OliverSR's Workbench- K’s 14XX

Here is the start of my Workbench On this forum so if anyone wants to they can see what I am working on. 

I thought I would have a go at a quick project initially.

This is the loco in question a K's 14XX which I recently picked up and wanted to restore.
As you can see the loco is quite battered and parts have broken off. Even though the livery is decent its not suitable for my BR layout and I thought I could repaint it as number 1401(The first one in the Titfield Thunderbolt) though I would like mine to be pristine and in BR livery rather than dirty black. It runs well however so I will just smarten it up basically.
The first job to do is to strip off the old paintwork which I did with B&Q paint stripper which I generously painted over and then scrubbed off the paint a few times.
This is how the loco looked once I had stripped the paint off the body and I was pleased to discover that it had a rather nice Brass part which I cleaned up and intend to leave all shiny.
I then sprayed the loco with Halfords Satin black which gave me a good finish and still looked crisp and sharp detailing.
Then I painted the smokebox, underframe and cab roof in Humbrol Dirty Black as I have seem others use this technique to great effect. I also started to paint the bufferbeam and gave the wheels and chassis a quick touch up.
This is how it looks tonight and I need to still do some tidying up and finishing off but I am overall pleased with my efforts.
OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 7

110samec I though it was just a brass thing too.

When I was striping the paint off the loco I noticed it was brass rather than the expected white metal and with a light tug it came off. I was then able to get to the parts of the cab behind it and I could shine up the Safety Valve bonnet with some brasso to make it lovely and shiny.

I decided that I wanted it to be shiny even if it is not likely in BR times. I am someone who likes a shiny and clean train and would never weather anything so I am doing it it pristine condition as thats my personal preference.

OliverSR

Edited by OliverSR
  • Like 1

Hi Oliver,

It wasn't unknown for them to be kept shiny by the shed crews despite the order for them to be painted on smaller locomotives. The story goes that the crews on the Fairford branch had procured from somewhere an old safety valve bonnet (or brass shiny thing if you prefer!). This was fitted to the engines when they went off for overhaul, the ones they had spent time polishing on the engine being squirrelled away in the shed. When the locos came back, it was likely that if any work had been done on the bonnet at all it would have had a coat of paint slapped over it at best. The old mangy one came off and went back in to store, nice brass shiny thing back in place. That old safety valve bonnet must have been through quite a few visits to Swindon... It's nice when you can tie in a bit of reality* to your model like this isn't it?!

All the best,

Castle

*find a GENUINE excuse!

Thanks for the positive feedback.
Time for some more progress I think.
The loco has had further tidying up and I have found the gold paint so picked out the whistle which is molded on(even though this isn't great I am not overly fussed and it would be more trouble than its worth to replace in my opinion).
F50D1DF8-A6FB-44CC-95F3-5049518A779B-285
Then it was time for the loco to get her crests. I used pressfix BR small early crests and the application was really simple and easy to do a good job. Cut around the transfer whilst not cutting all the way through, peel away and place where you want the crest. Then press it in place and soak for 30 seconds before removing the carrying paper thing and dabbing dry. I am rather pleased with the result.
48BEDDF0-AC89-4ABA-A282-F7205D0AC7DC-285
Not much left to do now, some coal is needed in the bunker and then have some fun with it at the local club test track. Its number plates need to be bought and added too.
Once I have properly finished it I will take some better photos as this is only from my phone and so I promise you some better(less flattering?) photos once its fully finished.
OliverSR

• Like 6

Done some more work on the 14xx

I have received plates in the post and so have coaled up the loco and fitted the numbers though still need to sort out the smokebox door number. For the coal I painted the inside pf the bunker with PVA before putting the coal in and then covering with a 50/50 PVA water mixture and left to dry, the result is that all the coal is held perfectly in place. The plates were removed from the strut and filed neat before gluing into place.
E0E75BCD-3A48-4D34-BD50-CA153AF4D8F0-233
Almost finished now and it will be run in and tested at the local club tomorrow. Maybe I might want to do some more tidying up and detailing but I will see how it runs first.
OliverSR

• Like 3

Hi Oliver,

That looks like a good job - well done! I have just put some transfers on a 14XX myself. Have a look at my Little Didcot thread to see my version. What with No. 1401, all you need now is a grey TOAD and a Wisbeach and Upwell Tramway passenger coach.

And a Ks Milestones kit of Lion and a Loriot with a 4 wheel coach body load in it.

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

• 7 months later...

I have not really made any progress with the 14xx as once I tried re-assembling the train its running was not satisfactory and so I have begun dissasembling the chassis but I have since boxed the project away for the time being.

I have been doing other modeling however

As someone who has an interest in London Underground last year being the 150th anniversary the fictional repaint of a prairie tank loco into LT maroon. Bachmann did release a model of it but since it was at a premium I wasn't considering getting it. At a car boot sale I happened across a Lima Prairie for under a tenner and thought I could get it and repaint it. My efforts may not be as good as Bachmanns but at 10% of the cost their one it was a compromise I could live with happily. Once I had got it home and cleaned it up and got it running I looked at the prototype. Strangely Bachmann model has lining on the footplate sides and cylinders which the real one does not seem to have so that less work for me. I needed to repaint it into maroon and line and number the sides. I had done repaints before but no attempts at lining a loco(I preferred wartime liveries and BR Black in the past). I had some LT Transfers from my 3D printing work with Radley Models for a metropolitan BTH loco(http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70288-metropolitan-british-thompson-loco-a-3d-print-project/http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70288-metropolitan-british-thompson-loco-a-3d-print-project/) and so I had everything I needed to have a crack at decorating the prairie. This is the result of my efforts.

DSCF2580_zpsaec21983.jpg

I am overall very pleased with the loco for a first attempt at a lined loco and it will run as a novelty on my layout doing steam on the met events.

OliverSR

• Like 3

• 7 years later...
  • OliverSR changed the title to OliverSR's Workbench- K’s 14XX