David Todd

This part of my layout is on a stub,off the main b/boards, very little, of my time has been devoted to it.

My good freind , LF&Tiresome,on another forum has spent hours of his time PhotoSweatShopping,pictures of the area I have Taken,

because he felt it should be represented,on my Dover layout............... :triniti: .

post-13585-0-31616500-1378021311.jpg

post-13585-0-35578200-1378021354.jpg

The Stub.

The picture shewn, looking south-ish, left track,northern approach from Hawkesbury Street Juction,

Right hand track, Western approach from Dover Town Yard.

The track work shewn on the b/board,is nothing permanent.

post-13585-0-21264900-1378021716_thumb.jpg

A bit of history for you to read,contained in the link below of Dover Marine/Western Docks Station.

Link will take you to KentRail Website of David Glasspool.

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/dover_marine.htm

Unfortunately the white stuff is mostly toilet paper, you cannot see the brown stuff.  I remember one of the shunters who had shunted the Boat when the Night Ferry ran, told of the dangers of stepping or kneeling in a 'copper bolt'.  The Boats had hatches that were opened under the outlet pipes from the coaches.  As a Dover Driver said one day "The 4 foot, the longest open sewer in the country"

dt

The thing I really like about your threads, is that you are about the day to day life, many people concentrate on the locos and to a lesser degree the trains, a few people do the stations (we really do need more people to highlight stations, not justthe pretty ones either)

But very few people put up the day to day stuff, pictures showing the staircases, and fine architectural details are often overlooked, plus seeing the porters..I can't remember the last time I even saw a porter! A disabled car to help the less able their luggage and them but a porter?

People have this tendency to hanker after what is gone, and lose sight of the value of the here and now.Seeing how these majestic buildings are used when still train stations and support buildings are part of that day to day life, but also subsequently how they are used when no longer filled with the noise of the working engine. All of these things allow us an insight into the whole picture, instead of focusing on the train.

Please believe me when I say I love the locos, my husband's passion has seeped in...slowly....but this type of thread gives that little bit more. The wide spectrum here portrays a way of life, and to some extent death of a railway station. and here you have three different aspects.

Excellent stuff....

Moorings................ :drag:

Some of you may have noticed,  my pictures from the "free" photobucket w/site, ar now not displayed in previous post's,on all my threads.............

This has been an oversight by me, as I have gone over the "free" bandwith allowance.

I hope to rectify thisover a period of time.

You can still see the pictures,if you click the grey square, you will be taken to my photo bucket website.

Sorry for the incoveinience....................... :scratchhead:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oldlugger

A very nice project David with excellent photos. What a tragic waste of a fascinating railway centre. Keep up the good work!

All the best

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting all the Night Ferry pictures. Between 1972 and 1974 I used the Night Ferry a number of times between London and Paris and return and once to Brussels. My one regret is that I was not into taking pictures at that time :scratchhead: .

Best part of the journey was breakfast on the journey from Dover back to Victoria. Fresh grapefruit segments followed by kippers then plenty of toast and marmelade. Fantastic. Catering on the French side was rubbish.....the bowl of coffee in the morning had the consistency of porridge :stink: .

Keith

Archived