Which Layout Design Software?

greslet

Guys

I'm currently researching the various model railway design software packages that are available. Personally I use XtrackCad, and I also have a copy of SCARM. What do other people use?

What is your favourite and why?
What have you tried and rejected and why?
What would you like from these products but don't currently get? 
If you could wave the layout design magic wand, what would you have?

I've been using 'Anyrail' for a couple of years. I found it easy to learn and it's free provided you don't insert more than 50 pieces of track/structures/scenery etc

Ideal for planning small layouts and looks good. I like it so much I'm currently using it to plan a new kitchen!

Mal

Mac & Linux OS's aren't well supported. I have used XtraCAD and Anyrail, which just shades it for me. XTraCAD is possibly better for baseboard and framing but AnyRail's symbol library is more comprehensive and I think it is a little easier to use. I should admit here that I often use AutoCAD for schematics and construction drawings so have a knowledge of the basics.

Out of interest, I may try to do a similar layout with SCARM just to see how good it is. If you are NOT going to build track by hand, don't try TemPlot - Martin Wynne will tell you that his product is designed specifically to aid those assembling their track from scratch.

I tried the rest but like Scarm the best. I found it the easiest to get into. And the 3D image is very helpful if you want to check clearances on complex multilevel layouts. Or just to get a feel for how it's going to look. It's also free to use the full version. If your going for Anyrail you need to buy it or suffer the frustration of hitting the limits of the Trial version all the time. Also I like to spend my time messing with track layouts rather than trying to work out how the program functions. That rules out most of the other CAD programs for me. You need to try the alternatives for yourself & see what works best for you. We are all different! 

i use cadrail from sandia software.  it is from the US.   the first incarnation i had was version 7, but upgraded to 9 last year.  it takes a bit of getting used to, and i have never tried to use the 'Z' axis at all yet. just X and Y. i would like to see different formats added for saving the files, and some options for different formats it will open. i can't save anything as a j.peg, so when i want to uplaod an image to a forum i have to print it out, an then scan the print and save that as a j.peg.

another gripe i have is that some of the pre drawn track pieces are not quite perfect so when you do a track plan, the real track parts are not exactly the same. it is very close, but not 100% on some parts. i also had to draw up my own code 75 peco trackwork as it isn't in the stock library out the box. i also redrew the code 55 peco N stuff too as that was one of those where some of their drawings were not quite spot on.

that said, i like it and now i can use the bits i want to use i'm happy with it.   no limit on pieces either. you can also set scales so can draw in metric or imperial

Haven't used WinRail for ages - can't remember why I went off it. I've been using AnyRail until L&Y mentioned SCARM - a program that I'd never head of. Not figured out my way around the interface yet but I have to agree the simple 3D views are a bonus and certainly help to give a "feel" for the layout. I'm just not able to get my head round some of the more complicated programs, so simple is good in my book.

SCARM here! I've found it relatively easy to use, but there could be a few improvements!

I'd like a key to hold to temporarily turn off the track automatically connecting. Fine adjustments are difficult, and the only way I've found so far is to remove one bit of track, adjust the next one, having memorised its last position, then rejoin the first bit of track.

Test running trains like XtrkCAD would be nice, especially if it could be done in the 3D view!

Chopping bits off sections of track would be really nice! I've been trying to do a layout that has a scissors crossing and also uses a setrack crossover and points with a streamline 6ft, so the ability to cut down the crossings would be wonderful. As it is, I've just left the crossing 'hovering' over it's intended position, and will rely on wiggle room once track laying starts!

• RMweb Gold

I've been using 'Anyrail' for a couple of years. I found it easy to learn and it's free provided you don't insert more than 50 pieces of track/structures/scenery etc

Ideal for planning small layouts and looks good. I like it so much I'm currently using it to plan a new kitchen!

Mal

I am an big fan of Anyrail as well, I have to say that the support is the best of ANY software programme i know, ( and I work in the business). But don't be a scrouge, suppprt the man who makes it by buying it, it doesn' cost much and then you won't have to worry about the 50 piece limit. It will cost you the same as a singe Hornby coach, and you won't have to wait to 2015 for it to arrive! 

I have used a variety of programs over the years, but I currently use SCARM and love it.

TRAX 2

An RMWeb Topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/8957-trax1-trax2-layout-wiring-track-design-software/

I was quite into TRAX 2 for some time, having bought the book it comes with.  The software UI was simple but limited when it came to scenery.  You could create layouts and print out full size track plans.  You could also use it to test both wiring and simple signalling interlocking within the application.  Support was very limited and updates non existent.  Also, I when I got a new PC I found that TRAX2 would not install onto a Windows 8 PC so form me it has fallen by the wayside.  There is now a new version called TRAX 3 which is on sale from the rain forest http://www.amazon.co.uk/TRAX-3-Signalling-Lever-Frames/dp/1906419612 but I do not know if it is Win8 compliant.

Templot

Installed and had a look at it as I would love to build my own track, but for now I plan to use ready made track and so will keep it simple and use other planning software.  

AnyRail

Installed the trial version and found it  to be good for layout planning, but hit the 50 component limit.  Almost paid for the full version, but then I came across SCARM and decided not to.  Well used by modellers, so lots of support out there and sample layouts to download.

SCARM

An RMWeb Topic - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73339-scarm-layout-design-software-with-3d-%E2%80%93-all-users-topic/

The mix of 2D and 3D makes this for me the best track planning software out there and it is free which is fantastic considering what it can do.  It is well supported with track components from the different manufacturers.  Pre drawn scenery objects are a little limited at the moment but the library is growing but you can draw any object you like with it and then see it rendered in 3D.  Once rendered in 3D you can fly round your designed layout and see what it might look like!  It allows snapshots to be taken in 3D which you can then use to illustrate your layout on-line.

The other thing that swings it for me is that it is in active developed at the moment, so the feature set is getting better.  The software is still young, beta version, but the developer is constantly offering new features and responds to suggestions for enhancements.

Hope this helps.

On my iMac, I have installed Wine/Winebottler, and subsequently Templot within it.  

A quick test tonight seems to show that Templot is functioning pretty well (I haven't tried everything, or printing yet), so up to now I am pretty happy as I need to re-draw the layout plan I am hoping to build since switching to a Mac from a Windows PC a few weeks ago.

Ian

I've used XtrCad for years and, though some operations can be a bit fiddly and it does have a bit of a learning curve, I do find it accurate and ideal for detailed track planning. It's also unlimited and free and I do find the provision for operating the layout with pre-defined stock useful in seeing if an intended layout will actually work.

More recently I've used AnyRail and do find it far quicker for playing around with ideas for layouts.

I've only recently discovered SCARM so am still getting my head around it. I like the 3D function which is quite good for visualising layouts but my first impressions is that it does seem more oriented towards assembling layouts with set pieces of track than with more freehand designs. I've also found the dimensioning a bit tricky and only being able to define a single baseboard is a limitation. I'll be able to form a more considered judgement when I've used it a bit more.

It doesn't really affect me working in H0 but out of curiosity Is the difference in Anyrail between P4 and EM of any real significance when it comes to track planning?

I've only recently discovered SCARM so am still getting my head around it. I like the 3D function which is quite good for visualising layouts but my first impressions is that it does seem more oriented towards assembling layouts with set pieces of track than with more freehand designs. I've also found the dimensioning a bit tricky and only being able to define a single baseboard is a limitation. I'll be able to form a more considered judgement when I've used it a bit more.

The best way I found to create an irregular shaped baseboard in SCARM is to use the co-ordinate system using the Toolbox on the Tools menu, as described here.http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/a-scarm-tutorial-part-2-baseboards.

To create a baseboard with an open aperture in the middle, such as an operator well, see this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73339-scarm-layout-design-software-with-3d-–-all-users-topic/?p=1232177

Also see http://www.scarm.info/blog/advanced-techniques/baseboard-with-a-hole-inside/

Hope this helps

The best way I found to create an irregular shaped baseboard in SCARM is to use the co-ordinate system using the Toolbox on the Tools menu, as described here.http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/a-scarm-tutorial-part-2-baseboards.

To create a baseboard with an open aperture in the middle, such as an operator well, see this post http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73339-scarm-layout-design-software-with-3d-–-all-users-topic/?p=1232177

Also see http://www.scarm.info/blog/advanced-techniques/baseboard-with-a-hole-inside/

Hope this helps

Thanks. I'll try that. I've not found SCARM particularly easy to use when using flexible track with multiple curves but that's probably because I'm used to XtrkCad and the process is a lot different. I have though  found AnyRail pretty instinctive and now prefer it for "track doodling" though XtrkCad is more of a CAD system for actual detailed planning. 

Thanks Guys

Anyone using WinRail these days?

I am still using WinRail. It´s an older version which is not any longer supported by Blumert Software .

Over the years I have grown to like it. I use the drawing function to prepare elaborate 2D-views, allowing me to check on the "atmosphere" of a layout I am designing. Just to give you an example:

SchietwedderoogerKleinbahninH0fAnsicht_z

The backscene is an actual photograph copied into the drawing, the trees were done in MSPaint, but all the rest was drawn in WinRail.

3 years ago when I got the notion moment of model railroading again, once I decided roughly size wise and realised the ole paper and pencil weren't good enough for a big layout. I researched online many track design programs and realised it came down to two types. quick RTR build design or self track build as the latter I have never done, i shortened the list which in the end for ease of use I ended with a full version of anyrail.  But if in the future I do try and go down the self track build route I would swap to using templot, otherwise I`m well happy with anyrail for what I need etc.

only downside is all the minutes, hours, days or months Ive spent playing around with ideas redesigning layout lol

edit:

PS I have also found it useful using line/surface draw to design other things like room plans as to where furniture can fit for maximum space, also lounge cabinet TV stand I built for a friend.

For track planning software that doesn't offer a 3D projection, one trick I've found quite useful for visualising layouts that I've designed is the projection that Cyril Freezer used for the original plans for Minories. Unlike a typical isometric projection where the x,y & z axes are usually at 60 degrees to one another and you have to redraw all the angles,  he used an axonometric projection used by architects that simply rotates the flat plan through 45 degrees after which the uprights are drawn in as vertical lines.

It's a bit fiddly to add anything complex like a building with doors and windows but for seeing the general layout in relation to back scenes, overbridges etc. it works suprisingly well.

This is not something I was taught in tech drawing as an engineering student but Freezer was a trained draughtsman. I was a bit confused by his use of the term axonometric projection because in engineering that includes every kind of 3D projection but I've now discovered that in architectural drawing it has this more specific meaning.  

post-6882-0-05763300-1385466687_thumb.jpg

This is one I did in XtrkCad for an H0m layout I'm building using Tillig track. It showed me that the canal wharf needed to be longer and that a building was needed in the top right hand corner to balance the railway buildings clustered towards the left hand side so I built a café restaurant to do that.

Though I understand that it's the convention used in architecture I don't think you have to use a 45 degree rotation. In a later version of Minories, Freezer used a similar projection but with a 30 degree rotation. That does give a more frontal impression of the layout and I'll probably use that in future. The key thing though is that the two dimensional plan is unaltered apart from being rotated so you can simply use the 2D output of the track planning program.

I am still using WinRail. It´s an older version which is not any longer supported by Blumert Software .

Over the years I have grown to like it. I use the drawing function to prepare elaborate 2D-views, allowing me to check on the "atmosphere" of a layout I am designing. Just to give you an example:

SchietwedderoogerKleinbahninH0fAnsicht_z

The backscene is an actual photograph copied into the drawing, the trees were done in MSPaint, but all the rest was drawn in WinRail.

Is anyone else using WinRail? It looks interesting and appears to have more capabilities for handling buildings but is about £50 to buy so how does it compare to AnyRail or to the free programs SCARM and XtrkCad ?

An XTrkCad user from so far back that I'm still using the paid-for version - mainly because the newer versions are backwardsly compatible, and I'm used to where to find things - in the newer versions I have to hunt through a similar, but different, interface in order to find items that I can do almost automatically. I have also a lot of extra track sections and manufacturers items  and locos/cars that I have built myself using the designer. It does everything that I need, and lets me run trains on my layouts - yes so its only an overhead view, but that is how I usually see my layouts anyway :boast:

Is anyone else using WinRail? It looks interesting and appears to have more capabilities for handling buildings but is about £50 to buy so how does it compare to AnyRail or to the free programs SCARM and XtrkCad ?

Well, I have to admit that I heavily "abuse" WinRail to prepare those 2D- views. The above drawing consists of something like 10,000 elements ( a lot is copy/paste, though), way beyond what the system is actually able to handle.

If I had to make a choice today, I´d probably settle with SCARM and do my 3D- views (!) in Google Sketchup.

Archived