Reverse Pullman blue/grey livery

tchunter

If my memory serves me correctly the pullman blue/grey were just the standard BR Corporate Image colours but applied in reverse order and without the white lining applied to ordinary stock.

You could be right I thought that it might be a bit darker than the standard grey.

Hi All

I was wondering what grey was used on the blue/grey reverse pullman livery applied to the Met-Cam pullmans, Blue pullmans and some older traditional Golden Arrow cars and does any paint manufacturer sell it?

Neil

I don't think the older style of Pullmans used the "reverse" livery, did they? Pics I've seen of Golden Arrow and Brighton Belle cars suggest an adaptation of the usual blue/grey scheme for corridor stock.

David

I don't think the older style of Pullmans used the "reverse" livery, did they? Pics I've seen of Golden Arrow and Brighton Belle cars suggest an adaptation of the usual blue/grey scheme for corridor stock.

David

Hi all,

Not sure of which one but at least one of the older slab sided cars ran in the reverse blue/grey livery, sure someone will know which one/ones did.

Mick

The first Pullman on the SR to be painted reverse grey/blue was 208, the brake coach in the Golden Arrow set. All subsequent repaints were in the lined out blue & grey style. When the first 5Bel set was done it initially had Pullman in the lower panel, which was changed to Brighton Belle before it left Eastleigh.

Chris

Hi

There are a couple of good black & white pictures of the two Golden Arrow cars in this livery here

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/coupe_se05.pdf

and one distant colour one here

http://www.dover.freeuk.com/railway/dover_marine.htm

but I think that they were only ones done, not surprising when you see the result.

Neil

Thanks for the links - an odd-looking beast indeed. No wonder they swapped to the Belle-style livery. The "Nightcap Bar" (ex-Pegasus) on the SEMG page looks none too pleasing either in bog-standard blue & grey with no lining to relieve the slab-sided profile.

David

Hello there.

Well there were at least three of these horrors, as the enclosed link shows a photograph of two of the 1951 cars in the reversed livery, plus another in the more conventional blue and grey livery. So this means those treated were Car 208 the converted Guard Parlour car and two of the 1951 cars as yet positively identified.

Warning, this picture is in 'colour' and Pullman traditionalists should look away.

http://www.semgonline.com/misc/named_17.html

This of course brings about the thought (nightmare?) of a Golden Arrow formation with one car in brown/cream livery, one in reversed grey/blue and one in the later blue/grey. With that thought in mind, I shall now retire to a darkened room for a while.

Hello there.

Well there were at least three of these horrors, as the enclosed link shows a photograph of two of the 1951 cars in the reversed livery, plus another in the more conventional blue and grey livery. So this means those treated were Car 208 the converted Guard Parlour car and two of the 1951 cars as yet positively identified.

Warning, this picture is in 'colour' and Pullman traditionalists should look away.

http://www.semgonline.com/misc/named_17.html

This of course brings about the thought (nightmare?) of a Golden Arrow formation with one car in brown/cream livery, one in reversed grey/blue and one in the later blue/grey. With that thought in mind, I shall now retire to a darkened room for a while.

The photo you linked to seems enough of a pick 'n' mix as it is! I understand that the SR was pretty prompt in repainting its ordinary corridor stock into blue/grey from green, so my thoughts of a GA formation with 3 liveries of Pullman AND 2 liveries of ordinary stock might be stretching the point a little too far....

David

Archived