Anything happening?

cromptonnut

Sorry; the last couple of months have been distractingly busy with shows, upgrade plans and photo jobs to personally do any meaningful modelling; I'd intended to get on with it as soon as Tim's baseboards land but I haven't got those yet. So far the heart of the interest seemed to be in the S & SE so maybe the rest of the country needs a bit of a shove. Although I see it as an organic project based on the community rather than being led from this end I'm happy to hear what you'd like from me/us to move it up a gear. We could certainly do an article in the mag to show what's happening too, maybe use this as a basis for a challenge from Christmas onwards?

Personally speaking I guess I'd like the following things considered...

1) A name locked down.

2) Are we all agreed (by the lack of recent discussion) that 'the standards' are sufficient to enable us to lock those down too?

3) A 'challenge'  with a set date for some kind of 'regional meet' programme to come together?  (I know down in SECAG we're tentatively working towards a late Spring one, and there was at least two more mentioned elsewhere in the UK). 

4) An article might be useful - and no I wasn't necessarily volunteering! (although I have had things in Model Rail in the distant past).

5) If a meet were to be organised with the results ending up as a magazine article, would there be any "up front" cash to help towards hall hire etc? (assuming standard 'article rates' apply).

6) That thorny issue of insurance ... is there a 'national policy' anyone organising a meet could "buy in to", meeting certain conditions, which would work out easier than "day policies" which are typically not that much cheaper than annual policies.  Someone has to be responsible for organising events and clearly it wouldn't be good for people to end up out of pocket if things fell through.

I'm certainly looking forward to the Tim Horn baseboards too - but that's another issue.

There's a few of us down in SECAG that are independently working on 'stuff', and I'm working on a series of boards that work as a complete branch line (but available in a variety of configurations and shapes meaning it can be used as a standalone exhibition layout (one of my "modules" is a 6 road fiddle tunnel to fiddle yard) in its own right which can in many ways be used to "get the word out" about modules.  The one thing holding me back so far is "legs" - and I think at the end of it I'm going to have about 50ft of layout.  Quite how I'm going to get that lot in a Fiesta is, of course, another story...

• RMweb Gold

1) A name locked down..

Rmweb modular should cover us until something snappy takes hold ;)

2) Are we all agreed (by the lack of recent discussion) that 'the standards' are sufficient to enable us to lock those down too?

Yes

3) A 'challenge' with a set date for some kind of 'regional meet' programme to come together? (I know down in SECAG we're tentatively working towards a late Spring one, and there was at least two more mentioned elsewhere in the UK)

That depends on an organiser stepping up, I'd considered it but as my roster looks to be in major flux sometime in Feb I can't tie down a set holiday. Already two booked shows look to be going to cost me extra due to this so don't want to throw another Sunday!

4) An article might be useful - and no I wasn't necessarily volunteering! (although I have had things in Model Rail in the distant past).

5) If a meet were to be organised with the results ending up as a magazine article, would there be any "up front" cash to help towards hall hire etc? (assuming standard 'article rates' apply) .

With the US style meet we just got people to commit to a deposit and once enough did to hire the hall the event was on, the deposit collected and the hall hired. Little risk as no one held money for any period. Yes you do need someone ideally known to a few members for security but the organising emails and PayPal etc transfers are all good enough legal traces in the event of problems.

6) That thorny issue of insurance ... is there a 'national policy' anyone organising a meet could "buy in to", meeting certain conditions, which would work out easier than "day policies" which are typically not that much cheaper than annual policies. Someone has to be responsible for organising events and clearly it wouldn't be good for people to end up out of pocket if things fell through.

I've asked Nick (Northpoint) for how he did it and will post answer if Nick doesn't see this thread. Again we split the cost and Nick only collected money when ready to hire the hall and insure the event. You'd need to consider it a non refundable deposit unless you found someone to take your place if you had to back out.

• RMweb Gold

Ok, Nick used Magnet Insurance just for Public Liability only with

http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/step1.aspx?InsType=Exhibition

And the terms

http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/docs/cover-summary-Exhibition.pdf

I put in a nominal figure of £4000 to cover the modules only and got £53 as the online quote. A more detailed quote looking at the actual details would be done before making anything official but I might be able to talk to them at Warley about this.

I'm assuming from that that people would remove their locos etc overnight as you only need one or two each lessening the risk of theft of a significant amount substanially. Now the figure I chose assumes people calculating the cost of their module on parts only, NOT what it would cost to commission like I would with a layout, or the costs get ridiculous if everyone quotes £2000 per module for cover.

So as a rough initial guide only,

I used a calculation of 20 4ft modules at £200 each. I would suggest that. If you share that between say 10 people, assuming they bring 2 each it's only £5.30 per person or £2.65 per board.

A standard cover of say £200 per module, assuming the above If someone wants to ask £2000 cover then I would suggest they pay the proportion of the total insurance as this would be a mutual group thing rather than a money making show. So if they wanted £2000 cover they would pay 10x the fee based on the £200 standard unit. That would make it fair as you pay your share of the insurance. If you want the stock included than you add that in and pay that too.

Note there is an excess that would have to be shared in the event of a claim.

Ok, Nick used Magnet Insurance just for Public Liability only with

http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/step1.aspx?InsType=Exhibition

And the terms

http://www.modelrailwayinsurance.co.uk/docs/cover-summary-Exhibition.pdf

I put in a nominal figure of £4000 to cover the modules only and got £53 as the online quote. A more detailed quote looking at the actual details would be done before making anything official but I might be able to talk to them at Warley about this.

I'm assuming from that that people would remove their locos etc overnight as you only need one or two each lessening the risk of theft of a significant amount substanially. Now the figure I chose assumes people calculating the cost of their module on parts only, NOT what it would cost to commission like I would with a layout, or the costs get ridiculous if everyone quotes £2000 per module for cover.

So as a rough initial guide only,

I used a calculation of 20 4ft modules at £200 each. I would suggest that. If you share that between say 10 people, assuming they bring 2 each it's only £5.30 per person or £2.65 per board.

A standard cover of say £200 per module, assuming the above If someone wants to ask £2000 cover then I would suggest they pay the proportion of the total insurance as this would be a mutual group thing rather than a money making show. So if they wanted £2000 cover they would pay 10x the fee based on the £200 standard unit. That would make it fair as you pay your share of the insurance. If you want the stock included than you add that in and pay that too.

Note there is an excess that would have to be shared in the event of a claim.

I take it this quote is per individual meet, do they also do annual cover to any meet throughout the country or would that have to involve setting up a club or society to be used as an umbrella??

A quick play on their site  gives cover up to £19232 for £53.00 (I didn't bother fine tuning it to the pence  :O ). I doubt if it will make difference to the fee, but as the meet is not a public event, then risks should be less. I believe that in some instances, cover for individual locos, etc., may be included in your home insurance, but fiddling with such detail may not be worth the effort.

• RMweb Gold

I take it this quote is per individual meet, do they also do annual cover to any meet throughout the country or would that have to involve setting up a club or society to be used as an umbrella??

Yes it's for one event and an annual one would have to assume at least so many events and everyone contributing even if there was only one near them. As a result I think doing it individually and being shared by the direct participants is easier. At the US meet at Armitage it came to £16 each for hall hire and insurance for two days. I had to book a hotel on top but still slightly less than a weekend away and riding on a steam railway each day ;)

Yes it's for one event and an annual one would have to assume at least so many events and everyone contributing even if there was only one near them. As a result I think doing it individually and being shared by the direct participants is easier. At the US meet at Armitage it came to £16 each for hall hire and insurance for two days. I had to book a hotel on top but still slightly less than a weekend away and riding on a steam railway each day ;)

This sounds ok to me as a pay per event it may work out cheaper to do a yearly policy but for now an event by event basis should be ok until things settle.

Personally speaking I guess I'd like the following things considered...

1) A name locked down.

3) A 'challenge'  with a set date for some kind of 'regional meet' programme to come together?  (I know down in SECAG we're tentatively working towards a late Spring one, and there was at least two more mentioned elsewhere in the UK). 

5) If a meet were to be organised with the results ending up as a magazine article, would there be any "up front" cash to help towards hall hire etc? (assuming standard 'article rates' apply).

6) That thorny issue of insurance ... is there a 'national policy' anyone organising a meet could "buy in to", meeting certain conditions, which would work out easier than "day policies" which are typically not that much cheaper than annual policies.  Someone has to be responsible for organising events and clearly it wouldn't be good for people to end up out of pocket if things fell through.

I'm certainly looking forward to the Tim Horn baseboards too - but that's another issue.

There's a few of us down in SECAG that are independently working on 'stuff', and I'm working on a series of boards that work as a complete branch line (but available in a variety of configurations and shapes meaning it can be used as a standalone exhibition layout (one of my "modules" is a 6 road fiddle tunnel to fiddle yard) in its own right which can in many ways be used to "get the word out" about modules.  The one thing holding me back so far is "legs" - and I think at the end of it I'm going to have about 50ft of layout.  Quite how I'm going to get that lot in a Fiesta is, of course, another story...

1. Are we going with the highest polling name "Britmod" with "-OO" after "Britmod-OO" ?? if we are can someone make a little signature banner? :paint:

2. Yes -  and any queries are generally raised on here with commonsense replies :imsohappy:

3. I think a "challenge" would be the key to getting more involved and getting the idea out there. I agree with a date to work towards eg. The Festival of British Railway Modelling Doncaster in Feb 2016 ( which would give a full year if its going to be the 2015 Challenge) and would give me time to get my holidays in before all the other scavengers.... ;)  

4. A tie in with the BRM Magazine sounds good... get writing :whistle:

5. as 4..... :good:

6. Probably Day Insurance 1st then see how things progress over the year...

Any word on a likely date for the SECAG modular meet? I think the poll was April or May any thoughs yet with Saturday or Sunday split or both? 

Cheers

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I've put my module on hold in the hope that something kickstarts the project in the new year.

as there doesn't appear to be much going on with it...

not even tumbleweed blowing through the modular land ...oh hang on whats this.......

post-12740-0-43736300-1418589846.gif

Steve

:jester:

I think that people are either quietly beavering away on things, or are waiting for some instruction "from on high" whereas really it just needs small groups of people to get together and prove the concept, then others will see that it works and start wanting to do likewise.

Every other modular concept in the world started from nothing more than an idea and a discussion.  Let's not forget that we've only had 6 months or so since this was first mooted, others have been going for 10 years or more and it'll take a while to get going properly.

No doubt there were many other modular ideas that started, and failed.  Will the "RMWeb standard" succeed or fail?  To be honest, that's entirely up to us to decide...

• RMweb Gold

Well if anyone wants to get an idea of a modular setup consider getting in touch for a visit to the USA freemo Exeter or Armitage meets by contacting Martyn or Nick. There would be a small donation probably to the hire asked as those of us fully participating are paying towards it too but it might inspire and tell a bit about operation. The July meet was the first I went to and I picked it up easily so don't let operation intimidate as it's a bigger version of the popular shunting puzzles in a way.

It would be good to see this as the 2015 RMWeb challenge which is why I've pressed the pause button in the hope it is and I'll enter that and re-start.

I was also hoping for something of a show of modules at RMWeb Live 2015 but thats unfortunatly gone so its a case of waiting and see when a National get together will be for a target to work towards. 

So fingers crossed that this will get rolling once more in the New Year.  

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well we had another US meet today and the photos are here,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/88523-new-year-freemo-meet/&do=findComment&comment=1727290

We had quite a few dcc gremlins but it was still great fun because you can just chat while the problem is identified and sorted. Proves you don't need to start slick and fully sorted to have a good meet.

Archived