RTC Class 31 13970 Livery

Andy Siddall

Hello all,

I am doing a little research into the correct colour shades for 31970 as running in the late 1980s for a friend who is having a model painted for him.

I have had a google around but could not come up with a definitive answer for the red on the bodyside, in some photos it looks like Rail Red but in others it appears to be much more Orange in appearance almost matching the cantrail stripe.

Although this could just be an effect of light, from memory I am sure that the red was more like that used for the stripe in InterCity Executive livery.

Anyway at the moment as I see it, I have the following list of colours,

Roof - Standard Roof Dark Grey

Light Grey Upper and Lower bodysides - BR Executive Light Grey

Red Body Side - BR Rail Red

Warning Panel - Post 1984 warning Panel Yelow

Black window surrounds and Bodystripe - Black (Rather obviously)!

Cantrail Stripe in Orange.

Does this look right to those in the know or can anyone spread further light on this livery, please?

All replies thankfully received.

Cheers

Andy

I was hauled by this locomotive in a few test trains, and it used to be notorious for gassing out the RTC yard when it was started up, but I can't answer your questions fully. 

The same red was used as in a range of other RTC vehicles.  I agree it looked a lot more orange than Rail Red, but this could be an optical illusion.  I think some of the old RTC vehicles are still at Ruddington if you want to check them out, though the colour has probably faded. 

There are a couple of other old Research hands on here who may have better information. 

Many thanks guys!

So my original list is not too far off, just BR Intercity red (early) and I take it the bodyside stripe is the dark grey rather black as I originally thought.

I shall pass this info onto my mate and hopefully post images of the finished loco as and when.

Cheers

Andy

Many thanks guys!

So my original list is not too far off, just BR Intercity red (early) and I take it the bodyside stripe is the dark grey rather black as I originally thought.

I shall pass this info onto my mate and hopefully post images of the finished loco as and when.

Cheers

Andy

Andy

This shot is probably a better comparison and confirms your conclusions. (The next shot taken on the day.!)

post-1161-0-87109300-1411570419_thumb.jpg

Archived