Standard Permanent Way Drawings

At work the other week, we had some things moved around which included our Pway bench (I work in Pway design). To enable the removal men to carry out the work, I got given the task of clearing and temporarily storing some of our more historical Pway items. Along with 10s of books containing old OS maps, we have a collection of Standard Pway Drawings (copies of the originals).

As you can imagine I found them and many of the other items very interesting to look at and I spent some considerable time studying these drawings. I then realised that these drawings contained much of the information I have been looking for in regards to track construction and especially details of chairs on pointwork.

I am hoping that is is possible to scan these drawings for my own personal use (they are on film so are not fragile), or perhaps there may be others who would like to see a copy of a particular drawing? If I cannot create any copies then I will just take photographs of the ones I need or simply study them while at work. I will however, make a list of the drawings we have and post them on here when I can, that way if someone would like to see a specific drawing I can easily pick it out.

Unfortunately, the drawings will not be freely accessible to myself in the future as they still need to be stored safely (I'm still trying to come up with a way of doing this). Luckily they are currently on my desk until they can be stored so I will try to at least take a picture of each before this happens. Once I have posted a list on here of what I have access to, please feel free to ask for a picture of what you may need.

Michael 

I managed to get 10 minutes spare today so I was able to note down some of the drawing details. I will try and get the rest as soon as I can, but for now I will put the current list on here.

Standard Railway Equipment – Permanent Way:

No.1 L - Sleeper Spacing and Details of Fastenings – 95R. B.S. Rail

No.2 - B.S. Fishplates and Details of Rail Drilling – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.3 - Insulated Fishplates & Details of Rail Drilling – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.4A - Common Chair. A.S.I.  46 LB. – 95R, B.S. Rail (90R & 85R B.S. Rails can also be used in this chair)

No.5 - Joint Chair. SI-J.  53 LB. - 95R, B.S. Rail (100R & 85R B.S. Rails can also be used in this chair)

No.8 – “A” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.9 - “B” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.10 - “C” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.11 - “D” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.12 - “E” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.12A - “F” Undercut Switches. 95R, B.S. Rail

No.13 – “A” Straight Cut Switches. 95R B.S. Rail

No.14 - “B” Straight Cut Switches. 95R B.S. Rail

No.15 - “C” Straight Cut Switches. 95R B.S. Rail

No.16 - “D” Straight Cut Switches. 95R B.S. Rail

No.17 - “E” Straight Cut Switches. 95R B.S. Rail

No.20 L – Switch Stretcher Bars & Soleplate. First Bar for Undercut Switches - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.21 L - Switch Stretcher Bars & Soleplate. First Bar for Straight Cut Switches - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.22 L – Second & Third Switch Stretcher Bars for Undercut & Straight Cut Switches – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.23 L – Switch Stretcher Bars and Soleplate for 1 in 8 Double Slip Roads. First Bars for Undercut and Straight Cut Switches – 95R, B.S. Rails

No.23A L – Soleplates for 1 in 7 and 1 in 8 Obtuse Angle Crossings With Single Slip Roads – 85R and 95R, B.S. Rail

No.23B L – Stretcher Bars for 1 in 7, 71/2 and 8 Obtuse Angle Crossings With Single Slip and Double Slip Roads 95R, B.S. and 85R, B.S. Rail

No.23C L – Soleplates for 1 in 7 & 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossings With Double Slip Roads and 1 in 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossings With Single Slip Roads – 85R and 95R, B.S. Rail

No.24 L – Insulated Switch Stretcher Bars & Soleplate. First Bar for Undercut Switches - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.25 L - Insulated Switch Stretcher Bars & Soleplate. First Bar for Straight Cut Switches - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.27 L - Insulated Switch Stretcher Bars & Soleplate for 1 in 8 Double Slip Roads. First Bar for Undercut and Straight Cut Switches - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.27A – Stretcher Bars, Soleplate and Fittings for Switch Diamond Crossings – 95R, B.S. Rail (Angles 1 in 7, 71/2, 8, 9, 10, 11, &12)

No.28 – Common Crossings 1 in 4 & 1 in 41/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.28A – Common and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 31/2 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.28B - Common and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 3 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.28C - Common and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 21/2 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.28D - Common and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 2 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.29 – Common Crossings – 1 in 5 and 1 in 51/2 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.30 - Common Crossings 1 in 6 and 1 in 61/2 - 95R, B.S. Rail

The North Eastern Railway Assoc, publish a book of drawings of "Standard Railway Track". Although LNER, the equipment is standard and was also adopted by the LMS, Southern, London Underground and to a slightly lesser degree the Great Western.

It is my understanding that out of the 'big four' the GWR were the only ones who didn't adopt the same standard as the other three but instead had their own, and when nationalisation took place at the end of 1947 it was the standards of the others that were adopted (most probably due to the amount of infrastructure between the others compared to what the Great Western owned). The drawings I have access to are from the BR drawing office and the ones which have dates on are around 1952 and 1957. I can't imagine much changed in the way of standard components between pre nationalisation and then. Of course if you were after info on Great Western then these would be of no use unfortunately (which is one of the reasons why the layout I am constructing with joint LMS/GWR running powers has LMS infrastructure).

I have managed to complete the list of the drawings that I have access to the overall list is quite long and some titles are not as clear as they could be, but they are the titles of the drawings. If there is one that you would like to know the details of what is contained in the drawing, then just let me know which one and I can post the details on here.

No.31 – Common Crossings 1 in 7 & 1 in 71/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.32 - Common Crossings 1 in 8 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.33 L - Common Crossings 1 in 9 & 1 in 10 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.33A - Common Crossings 1 in 101/2 & 1 in 11 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34 - Common Crossings 1 in 12 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34A L - Common Crossings 1 in 14 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34B L – Chairs for 1 in 14 Common Crossing – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.35 – Common Crossing 1 in 16 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.35A – Common Crossing 1 in 20 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.36 L – Chairs for Common Crossings – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.36A – Chairs for Common Crossings and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 11/2 to 1 in 31/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.37 L – Chairs for Common Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.38 L – Chairs for Common Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.38A – Common Crossing Chairs to Take Parallel Wing Rails (L.N.E.R.)

No.42 – Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 61/2, 1 in 7 & 1 in 71/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.43 LMR – Obtuse Angle Crossing 1 in 8 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.44 LMR – Chairs for Obtuse Angle Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.45 L – 1 in 8 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.45B L – 1 in 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46 Y – Chairs for 1 in 7 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46A Y – Chairs for 1 in 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46B Y – Chairs for 1 in 8 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.47 l – M.I.Chair. 43 LB - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.47A Y – S.I.N & S.I.O Chairs - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.48 Y – S.I. S.I. – J & S.2. Common Chair Gauges - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.48 A/L – L.N.E.R. Standard Permanent Way – Tandem Leads to Either Side of Main - 95R, RBS Rail & 85 RBS Rail With ¾” Nose. (Tandem No.1A, 2A, 3A)

No.48 F/L – L.N.E.R. Standard Permanent Way – Tandem Leads to Either Side of Main - 95R, RBS Rail & 85 RBS Rail With ¾” Nose. (Tandem No.4, 5, 6)

trustytrev, in reply to your request; I will see what I can do. There is a limit to the size of file that can be uploaded on here/emailed, and if I scan it the file size will be high as it's the only way to bring out clarity. If I am able to copy them perhaps I could send you a printed copy for a small fee to cover postage? Please bear in mind that these are all suggestions for the time being.

Michael

I have managed to complete the list of the drawings that I have access to the overall list is quite long and some titles are not as clear as they could be, but they are the titles of the drawings. If there is one that you would like to know the details of what is contained in the drawing, then just let me know which one and I can post the details on here.

No.31 – Common Crossings 1 in 7 & 1 in 71/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.32 - Common Crossings 1 in 8 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.33 L - Common Crossings 1 in 9 & 1 in 10 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.33A - Common Crossings 1 in 101/2 & 1 in 11 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34 - Common Crossings 1 in 12 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34A L - Common Crossings 1 in 14 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.34B L – Chairs for 1 in 14 Common Crossing – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.35 – Common Crossing 1 in 16 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.35A – Common Crossing 1 in 20 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.36 L – Chairs for Common Crossings – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.36A – Chairs for Common Crossings and Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 11/2 to 1 in 31/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.37 L – Chairs for Common Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.38 L – Chairs for Common Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.38A – Common Crossing Chairs to Take Parallel Wing Rails (L.N.E.R.)

No.42 – Obtuse Angle Crossings 1 in 61/2, 1 in 7 & 1 in 71/2 – 95R, B.S. Rail

No.43 LMR – Obtuse Angle Crossing 1 in 8 - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.44 LMR – Chairs for Obtuse Angle Crossings - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.45 L – 1 in 8 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.45B L – 1 in 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46 Y – Chairs for 1 in 7 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46A Y – Chairs for 1 in 71/2 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.46B Y – Chairs for 1 in 8 Obtuse Angle Crossing With Single & Double Slip Roads - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.47 l – M.I.Chair. 43 LB - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.47A Y – S.I.N & S.I.O Chairs - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.48 Y – S.I. S.I. – J & S.2. Common Chair Gauges - 95R, B.S. Rail

No.48 A/L – L.N.E.R. Standard Permanent Way – Tandem Leads to Either Side of Main - 95R, RBS Rail & 85 RBS Rail With ¾” Nose. (Tandem No.1A, 2A, 3A)

No.48 F/L – L.N.E.R. Standard Permanent Way – Tandem Leads to Either Side of Main - 95R, RBS Rail & 85 RBS Rail With ¾” Nose. (Tandem No.4, 5, 6)

trustytrev, in reply to your request; I will see what I can do. There is a limit to the size of file that can be uploaded on here/emailed, and if I scan it the file size will be high as it's the only way to bring out clarity. If I am able to copy them perhaps I could send you a printed copy for a small fee to cover postage? Please bear in mind that these are all suggestions for the time being.

Michael

Hello Michael,

Thanks for your offer but I am sorted with the drawings now.

trustytrev. :)

• 5 months later...

Hi tmnhif,

When would you need it by? I am quite happy to see what I can do, however, I am very busy at work this week. If I have time I may be able to pop in the office at the weekend. What format would you like the drawing in? Paper, electronically or pictures? Hopefully I can be of some assistance.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you soo much for posting it. However, I have problem with downloading it. Could you try to post it again? Or maybe you could send it to my email? I need it probably for the next week but don't worry if you are too busy.

Also, let me know will you be able to maybe post a cd with the copy of other drawings? I will of course pay for the postage.

Thank you,

Kay

I have just had a go at scanning No.42 drawing to the highest quality possible at 600 dpi. However, this created a file which is 704 MB; the quality is superb, every bit of detail as clear as the drawing itself, however, it's not really suitable for file sharing. One thing I can do is to take a general photo of any other drawings that are requested and some showing the important details; any questions regarding that particular drawing could then be clarified by either additional photos or a written answer. As for drawing No.42, I will take some photos and upload them in a seperate post, later this evening.

(I can probably still supply printed copies for a small fee, however, requests for every drawing would take some time. I just want to get all of them scanned first and copies can then be printed from those files. I don't get much spare time so the supply of these drawings would be when convinient for myself as this is not something I am doing to make a profit).

Any suggestions/questions then feel free to let me know.

Michael

Archived