looking for a 0 gauge Lima 4f

Barnaby

Hello, I've had a look on e-bay but been beaten twice by last minute bidders so I thought what about on here..

I'm looking for a LIMA 4f 0 gauge model in GOOD CONDITION, no heavy damage, but motor need not be working as it will have a new chassis, wheels and motor fitted.   I prefer a black one but it will be given a new paint job anyway. 

Photos would be a big help in assessing the model.

Please PM me to discuss any model offers and costs.

Kind regards

Barnaby

Ps I tried to place this in the classifieds but I don't seem to be able to get it sorted there so in a vain last ditch attempt I post it here.

In the mean time I'll go and have a read up of the help screens.

• RMweb Gold

Barnaby,

There's an advert each month in the Railway Modeller from "The O Zone"

He offers new Lima 0 gauge 4Fs for £55 inc p&p.

His phone number is 01236 725458.

No address given in the ad. (I think it was somewhere in Scotland when I posted a cheque to him).

I bought one from him some time ago which I use when friends with small children visit to "play trains" on my layout.

I have no connection with the business other than as a one time customer.

David

Cheers Martin, I have that gazette Vol 13 issue 12 and have some photos etc off the web in my R-T-Convert file..

I'm now trying to get hold of a suitable spares or broken one that I can convert.  I don't want to be breaking up a brand new or modified one.

Many thanks all.

Barnaby,

I 'worked one over' back in the 1980's, with whitemetal dome, smokebox front and some other added castings, the wheel spokes were cut out with a fretsaw and the boiler altered to give a clearance under, it didn't look too bad when finshed and was about the only cheap loco on offer at the time. I cannibalised the body in later years, and gave away the tender, which had come up best of all. If I recall they are a little small, and actually might convert better to a 3F(?), but can scrub up quite well.

However, reading your thread set my mind working and I have just explored the depths of the loft...

post-18627-0-78341000-1396861695_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-44052400-1396861697_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-53234900-1396861698_thumb.jpgpost-18627-0-48646900-1396861700_thumb.jpg

Are these any use? - If so PM me with your address and I will post them off to you, the original body and tender are in quite good condition and the hacked about one has a couple of useful castings and fittings still in place that may be of use.

Regards

Peter

Ok thanks to Peter's very kind offer on here I'm sorted, and we live on each others doorstep too.

Thanks also to others who posted here & PM-ed me with further offers/suggestions.

Once again I thank all the RM-Webbers for their help.

Regards

Mark aka Barnaby

Seems a little like Christmas.............

Mr postie has just delivered a box of goodies from Peter as described and shown above, thanks very much Peter. 

I've now begun the process of collecting the necessary parts for the conversion by ordering 1 x loco frame and 1 x tender frame from Premier Components along with some sprung pickups.

I x piece of plastic tube 7cm length of 3.5cm dia from my plumbing leftovers.

Other items e.g. wheels, motor & Gearbox etc will be obtained as we go.

My build ref material consists of:  GOG Gazette August 1998 Vol 13 No12 article by John Middleton, several photos trawled from the web, 1 x F. J. Roche scale drawing dated 1948 and frequent access to the WWW and you the RM-Webbers.

This is going to be a slow build as a break from building up my shunty-plank goods based GWR/LMS steam layout with a hint of diesel.  No name yet but possibly King Street Goods or something similar.

Thanks to the many inspiring layouts shown on these forums especially Alan T of Factory Lane Sidings as it most closely mirrors my plan, and gave me the added confidence that it could be a  go go go.

I'll pop some updates as I go; back here.

Regards

Here's the layout plan the track is fairly solid now but destination buildings may move about as I start the laydown.  Not sure also if the loco service spur should come from the fiddle yard or stay as a kick back off siding "A"   I've also made a 50+ step sequencer for loco movements to see how it feels.

post-1159-0-14944100-1397041682_thumb.jpg

I begin the track laying ..........

I'll probably be using copydex to hold both the track and ballast down

0a/ dry lay track and mark dropper hole positions
0b/ drill dropper holes
1/ solder on droppers to track
2/ lay down track into adhesive
3/ add bus bar under board for dcc operation
4/ use "snakes" [R/C aircraft control rotational to longitudinal mechanisms] for point control. Probably manual but could be servo controlled as I have a fair bit of my R/C aircraft stuff about.
5/ paint the track like NSE Daz of Shaftsbury fame. http://www.rmweb.co....-venture/page-6
6/ add the uncoupling magnets
7/ lay ballast

Easy to say "lay track" but that's 7 + 2 steps to do.

Premier Components delivery, what first class customer service, ordered 9th April here before 10am on the 10th April that's what I call service.

The side frames are exquisite in the finish and deserve to be on display so once wheeled up I'll post some more photos but here's the flat-pack delivery photo.

post-1159-0-34010900-1397128084.jpg

Archived