAM. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere you can buy it, other than for Trade just yet, so it seems I've created a little niche modelling substrate as yet only available to signwriters etc..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived