SDRM Pickering show 2013

Mike J

The Scarborough and District RM 2013 show will be held at the Memorial Hall, Potter Hill, Pickering YO18 8AA on 17th and 18th August.

Details below;-

Saturday 10.00am to 5.00pm

Sunday 10.00am to 4.00pm

Adults           £3.50

Concessions £3.00 

Child             £2.00

Family (2+2) £9.00

Layouts

Coombe Martin (OO)

Dragonby (N)

Glenngary (1:36)

Greyscroft Mine (EM)

Kozel Cement (HO)

Pen-y-Madoc (EM)

Rumbling Bridge (OO)

Thomas and friends (OO)

Waterhouses and Longnor (009)

Wensleydale Cement and Lime (O)

Demonstrators

Bob Dawson

Richard Bannister

Simon Howard

Charitable Trusts

North Eastern Railway Autocar Trust

North Yorkshire moors Railway

Trade

DPP Model Railways (Dave Pywell)

Elmett Images (Simon Gott)

Going Loco (Mark Taylor)

Grosmont Bookshop (George Morton)

Model Market (Andy Rhodes)

Website link http://sdrmweb.co.uk/Home_Page.php

Hope to see you there, thanks for looking in.

Mike

We're very pleased to have Rumbling Bridge at our little gathering this year, fresh from it's trophy winning effort at Hartlepool. Voted best DCC model in the show, the layout depicts this rural Scottish station in the 1960's, and features sound on all locomotives, weathered and detailed stock, working semaphore signals and some beautifully created scenery and buildings. This is only it's third outing and the model is still receiving finishing touches to make it even better.

Built by Nick Skelton with help from SDRM members, we think it's his best yet and not to be missed.

Photos and video on the club website here.  http://sdrmweb.co.uk/Rumbling_Bridge.php

Thanks for looking in,

Mike

Hi Mike

After what has been a very busy year for the SDRM club our annual show is almost upon us. For the organising team all the negotiations (lots !) ,planning (lots !) and drinking ( !!! ) are almost over.

Nick Skeltons Rumbling bridge is superb  and his eye for detail has been carried through in his choice of exhibiting  layouts for this years show.

Dianne and I are thrilled to be part of this years event once again with the Glenngary tramway and will be in our usual place in the foyer.

Since its last outing the tramway has had a lot of new features added; A video camera and screen has been fitted to give a drivers eye view of the incline,Water  tanks and filling equipment has been modelled as this aspect of cliff lifts promoted most comment from the visitors.

Last year Mike did a tour of the show with a local radio presenter i wonder if he will go one better with a TV film crew this year,Mmmm better get my hair cut just in case.

Gary

Hi Mike

After what has been a very busy year for the SDRM club our annual show is almost upon us. For the organising team all the negotiations (lots !) ,planning (lots !) and drinking ( !!! ) are almost over.

Nick Skeltons Rumbling bridge is superb  and his eye for detail has been carried through in his choice of exhibiting  layouts for this years show.

Dianne and I are thrilled to be part of this years event once again with the Glenngary tramway and will be in our usual place in the foyer.

Since its last outing the tramway has had a lot of new features added; A video camera and screen has been fitted to give a drivers eye view of the incline,Water  tanks and filling equipment has been modelled as this aspect of cliff lifts promoted most comment from the visitors.

Last year Mike did a tour of the show with a local radio presenter i wonder if he will go one better with a TV film crew this year,Mmmm better get my hair cut just in case.

Gary

Thanks for the plug Gary...you beat me to the update about your layout...and made a better job of it than I would have.

This is one of two layouts in the show that the public can 'drive'. The other one is our new Thomas layout...built by...Nick Skelton. He has been busy this year!

The third floor of the exhibition is this year devoted to industry and has three layouts with a common theme, exhibited by friends of SDRM, Alan Wardman, Paul Gallon and Whitby MRC.

Kozel Cement is an inglenook design modelled in HO scale and depicts wagons being sorted under silos and loading hoppers close to the Polish/German border. The layout is dcc operated with sound fitted to some of the locomotives.

We move to Cleveland and EM gauge for Greyscroft mine, with it's superb scratch built buildings, including winding house, boiler house, water mill and railway structures. Kit and scratch built locomotives and rolling stock carry Ironstone to feed the local furnaces.

O gauge is the scale for the Wensleydale Cement and Lime Company layout which again features many scratch built items and once again shows how industry can still be depicted in a beautiful model.

Visitors with an interest in industrial railways are sure to spend a long time on this floor of the exhibition.  

Thanks for looking in,

Mike

It will be our pleasure to finally welcome Steve Farrow and 'Pen-Y-Madoc' to the show after circumstances forced a withdrawal last year. Featured in last months BRM, the EM scale layout is a bit of GWR Welsh 'might have been' and features a beautifully modelled timber trestle bridge, scratch built buildings and detailed and modified rtr locomotives and rolling stock. Steve has also created a history for the layout, depicting the summer of 1938 with dwindling freight traffic and holiday specials.

So, this year Pen-Y-Madoc will be at Pickering...all good things come to he who waits!

• RMweb Gold

Work is progressing well on Greyscroft Mine, the new lighting rig should be sorted by tomorrow night and the mine headgear is coming on well.

Wensleydale Cement looked good at the club last night, just a few little jobs to complete on that next Wednesday night.

One week to go.

Unfortunately DPP models and All Change (both trade) will be absent from the show.

All the layouts booked will be there, including Dragonby in N gauge. This all action layout set in the privatisation era features mainly rtr stock, suitably weathered, including HSTs and Voyagers, as well as classes 37, 47, 57, 60, 66, 67, 150, 153, 156, 158, and 170. So if the modern era and scale length trains are what floats your boat, then a trip to Dragonby could be just the ticket.

One track, twisted and dirty...no, not my mind, but narrow gauge!

Our 009 offering is Waterhouses and Longnor, based on the 2'6" gauge Leek and Manifold light railway. This L shaped layout is designed to maximise viewing angles and show just what can be achieved in a relatively confined space. Steam, diesel, passenger and freight will be seen running on this fictional extension to the original line, modelled in the preservation era of the 1960s.

Just back from Pickering after putting up signs for show at Pickering station. Also been to check out Memorial Hall and sort out the public address system which is all working well. This means our chairman will now be able to make himself heard as well as doing a song or two to keep us entertained throughout the weekend. Mike, I'm really looking forward to listening to you. any clues to what you'll be singing?

Cheers

Ian

Just back from Pickering after putting up signs for show at Pickering station. Also been to check out Memorial Hall and sort out the public address system which is all working well. This means our chairman will now be able to make himself heard as well as doing a song or two to keep us entertained throughout the weekend. Mike, I'm really looking forward to listening to you. any clues to what you'll be singing?

Cheers

Ian

Hmm...I'll be doing requests...not!

Thanks Ian.

Just became a new grandad at 11.05pm 13.8.13. (mum and baby doing well) so I will be in a euphoric mood this weekend. Now is the time to get those requests in.

Hmm...I'll be doing requests...not!

Thanks Ian.

Just became a new grandad at 11.05pm 13.8.13. (mum and baby doing well) so I will be in a euphoric mood this weekend. Now is the time to get those requests in.

How about Clive Dunn's 'Grandad' Mike? or Cliff's 'Congratulations'

Best wishes to you and your family, by the way boy or girl Mike?

Ian

How about Clive Dunn's 'Grandad' Mike? or Cliff's 'Congratulations'

Best wishes to you and your family, by the way boy or girl Mike?

Ian

A boy, Logan weighing in at a healthy 7lb 6oz.

Cheers 

Coombe Martin in OO shows just what can be achieved in a small space, in a short period of time, utilising all the skills required to complete a model railway. The layout depicts a small single line station on the South Devon / Dorset border just before the Beeching axe swept many of them away for good. Steam traction is still extant, and the two road goods yard and loading dock are served by increasingly infrequent pick-ups. 

Just about ready to head off to Pickering.

Greyscroft fits in the van nicely.

attachicon.gifIMGP7644-001.JPG

...and it looks great all set up Paul. The new pit head winding tower and lighting pelmet really do look good 'in the flesh'.

Most of the other layouts are now set up, with just the Saturday arrivals to come. I am impressed with the standard of our layouts and must congratulate our show manager Nick Skelton on a fine selection. A minor crisis with the booked accommodation has been sorted, so it's all systems go.

The Glenngary Tramway is all set up and ready for the exhibition tomorrow with only a switch wire requiring the attention of a soldering iron.

Following the success of last years free to enter "Guess the distance travelled by the tram cars" competition we are running it again this year . The electronic timers have been reset and we are using a alternative  operating procedure so this will result in a final total somewhat different to last year.

SDRM chairman Mike J is not operating a layout this year so will be circulating,so please be gentle with him as I don't know if its been mentioned but he's a grandad now !!!

Gary   :scratchhead: 

The Glenngary Tramway is all set up and ready for the exhibition tomorrow with only a switch wire requiring the attention of a soldering iron.

Following the success of last years free to enter "Guess the distance travelled by the tram cars" competition we are running it again this year . The electronic timers have been reset and we are using a alternative  operating procedure so this will result in a final total somewhat different to last year.

SDRM chairman Mike J is not operating a layout this year so will be circulating,so please be gentle with him as I don't know if its been mentioned but he's a grandad now !!!

Gary   :scratchhead: 

I think that EVERYONE is aware of this fact by now Gary...but thanks for mentioning it again.  ;)

Over the past few years, SDMRS have established a reputation for putting on a friendly, high quality little show, and this years offering certainly lived up to that.

A very good selection of layouts - difficult to pick any significant fault with any of them; trade was perhaps a little patchy but all the basics were covered.

While shows like Pickering can never compete with the bigger offerings on pure numbers, they are so much friendlier and relaxing...

Thanks Guys.

Here is a small selection of many photos i took today (sat ) of what i can say was a great show at a great venue as always with a warm and friendly atmosphere well enjoyed it oh yes and maybe more photos even of mike lol and the radio gang 

Well done to all 

post-11881-0-75570900-1376779943_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-87217700-1376780058_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-28586900-1376780128_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-92281800-1376780204_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-67942000-1376780282_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-89594200-1376780318_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-81795600-1376780379_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-64794800-1376780454_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-27498500-1376780491_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-04130400-1376780537_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-04936600-1376780563_thumb.jpg

some more photos from saturday of scarborough and district railway modelers show at pickering memorial hall its still on now until 4 pm well worth a visit 

Also many photos of this great model show at http://www.flickr.com/photos/97535436@N04/sets/72157635125191762/  ready for the raffle been drawn now lol fingers crossed 

post-11881-0-15289200-1376823103_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-86967900-1376823133_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-39405800-1376823165_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-49356500-1376823195_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-35978400-1376823226_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-17296200-1376823255_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-24468400-1376823283_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-08825600-1376823312_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-62824500-1376823343_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-06147500-1376823372_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-85580100-1376823402_thumb.jpg

post-11881-0-75486400-1376823424_thumb.jpg