Does anyone live near Writhlington?

Does anyone please live near the bridge at Writhlington, or have information

that could help.

To the left, the colliery side embankment falls away between the underpass

and the signal box to the level of the causeway of the road over a

stream.

post-12739-0-42033300-1395439622.jpg

Yet, between the bridge and the Signal Box there was a crossing gate.

Was this a path or vehicle access, and what was its route?

post-12739-0-21321700-1395439659.jpg

THEN!
Maybe the matching gate the other side of the Signal Box makes them serve only

as gates to demarcate the private siding, with the main sidings toward Wellow, SD&JR

property?

I have the trackage laid out and am at the stage of filling in the topography.

Noel

I don't *know* for certain, but having looked at the various plans in Chris Handley's "Radstock Coal & Steam Vol 2" - sadly the gate itself proves elusive in his pictures - my bet would be that this is the private siding entrance gate in its open position. Mind you, it looks a bit more sturdy that the usual sort of thing for such situations, but perhaps that's because it had to be longer in order to cross 2 tracks.

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain that this was the gate into the private siding. I visited Writhlington a couple of times in the early 1970s, and have also studied lots of photos over the years, and I'm 99.9% certain that there was no level crossing at that location.

If you look at the 1904 1:2500 map on old-maps, then IMHO the point is much closer to the main line than in later years, with the gate definitely spanning two tracks as depicted by Handley. Maybe the size of gate is a hang-over from that period?

Possibly also a relic of some access to the weighbridge house, but I'm more inclined to it being a siding gate - after all, as a private siding there ought to have been one somewhere and certainly there was on the sding that ran towards Radstock.

I have managed to fit in the complete :"Y" shown in photos, Judge & Potts book (p.23), and the

reprint of the 1902 OS Map. In the foreground I also have the Braysdown Siding, but lack any

pictures of the coal handling.

The layout has plenty of opportunities for shunting and showing-off my west country PO Opens

wagon collection.

I agree they are the gates on the Private Siding either side of the signal Box.

It was working out the feasibility of this layout that got me into producing the 3D Sheave Wheels.

- you never know where things will lead in life.

Noel

Archived