Width of Loco & Carriage lining

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Whilst realising this isn't exactly a straightforward question since the answers depend upon the locos/carriages being modelled, does anyone know over what sort of range (min/max, average) the width of lining should be please? The reason I ask is that the lining pen I have available only goes down to 0.25mm (3/4" in real life). I'm pondering making (or getting made) a new nib sized at 0.18mm (approx 1/2") in real life. In reality the paint line tends to be a little wider than these figures as it flows out the nib (or so I'm told).

Any thoughts much appreciated :)

Thanks.

Brian

A few examples.....

Locos

LMS crimson lake locos had yellow lining 1/2" wide (3/8" on running plate and buffer beams).

LMS prewar black locos had 3/8" red lining on Tender, cab, running plate and cylinders (??" on boiler bands).

Southern olive green locos had 1/4" white or yellow lining against a nominal 3" wide black border.

BR green locos had 1/8" orange lining.

BR black locos had 5/8" grey line + 1/8" cream line + 1/4" red line separated from cream line by 1 5/8" black.

GWR locos had 1/8" orange lines.

Carriages

Southern Railway olive livery had 1/8" yellow lining.

Midland and LMS Period I and II coaches had 3/8" pale yellow/gold lining. Period II lining was 1/2" yellow.

Larry G.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Larry.

Jeez - a 0.1mm wide line is 0.3" wide (full size). The 1/4" (0.25") and 1/8" (0.125") lines could be interesting... :icon_wow:

Me thinks the lining on models is often overscale... :icon_wink:

Brian

Me thinks the lining on models is often overscale... icon_wink.gif
It is, but vee have vays.....

Orange lining.....Mix the orange with black to make a tan colour so that it is not so garrish.

White lining.......Never use white. Distress it with yellow and black to reduce its vividness. White lining tended to go yellowish with the cleaning oil once used.

Red lining is the opposite. It tends to be transparent so make it opaque by adding orange and even a touch of white. A scale red line would never show on a 4mm scale model so make it slightly thicker.

Lining on MR and LMS carriages. During the Period I & II era the pale cream lining or gold lining was edged with red lines. The overall effect is what we want so I mix Humbrol No.69 with Humbrol No.7 50-50. Using gold is hopeless.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Guys!

p.s. Please Larry - I'm sure I'm not the only one on RMWeb who'd love to see an in-depth start-to-finish article (with pretty piccies) on priming, painting & lining a coach... :icon_e_wink: Pretty please with sugar on :icon_lol:

Brian

I'm sure I'm not the only one on RMWeb who'd love to see an in-depth start-to-finish article
I used to joke with my fellow painters that if they had time to write books/articles about what they did, they musn't have much work on! Rightly or wrongly, I still don't feel it is fair to others who depend on it for their living, although I will assist people having difficulties. smile.gif

• RMweb Premium

I used to joke with my fellow painters that if they had time to write books/articles about what they did, they musn't have much work on! Rightly or wrongly, I still don't feel it is fair to others who depend on it for their living. smile.gif

:icon_cry: :icon_cry:

Many thanks for the reply; I understand & fully appreciate where you are coming from. Mind you, it's one thing knowing how to do; actually being able to do it is a whole different can of worms.

Plastering a wall looks easy. Have you ever tried to do it.... :icon_lol:

Brian

p.s. Next time I see Ian Rathbone touting his book I'll have to tease him about work being thin on the ground ;)

GWR and BR lining was 1/8" orange, 1/2" green, 1" black, 1/2" green, 1/8" orange. Normally the green is ignored as not showing, but the orange shows up as if wider than 1/8" due to its brightness. Theoretically, it's near or below the resolution of the human eye in 4mm, but can still be seen, as a quick check with photographs will show.

Lining is a black art involving bow pens and such like. I have to admit to cheating and using the products of the HMRS.

Much of the time, If lining was applied to a model in scale thickness, you just wouldn't be able to see it properly, being equipped with 12"/ft scale eyes... It's probably more important that the lining applied is neat & consistent, rather than slavishly to scale width.. Bear in mind, also, that you can overlap one colour with another, if your pen won't make a thin enough line...

Distressing lining colours, as mentioned in my entry dated 18th January, was intended to show that lining in model form (in 4mm at least) needs to be toned down because it is often overscale. The new Bachmann 'Tornado' is a prime example of garish white lining overwhelming the 4mm scale model. The same thickness of line could be applied in 7mm and appear correct.

Regarding GWR and BR lining on green locos, I used to apply the orange lined (tan or light brown in my case) then rule a fine black line down the centre of the two orange lines leaving green showing. The attached shot is a cruel magnification that shows lining and dirt specs... The orange is enamel but the black centre line is cellulose (for speedy drying)....

post-6680-12639908460387_thumb.jpg

I admire anyone willing to have a go with a paint pen, but I'm neither brave enough or clued-up enough to even attempt lining out anything with a pen, especially as someone else might see it!!!

Coachman earns money at it because he's top-man at it, it's taken him along time to perfect his craft... but rightly so IMHO it's fair to ask advice but that's as far as I'd go...no...I'm with Il Grifone on this one and it'd be transfers for me, pressfix or waterslide!

Archived