I talking about the need to be better than the 'boys' to prove that us 'girls' can build model railways successfully. I know there are examples like Missy, in 2mm circles, no pun intended. But in the world of model railway clubs there is still endemic sexism.

I do not appear to have done much to the layout. I done some work on the hinges, deepening the counter sinking to make sure that the flags lay flat, in transit and do not strain the hinges. This will make sure that the hinges do their secondary task in maintaining track alignment. I've also had to move on of the cable securing to make sure that the cable lies flat, and does not prevent the flap lying flat.

post-20065-0-94926100-1406212349_thumb.jpg

post-20065-0-00001200-1406212354_thumb.jpg

Above are two photographs of the layout in the transport position.

I tried to find a method of holding the flaps in position. Every method I attempted either didn't work or was vastly over complicated. In the end I realised that holding the flap in position, over the over centre catches whilst inverting the board, was simple and very effective. I guise this proves KIS, Keep It Simple!

I have also done some cleaning up of board edges, now the layout is progressing well. I am now ready to proceed to the next stage building the fixed part of the backscene.

Julie

I've taken a picture of the layout when folded up fits into the proposed carrying case.

post-20065-0-72288000-1406215078.jpg

I now need to move the handle mechanism to the outside of the case, to increase the usable depth of it.

Julie

EDIT Extra information added

• 2 weeks later...

I like this a lot,  it's interesting to see things done differently.  A lot of people would have folded it face to face along the centre line but your way works far better.  I applaud you for chopping a point in half and getting it to work afterwards.  I tried and failed with my micro.

The layout is designed to fit into a standard case. Thus the position of the hinged flap was determined.

I am currently rebuilding the case to give 'more depth'. More info and photographs to follow soon!

Julie

EDIT More info added

Removing the mechanism, involved removing four screws from the top of the mechanism and then withdrawing it. To remove the bottom bracket, the rivets fixing the case bottom reinforcement in place.

post-20065-0-94989800-1407134922.jpg

This was very difficult, because the rivets were designed to work harden when I attempted to drill them out. I think that I could have save work, by only removing two of the rivets and then carefully removing the bracket.

post-20065-0-34132500-1407134931.jpg

Having removed the handle mechanism from the inside of the case. The bottom bracket was trimmed, the curved portion was removed. Next job will be to fix the handle mechanism onto the case, using a thin piece of plywood to stiffen the case. This is necessary because the way the mechanism was fitted internally stiffened the case.

Julie

EDIT Photographs added

• RMweb Premium

A tiny caution. Airport security people cannot cope when they see something in the wrong container. For example I took some Lego through Stansted in a box left over from a pc video card, They fell silent, as if unable to comprehend what was in front of them - and I feared missing my flight while they dismantled, sniffed or opened everything else in my bag. In particular, if you carry a mains transformer for the railway beware of building it into a metal box their machine cannot see through. Hopefully they will see the railway and merely think of you as a bit of a crank; and of course the CI lot may be able to think for themselves too which would be even better.

- Richard.

Summery of Blog Comments - Isn't Hindsight Wonderful

The normal problem with these rivets is that they tend to spin when you drill them so have to resort to levering them up or filing them off, neither of which are very pretty.

KH1    Aug 05 2014 00:15

Hello Julie, I've only just seen your thread for this over in the forum. What an ingenious concept. I love the name too :-)

Mikkel    Aug 05 2014 06:10

Julie

I now back from Lundy and working on the layout carrying case again. The photograph below shows the back of the case, with the handle partly extended.

post-20065-0-76002600-1408142438.jpgpost-20065-0-89177200-1408142445.jpg

The hole where the mechanism was fitted inside the case has now been filled in. I used a piece of 0.75mm Pothythene sheet, clear, which was purchased mail order from Addlestone Models. It is covered with black Ryno tape. This is to make it more resistant to scratches.

The next stage of the project is to make some minor changes to the baseboard, to allow it to fit snugly into the case and allow maximum height of permanent backscene.

The case is made more rigid, by having a piece of 4mm plywood inside the case and then screwing the handle mechanism to it. The replaces the rigidity of having the mechanism inside. All the screws are locked in position using locking nuts.

Hopefully any custom’s or security personnel that I encounter on my travels will have access to the internet, and I will be able to give them the address of the forum. So they will be able to see what's inside the modified case, without destroying the case and it's contents. The problem that could arise from a modified commercial case were raised by 47137.

Julie

EDIT Spelling error

• 1 month later...

Hi

It's been a long time since I last posted on RMWeb. This has partly been because I needed to remove two small slots on the baseboard to allow it to sit flat on the plywood base within the carrying case. I was unsure exactly how much material I needed to remove to allow the fit.

I have now removed the material and the photograph below shows the layout board, upside down strapped into the case. I will need to add some side pieces to prevent the trains falling of the edge of the layout. I cut the slots using a junior hacksaw, partly because of the possibility, and this proved necessary, to cut through panel pins used to hold the components together whilst the wood glue was setting.

post-20065-0-12878900-1412950155.jpg

I also removed the lining of the case, to allow easier insertion of the layout. This marked a definite no going back stage in the project, as the case is only usable for layout transport!

On the scenic side of the layout the slots will be disguised by the scenic landforms and buildings.

Observant viewers will notice that one slot is slightly longer than the other, this was not intentional, but it will not cause a problem.

Julie

Steam_Julie 17:30 10-10-14

The intrusions into the case are the wheels.

Julie

Mike Oxon 17:57 10-10-14

it looks very neat but do remember to remove the scalpel before travelling or the security people really will go ballistic :)  I had a bad time at Washington once over a tiny pair of nail scissors that I had forgotten!

Mike

Steam_julie 23:40 10-10-14

Point taken.

Mikkel 07:37 11-10-14

I do like this concept. Especially the idea that you'll be walking in the crowds and noone will have a clue that there's a model railway right next to them! :-)

EDIT Spelling correction

Modelling Mistakes are Usually Correctable

I've now decided that after all I want to hold the flaps in position whilst I put the layout into it's carrying case for transport and or storage. This has been achieved using a single 5mm machine screw for each flap. The screw is retained, in position in the main layout board, using a nut. The flap is held in position using a washer and wing nut. Not the the hole in the flap requires to the a slot, because of the hinge action.

post-20065-0-13377800-1413473264.jpg

post-20065-0-44934000-1413473269_thumb.jpg

post-20065-0-10728000-1413473275.jpg

I have discoved that I can replace the slots cut out of the main board, beacse there is sufficent room, within the case, over the wheel arches. Is'nt hindsight wonderful, but it proves the rule that modelling mistakes are very rairly a problem, as they can usually be corrected.

post-20065-0-26113200-1413473447.jpg

post-20065-0-30328900-1413478881.jpg

Since the two pieces of plywood are held in position by wooden spacers, the reattaching of the removed parts can be affected by using a piece of this wood, held in by friction and wood glue to reattach them. The slot still exists on the flaps.

Julie

EDIT because of the result of a computer crash

COMMENT

You appear to be getting back on track with your layout.

Lisa

Lisa 17:47 16-10-14

• RMweb Premium

Modelling Mistakes are Usually Correctable

The mistakes that aren't correctible usually tell you how to do it a better way next time. I have tried out mechanisms like using one H&M point motor to throw two points and the whole thing "worked", even if after a huge expense of time devoted to it. Elongated holes are features, not something to apologise for. They are 'prototype development', not 'I had to alter it to make it work'.

This is a seriously good model and the general arrangement will suit many people who live in small flats or houses and want to store their layout away one day to start a new project. Is the layout a part of the suitcase, or stowed away inside it, and please can we have some pictures of folding the layout?

- Richard.

I could build a layout without a backscene, like the Pizza by Mark Fielder, but I have decided I want to have a backscene on my micro layout to complete the layout. Because the layout has to fit into a case for transport, it will have a fixed one, and an extension, mainly sky to set the scene. What I have been working on today is the support, for the backscene. This is made of 3mm plywood, it's height is 95mm.

Within this I will, using card insert the backscene itself, this will mean that there will be no corners in my sky.

The existing board ends had to be removed in order to allow the end extensions to be fitted. It was necessary to thin the bottoms of these pieces in order to allow the extensions to mate up and then track to line up correctly.

post-20065-0-62693900-1413649667.jpg

The components of the fixed backscene are made of 3mm plywood, and are held together with wood glue. To make sure they are correctly held in place whilst the glue sets, pins are used, They play no part in providing strength of the final joint. Traditionally panel pins are used for this. Because of the thin material and the micro nature of the layout, I have used lille pins instead. This reduces splitting and they are easier to insert, providing you use a pair of pliers to hold them whilst they are being hammered in.

post-20065-0-68718000-1413649686.jpg

Whilst the flaps are in the up position, to allow trains to operate, the washer and wing nut are stored under the layout, by being screwed onto the bolts.

post-20065-0-12799500-1413649720.jpg

Julie

• 1 month later...

I hope to get time to do some modelling done over Christmas.

The other block to progress is the design of the china clay loading facility. I have now decided that it will have a roof sloping towards the front of the layout. I have now started to build it.

Pictures to follow .....

Julie

Hi

I said to my friend Lisa, 2mm Lisa that is, a few days ago.

There's a hole in my backscene, dear Lisa, dear Lisa …...

post-20065-0-82178400-1419006465.jpg

post-20065-0-42447900-1419006470.jpg

post-20065-0-33419100-1419006479.jpg

post-20065-0-36759100-1419006475.jpg

post-20065-0-65096800-1419006486.jpg

Well there are two holes really but you get the idea. These holes are vital, because if there were not, trains would not be able to be run.

Julie

Hi

I have rounded the corner

I have brought, my highly transportable layout with me, when I travelled to Scotland to stay with family at Christmas.

Look up into the sky, and you see wide open spaces. The plywood backscene support has corners, something the sky does not have. I have use a layer of 2mm thick card to remove the corners from the front surface of the backscene support.

post-20065-0-66741000-1419106478.jpg

post-20065-0-91468600-1419106485.jpg

The actual backscene will be a think sheet of card, thin enough to be rolled up and held in a tube to protect it for transport. This will also allow the backscene to be higher than the backscene support. The height of the latter is determined because the layout has to fit into the case for ease of transport.

post-20065-0-20407100-1419106516.jpg

post-20065-0-97791500-1419106496.jpg

There will therefore be a small gap between the backscene support and the scenery. The backscene support will be painted to seal it, against ingress of moisture and thus make it more able to withstand wear. The colour will be light blue.

Julie

Archived