VSOE in 1998

• RMweb Gold

As I have mentioned on my blog I am in the process of building up an accurate model of the VSOE, with enough stock to operate in either 1998 with Clan Line, a RES 47 or Pullman 73 and in 2003 with the Flying Scotsman or EWS 67s

While I have managed to find a lot of good information relating to the actual Pullmans, I have found information on the other coaches which worked with the VSOE a lot more difficult to come by. This is mostly a result of the fact that other than some photos taken in the last year or two, for the most part all I have are 3/4 views to work on (which often dont show the rear coach.)

1998:

The first coach I plan to add for 1998 is a mk1 RKB 1566 in Southern green, I've found a couple of small photos showing this on fotopic http://neilharvey4789.fotopic.net/p39483081.html but they are a bit small to be of much use,

I have no idea what should be on the other end, so if anyone has any notes from the period that would be really handy!

2003:

I've seen a bit of a mixed bag of coaches here, with a choc & cream mk1 break, along with a mk1 BG generator coach (6313) in EWS. I've managed to find plenty of photos of the generator coach, but again not had a lot of luck with the breaks. 99538 and 99545 both seem to come up a lot in the past couple of years, but I havent found anything showing them in 2002/3

Can anyone help?

• RMweb Gold

Sort of answering my own question here....

Just came across this passage of test in the Pullman safety case

At present (1999) the train is normally formed with a Mk 1 support car at one end, and a pre Mk 1 all steel Pullman at the other, with up to 10 Pullmans in between (depending on operational requirements)

Clearly this shows that for my 1998 formation, just having the green Mk 1 RKB 1566 is all that is required (and one of the steel sided Pullmans (i.e. the 1928 met cams or the ex 5Bell coaches).

Another interesting point picked up from the report was that in 1998 'Gwen' was under heavy refurbishment (shown as a bare frame) so I think I will just end up doing Vera and Audrey to that design (thinking about it that explains why Gwen wasn't listed on the drawing)

Moving on to the later period, the same report states

In order to ensure both ends of the train are equally protected, this formation will be altered to include a Mk 1 or Mk 2 support coach at both ends. In order to improve the impact resistance of the barrier vehicles, these will be modified to reduce the compressional strength.

For this they list 99538 (Baggage Car 9), 99545 (Baggage Car 11) and 6313 (Generator car). 2 of which being in use on the formation, with a third kept in reserve.

Again this makes things nice and easy for me, 99538 is a direct match with the Bachmann model I have (+ I have a copy of the drawings for the inertia as well) whereas 99545 appears to be a different type. So 99538 it is then (along with the aforementioned 6313

Now back to the help request:

I am now looking for photos of:

1566 in Southern Green from the late 90s

and 99538 in 2003

Archived