GWR Livery Hawksworth Carriages Which Were They?

robmcg

Clear as mud indeed!

Something to remember too which I touched on above is the lining below the windows on chocolate & cream stock - the GWR 1946 / post-war version had double lining at this level, this includes any chocolate and cream stock painted in 1948, whereas the later BR 1956 onwards repaints only had a single line. If anyone is still in any doubt, it really is worth tracking down copies of Jim Russell's carriage books, and just bear in mind what I said earlier about some of the captions... ;)

Nick - see post #14...!

Liveries aside - and despite some folk feeling that Hornby doing Hawksworths in the first place was an odd move considering the calls for up to date Collett stock, one good thing about Hawksworths in general is that bacause they were built quite late in the day, some of them lasted in service until 1966 / 67, in fact I don't think the first ones were condemned until 1965.

Since the OP asked the original question I've certainly thought about buying some more in various liveries!

No problem Nick and I ought to confess that despite having the Russell books for decades, I only noticed the droplights about ten years ago!

There are certainly some interesting little tweaks that can be carried out on the excellent Hornby models...

Hi Steffi,

I never said Hornby had produced BR chocolate & cream Hawksworth coaches. I said that some were miss-labelled as BR when they contained GWR liveried stock. Even in the 2014 catalogue on page 114 the choc. & cream Hawksworth is labelled as BR (GWR) when it is clearly in GWR livery.

The sole point in my original post was to alert people to the miss-labelling. When browsing dealers shelves, the end label is often the only thing on show, and anyone looking for GWR Hawksworths may pass over a box label stating BR.

I disagreed with your post because you implied I was confused and then admitted that some miss-labelling had occurred in a later post.

best regards

David 

However, just to confuse matters, there is also the Hawksworth stock that was built in 1948. These vehicles were released to traffic in BR days but the Crimson and Cream livery was not finalised for a while. I think Swindon didn't start outshopping Cimson and cream until around November 1948 (I am sure someone can give the date).

So Hawksworth vehicles released to traffic during the first 10 months of 1948 had a slightly ambiguous livery. It was still GWR choclate and cream but it lacked the great western crest and also had the 'W' prefix applied to the running number creating a hybrid livery.

Clear as mud? :D

To add to the confusion and Swindon's usual exception to the rule - there were a pair of brake compos nos 7372 and 7377. Although built in 1948 they were released in full GWR Hawksworth livery which they retained until 1957. They were kept in immaculate condition throughout as their primary work was to be marshalled front and back of the Royal Train. They were used on other duties, usually race specials etc or workings which brought them back to Old Oak pronto where they could be kept in check. After 1957, the GWR branding was painted out, but the chocolate and Cream livery retained. As far as I am aware neither ever received any other livery and were subsequently preserved.

The three brake compo slip conversion regained their C&C livery in 1957 as did the all third 796 in 1961 when it became the new Dynamometer Car.

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...

no, says 'out of stock' and has done for a while!

I don't think there are any left.  Hornby cleared their remaining stock via eBay a couple of months ago at £26.99 apiece and they were snapped up pretty much as soon as they were listed.

I don't think there are any left.  Hornby cleared their remaining stock via eBay a couple of months ago at £26.99 apiece and they were snapped up pretty much as soon as they were listed.

I thought it was only brake vehicles they had?

If anyone has eyes in their local (offline) modelshop...

I thought it was only brake vehicles they had?

Not at all.  I grabbed a couple of R4501s myself.

Good luck with the search; from what I've seen the brown & cream carriages were very popular as against the later liveries (which are still easy to find).

G-BOAF. I am quite certain (perhaps around 75% or so) that the Shed Shop at Grosmont had some GWR liveried Hawksworths in when I visited the weekend before last - and I believe they do post out, if you should ask nicely. Might be worth giving them a call?

Additionally, I am also quite certain that there were a couple of all 3rds lurking on the discount shelves in the Hornby concession in the Newcastle Fenwicks when I visited in the summer. Perhaps a benevolent Tyneside-based RMwebber may be able to help you out here? The shelves were in a bit of disarray when I examined them, but it was a treasure trove of diagrams and liveries, all at around £25-£29 a go. I did not pick any up myself as I already have enough for my needs.

Of course, they do turn up on eBay from time to time, but they command a nice premium over the other liveries. 

Good luck. 

CoY. 

Archived