Laser cut baseboards

At Exeter we had some CNC routed ply boards made by a local friendly company. Hoping to get him at next years exhibition.

Pretty much slot and tab fit like etched kits but using glue and screws (wood doesn't solder to well :) )

I had two base boards built to by design using tab and slot by a local firm using CNC routers.

I originally specified 6mm  birch ply, however I was advised to use Malayan ply.

This was explained to me that the Birch ply had a greater variation in thickness compared to the Malayan. 

When I went to collect my parts I was shown a large sheet of ply that looked like a giant etched kit.

All the parts fitted to gether very well, to such an extent that you could thump the parts  together without any glue, screws or pins,

and walk round with the assembled base board without it falling appart.

All the tab and slots were a tight fit, the tabs requiring a slight chamfer on the edges.

The company drew up the design on their computer using my rough sketch.

The cost was £75 per baseboard.

Certainly a process that I would use again.

Gordon A

Bristol

That's a pretty good price, how big were these boards and who was the company that did them for you?

Mine are working out about £30 per module in materials (including all the nuts, bolts and other fittings) for each module + box.  Luckily I have a friend with access to a mid-sized laser cutter (900x600mm bed) who has been kind enough to cut them for me for free.  Each module + box takes 3 or 4 sheets on that machine.  I did look at a couple of firms and the quotes came back between £50 and £200 per module for laser cutting.

The base boards were 3ft x 18 inches. The company that did it were behind Avon Plywood,Pixash Works, Pixash Lane, Keynsham, Bristol BS31 1TR - 0117 986 1383 : Fax 0117 986 1725.

At the time Avon Plywood could not offer a CNC serevice, but it appears that they can now.

Gordon A

Bristol

Archived