GWR 633 0-6-0T from 14xx

I was looking for something else when I came across drawings and pictures of the 633 0-6-0T,

the side tank is longer than on a 14xx, but they appear very similar from the wheels up.

Has anyone taken a 14xx body,  hacked around a bit, and fitted on a 0-6-0 chassis.

I'm referring to the non-condensing version.

Something about the shape of the 14xx I like , and the 633 is close but a 0-6-0T

Not sure if this should have gone in modifying RTR, its more of a heavy hack than a mod.

cheers

Richard

Hiya

it doesn't look too difficult,

the 633 class was originally open cab and condensing, but a few were made non condensing and with a full cab and used in South Wales.

Strangely enough 635 and 644 look remarkably like the 14XX but with a longer tank and its 0-6-0.

From other info found a few of these were reboilered as well.

they were 28' buffer to buffer and the 14xx were similar

633 buffer beam to first wheel 4' 8"    14xx 5' 2""

first to second wheel 7' 3"                   14xx   7' 4"

sec to third wheel      8' 3"                   14xx   8' 2"

boiler center line     6' 6 1/4"                14xx   7' 0"

rail head to top of chimney   12' 3 3/8"     14xx  12' 6 3/16"

The side tanks would need to be extended to the front side of the steps and the steps moved forward to aprox midway between the front wheel center and rear rim.

the wheel size is a little smaller on the 633, the dimension isn't given but the drawings are 4mm scale

17.7 mm for the 633 and  20 .5 mm  for the 14xx

However looking at the Markits listing the 14xx had 5'2" wheels and 62 /4 gives 15.5 mm .

taking the ratio between to two wheel measurements off the drawing gives a wheel size of 52 " 4' 4"

The nearest is 4' 7" or 4'8"  from Markits.

I'd appreciate some clarification on that please.

But like most I guess there are remains of Airfix 14xx in our junk boxes, and its an easy mode to the chassis to drill out

the rear wheel slot to take a 2mm axle , and fit a set of Romford wheels.

Somewhere I've read that a 50:1 Romford gear will mesh with the Airfix worm , anyone know if this is correct ??

The body hacking doesn't look to difficult, the tanks need to be made longer, the steps moved and the cab windows back and front changed to spectacles.

The hump removed from behind the chimney and the sand pipes removed, and the side pipework,

if its in the junkbox the sandpipes are probable broken and the side pipes lost..

So not a major project.

Constructive comments appreciated please.

Cheers

Richard

BTW 63 isn't that OT , not compared to the rest of us

Hi, I'm going to follow this with interest it's just the sort of job I like I'm in the middle of converting an M7 into a Caley tank at the moment so can picture what your doing, the wheel diameter of the 633 class was 4ft 6 1/2 in. good luck Steve 

post-17847-0-33542300-1383996766.jpg

post-17847-0-61573000-1383996778.jpg

The reason for starting with a 14xx was I have 2 running, ish, and bits of one in the junk box.

There were two versions of the 633, the more well known condensing version which was use to take meat in to London

using the underground lines , condensing for two reasons, it keeps the amount of smoke and steam down from the chimney, and to preserve water supply

as there wasn't a good supply at the stations.

The other version was non condensing , and had a cab, and looks very much like a 14xx was used in S Wales, and 648 was fitted with a spark arresting chimney

Thanks for the wheel size, that means I can use the 4' 7" Romford wheels, which will put the center line though the boiler at the correct level.

By the look of it the 633 had a slightly longer chimney.

Richard

Re Bachmann Chassis

are they available at low cost ? and where

The hack to the Airfix chassis is to enlarge the hole/slot on the rear to take a 2mm axle . the motor may require

lifting slightly for wheel clearance , but thats on a universal joint, and there is room to do it.

There is a good 5 pole motor on the Airfix 14xx that will run very slowly, and its already there.

I'm getting nagged by she who must be obeyed for spending too much, so makes sense to use materials I already have.

If the Bachmann chassis is available about £20 max then OK use it,

Just trying to make a good loco thats different out of wasted material in the junk box.

Richard

The reason for starting with a 14xx was I have 2 running, ish, and bits of one in the junk box.

There were two versions of the 633, the more well known condensing version which was use to take meat in to London

using the underground lines , condensing for two reasons, it keeps the amount of smoke and steam down from the chimney, and to preserve water supply

as there wasn't a good supply at the stations.

The other version was non condensing , and had a cab, and looks very much like a 14xx was used in S Wales, and 648 was fitted with a spark arresting chimney

Thanks for the wheel size, that means I can use the 4' 7" Romford wheels, which will put the center line though the boiler at the correct level.

By the look of it the 633 had a slightly longer chimney.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Sounds like a sound plan to me. M & L used to do a 633 class kit. This was taken over by Alan Gibson when he took over the range. There are  633 clack valves, dome and chimney (same as their 517) listed in their parts lists (Usual disclaimer). These components are usually fairly inexpensive.

The kits are now only made as batches and the 633 is currently listed as "0" subscribers so it doesn't look like it's going to be released again any time soon. Your adaptation is probably a good way to go now.

Darwinian

Hi

I dont need to worry about clack valves as they were removed from the non-condensing version :).

The dome looks very similar, and the chimney is fractionally too short, I think about 2 mm.

Question

Romford wheel are they still supplied as insulated and non insulated ?

There is a set of 6 plus axles , 18mm on e-bay.  but I cant see any insulation on 3 of them, they all look identical.

TIA

Richard

Archived