• RMweb Gold

hi folks,

This new online interactive rail map of the UK may well be of interest, especially to those looking at where different railway companies had their lines:

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

For those interested in following disused railways and tramroads on the ground you can research the routes by overlaying them onto modern aerial photographs (just change from 'map' to 'satellite' view on the top right menu), and then zoom right in to particular localities. You can then see how much of the old trackbed etc remains (or not as the case may be).

It's a great resource!

cheers,

Keith

Thanks Keith; interesting.

A quick scan of my area brings up some omissions (and not that obscure) plus some incorrect alignments (Cannock Mineral Railways around Chase Terrace) so it's worth cross-referencing with OS maps.

• RMweb Gold

Cheers Andy - yes some of the lines I looked at had a few alignments awry. It would be great to have a layer in there that also incudes historic OS 25" or 6" maps! 

I spotted the online map itself on another forum - http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=86810 - where there is discussion about omissions, errors etc. The creator of the online map also mentions he's keen to get feedback etc.

I was pleased to see that lots of minor lines are included, such as the Stratford and Moreton Tramway - one of my favourite lines!

all the best,

Keith

Thank you for posting this, Keith; Mr. (or Ms.) M. Bromley is to be rightly commended for the work and research that`s gone into providing this useful and worthy resource; well done!

Where there is the occasional E&O on the map or its links; I`m sure that forum-members (with such accurate knowledge) are able to contribute such information to make the map even better......I`ve spotted a small omission too, and will contact the webmaster.

• RMweb Premium

Great find, I've been looking at the MOD Shoeburyness lines, on the satellite view you can see what is obviously OHLE multiple units stored there (class 312?) and a lot of rusty track, and what looks like examples of rolling stock rusting away in the undergrowth.

• RMweb Gold

hi again,

I've looked a bit more at the sources that Matthew used to create his Online Rail Map and one of these listed is fantastic.. .http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/

It's been created by SABRE - The Society for All British and Irish Road Enthusiasts - but the maps will be of interest to us rail enthusiasts too. It includes a range of historic OS maps, all freely accessible!

For example, to see historic OS maps click on the "Historic Maps" layers on the left hand menu and there you can choose which scale or edition of map you wish to see, eg 1:25,000 First Series, or 1-inch Seventh Series. This means you can look at railways as they were at different dates throughout the 20th century.

To 'see through' a particular historic map layer (ie to relate it to the modern map), use the "Create Overlay" tool at the top of the map window and the slider changes the degree of transparency. Lots of fun and very good for researching railways past and present.

all the best,

Keith

I've been in touch with Matthew over a couple of additions and amendments and he's already included those from the references I'd included so I've lobbed some more obscure stuff his way. A very amiable chap. :)

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I see the Rail Map Online website now brings in OS 6" to 1 mile maps as well, as a new map layer (use drop down list at top right of map window), which is great - these maps come courtesy of National Library of Scotland:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/

which has loads of other historic map layers ('rasters' as they're called).

cheers,

Keith

Archived