Can You I.D These Nuclear Flask Barrier Wagons? And other related questions.

Hello boys and girls,

Recent activity on the 'Sandy Hill' Layout Topic ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/12553-sandy-hill-layout-in-cornwall-br-blue-00-gauge/page-15 ) has sparked some nuclear flask train interest in me followed by some interweb researching.

So, third picture down in this link:

http://www.penmorfa.com/Archive/thirtyone.htm

could someone tell me what the barrier wagons are for the first pair of flask wagons please? And whether they were regularly used as barrier wagons and are they comercially available in 4mm?

Also, how common was the use of HAA MGR wagons as barriers? Other than a quick glimpse of one in the Sandy Hill thread in a barrier role i can find no images.

HEA hoppers and the barriers converted from them seem to be the most common in use in the late 80s-90s period but i'd like to keep my options open :-)

Cheers

I've only seen HAA ,or HOP26AB as I think they then were, as barrier wagons on oil trains in the late 1960s, when there were more of them than there were jobs.

Apart from the HEA, and its modified form, with body removed, the other wagons in the photos look like:-

Two BDA (Bachmann) in the photo of the three 31s at Prestatyn

Two ex-VIX ferryvans (was in the Hornby range) in the view of 25212 at Abergele.

I think S-Kits might do the top for the hopper-less HEA.

Definitely BDAs or similar. From about 1993/94 only bogie vehicles could be used between Llandudno Jct. & Trawsfynydd. A Queen Mary brake van would also be used for this very reason.

Would that be for weight distribution? The longer boge wagons effectively acting as reach wagons such that there is (more) separation between the bulk of the locomotives and the (lesser) bulk of the flasks?

Would that be for weight distribution? The longer boge wagons effectively acting as reach wagons such that there is (more) separation between the bulk of the locomotives and the (lesser) bulk of the flasks?

It was just for a period of about 12 months while some track refurbishment was carried out, to reduce axle load and wheelbase. Once the track was in order the trains returned to the 4 wheelers using RRA & CARs.

Merf.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick 'bump' back up for fresh eyes to look at, any advance on wheather HAAs were used as barriers or whether it was just HEAs? (I could have sworn i'd seen HAA's mentioned elsewhere!)

Thanks

Yes, now and again the Trawsfynnedd flask had a HAA in the train , in the absence of the regular barriers. Other unusual barriers used have been a Seacow and  a Sturgeon.

Merf.

Archived