Hi, 

I hope this is the correct part of the forum to put this. I'm currently designing to my great Eastern Layout. I've got a number of Class 321 Units on order with Bratchell Models, Coupe class 309 Clacton Express Units from Britannia Pacific Models, and are looking for a company that makes or did make Class 315? I understand they're not the most popular of units, but I was just wondered if someone could help me with some info on sourcing one please?

Really appreciate your help in advance  :sungum:

No one makes a 315 Jack. Years ago (1990s) MTK might have produced a version of the 31x family units but they stopped trading back then too. There are a few smaller firms looking at 31x units but nothing has cropped up on to the market yet.

Cheers

Tom

Bob Davies of NTrain and Captain Electra have teamed up to make an N gauge 313 with the 314 and 315 in the works. I realise that is not especially helpful to you but there were plans for a 00 version as well a couple of years ago.

I am not sure what became of the idea but it might be worth emailing them to see if there is any chance of the project being resurrected. The N gauge version is basically done a computer with vinyls for the livery and a 3D-printed bodyshell. In theory, scaling it up should be possible.

Any blog or layout thread on the go Jack? GEML is right up my, er, street.

C6T.

Any blog or layout thread on the go Jack? GEML is right up my, er, street.

C6T.

Bob Davies of NTrain and Captain Electra have teamed up to make an N gauge 313 with the 314 and 315 in the works. I realise that is not especially helpful to you but there were plans for a 00 version as well a couple of years ago. I am not sure what became of the idea but it might be worth emailing them to see if there is any chance of the project being resurrected. The N gauge version is basically done a computer with vinyls for the livery and a 3D-printed bodyshell. In theory, scaling it up should be possible.

Pity there's no 315 available. Difficult to have a GER layout without them, as they're the basic EMU for the region.

Rob

No one makes a 315 Jack. Years ago (1990s) MTK might have produced a version of the 31x family units but they stopped trading back then too. There are a few smaller firms looking at 31x units but nothing has cropped up on to the market yet.

Cheers

Tom

Many thanks for all the information. I've emailed Southern Region Models, so hopefully I'll get what I'm after.

I'll start a blog soon. Idea is to actually start a website. The layout will be based on the GER in the early 1990's with Network Southeast, Intercity and London Underground. All my favourite British Rail companies in one. The layout itself will be a micro layout due to owning Garfield Avenue, an American Layout based in Chicago, and that taking up so much space. I'm trying to get an idea of the stock I can purchase so that I can design the layout around them. I'll keep you all posted as and when I develops. 

Thanks again everyone.

Southernregionmodels / Ayjay Kits are working on masters for class 508 / 313 kits at present, first picture of the masters here;

http://www.southernregionmodels.co.uk/

I hadn't looked at their website for some time so thanks for the heads up. There are a couple of other kits I would like there too, for when I get my tax refund.

These models are also available on Radley Models' website, which has online shopping facilities - http://www.radleymodels.com/southern-region.html .

Meanwhile you might like to see this photo of my Class 508 standing with its sliding doors open, adjacent to a 319 at Effingham South.

attachicon.gifEff508_319.JPG

Thank you very much. I love your layout! I remember your layout very well when it was published in Railway Modeller. Amazing layout. Is the class 508 scratch built?

Thank you very much. I love your layout! I remember your layout very well when it was published in Railway Modeller. Amazing layout. Is the class 508 scratch built?

I had only a small part in building the layout itself, though I do own it now.

The Class 508 is scratchbuilt and its construction was described in BRM magazine in 1998.

The sliding doors are worked by memory wire and power for these is derived from the third rail.

• 4 months later...

A power connection could also run from the shoes to the motor thus eliminating 1 track pickup

Not if you want to power the doors from the third rail as I do. When the unit is stopped there would be no supply to operate the door wires.

Originally, my unit used conventional DC 2 rail for traction, with the third rail as an independent 'always on' DC supply.

More recently, traction has become DCC controlled, but retaining the separate third rail. This can now also be connected to the DCC supply, or kept as DC. The on-board door control circuitry doesn't really mind so long as the voltage is sufficient. Doors are still controlled via the IR LED remote control link, so can only be operated when the sensor is in range within the platform area.

Can't find any more pictures of it at present. It rather pre-dated the widespread use of digital cameras so there aren't many photos around beyond those taken for the article and a few taken at exhibitions since.

Archived