Coach Interior Colours - Edwardian Period

I am in the process of building a rake of 2mm scale 4 and 6 wheelers (diagrams T38, U4, S9 & T47) for my modelling period of c.1906, and am wondering what colours to paint the interiors.  I have an old version of "Great Western Way", but it isn't particularly definitive on the colours of the seats.  It seems to state clearly the colouring and materials introduced in 1900, but I would expect that the sort of coaches I am modelling would probably not have been re-upholstered in the preceding 6 years (unless someone tells me otherwise!)

The 1896 details are particularly sketchy saying that 1st class was a "Fancy Moquette", 2nd "Velvet Terry", and 3rd "Natural colour Rep".

Can anyone give me a better inkling of what these 1896 colours may have been?

Thank you in advance,

Ian

Michael Harris, Great Western coaches from 1890 has:

Current in 1890-1895: 1st Crimson Plush, 2nd and 3rd Rep, smoking compts in leather

c1896: 1st 'Fancy' moquette or blue cloth, 2nd velvet terry or rep, 3rd fawn rep, smoking leather

c1900: 1st dark green cloth or leather, 2nd brown and white star motif moquette, 3rd dark red and white star, smoking leather.

Nick

• Like 1

Assuming the guys (and girls) at Didcot got it right this is what the inside of a third class compartment looks like. Carriage 1941 C10 All third. Livery is the preWW1 chocolate and cream (I think) with monograms and numbers in eaves panels.

post-9629-0-50644000-1399221574_thumb.jpg

No doubt Castle will be along shortly to verify.

Adrian

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am good with loco questions - Castles being an area of expertise...

Coaches - not so much...

But you can be assured that the team in the C&W department will have researched this to kingdom come! This will be based on both documentary evidence and evidence gained by stripping the coach down for restoration. An almost archeological approach will be undertaken with layers of paint being sanded through and recorded in key areas and extant samples of fabric and other furnishings kept for comparison to the historic record and other existing samples.

The other thing to do is to look at family saloon No. 2511. One end of this vehicle retains an original GWR passenger interior that was last overhauled pre WWI! If you ask someone is likely to be able to unlock the door so a picture or two can be taken without the glass in the way.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Edit: This is the coach in question above: http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/coaches/1941/1941.html

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

Thanks Castle, I didn't mean to imply that the  restoration was faulty, I can imagine how difficult it can be to research all of these details. If anyone can get it right the Diodcot folks will. :boast:.

I should have had a picture of the interior of that saloon too but my camera batteries chose when I was sitting in there to die enough for the flash gun to not work. It was too dark to get a meaningful photo handheld. :banghead:. Maybe next time.

Adrian

Thanks Castle, I didn't mean to imply that the  restoration was faulty, I can imagine how difficult it can be to research all of these details. If anyone can get it right the Diodcot folks will. :boast:.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I didn't think that for a moment good sir - it is just interesting to fellow enthusiasts to hear how it is done - I guess I just clicked into tour guide mode...

I will pass on the compliments to the C&W Department!

I will make sure the carriage keys find their way into my pocket for the tour in July. We can get a few pictures of the family saloon interior posted here for people to use afterwards then.

All the best,

Castle

Thank you all for your replies.  I will now be able to give some colour to my white plasticard interiors (although how visible it will be in 2FS is somewhat debatable)  :sungum:

That depends whether you plan to fit lighting? The difference between red-ish, blue-ish and green-ish ought to be visible to anyone who isn't colour blind. :jester:

That depends whether you plan to fit lighting? The difference between red-ish, blue-ish and green-ish ought to be visible to anyone who isn't colour blind. :jester:

Richard,

I've already fitted the gas lighting, having trouble feeding the gas to them though - probably should have used tube rather than solid wire for the feeds!   :jester:

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Assuming the guys (and girls) at Didcot got it right this is what the inside of a third class compartment looks like. Carriage 1941 C10 All third. Livery is the preWW1 chocolate and cream (I think) with monograms and numbers in eaves panels.

attachicon.gifClerestory compartment small.jpg

No doubt Castle will be along shortly to verify.

Adrian

This is the correct now restored (2017)  moquette for the period.

post-32706-0-67113000-1506333942_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is the correct now restored (2017)  moquette for the period.

It is a shame I only have stripey paint!  :jester:

To be serious, this thread has helped tremendously, especially as I am painting in 1895 condition.  I was beginning to wonder if it wa possible to get a shot parallel to the seat, so then it could be copied into a sheet, then minified, before printing out snd stuck to the seats.

I am assuming the 'rep' for 2nd and 3rd class was the same.  What colour was the leather?  Natural dark brown, black?

Also I know on the Cambrian the wooden interiors were different on different classes of coach, was that the same with the GWR?

Finally, I am aware of First Class Family saloons, and Third Class saloons, (one was hired regularly on the Cambrian to transport a football team to matches), but what sort of family would hire a Third Class Family Saloon?  A middle class family who might normally travel Second Class?

Thank you in advance.