Old Lane to Copley - back from 'dormant' to 'active'

• RMweb Premium

I've made another discovery - for straight or very gently curving inset track.

I put a micrometer across some code 75 rail from a length of Peco SL-100F flexi track:
head width = 0.032"
foot width = 0.068"

If you place two lengths of this rail beside each other and touching at the foot, the flangeway clearance you get is
( 0.068 - 0.032 ) x 2 / 2 = 0.036" = 0.91 mm.

So, lay the two check rails using the ordinary 00-BF roller gauge. Then add the two running rails by placing them tight against the check rails. I put a test piece together with some superglue on a sheet of foam board. One thing to watch, with what is now virtually 16 mm gauge track the wheels overhang outside even more - the modelled ground surface has got to be below the head of the running rail for 3 mm or so away from the track

The flangeway gap is well below the 1mm of 00-SF so we clearly cannot call it 00-SF, but it does seem to work! It would save a lot of money on gauges if your ambitions are limited to a length of straight-ish inset track.

- Richard.

Edit:
"the modelled ground surface has got to be below the head of the running rail"
changed to
"the modelled ground surface has got to be below the head of the running rail for 3 mm or so away from the track".

post-14389-0-19279300-1424339164_thumb.jpg
post-14389-0-69493400-1424339182_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

The stuff you are doing is looking great ! 47137 - there will be some inset track for which I will have a go at those methods.  

I am actually wanting to build the points too as not done any for a while- and wanting to do this for space saving reasons too! 
- sadly there seems to be a rush on OO-sf at the moment and its looking like a while till I get my gauges either via the DCC concepts or C&L route 
- I've got a 'shake the box' style N gauge boxfile on the go and may see the light of day on here sometime ;) to keep me going for the time being :)

• RMweb Premium

All 00 track is about keeping interoperability and producing some kind of illusion. For inset track, you need to put some kind of scale-free infill between the check rails, like concrete or tarmac. If you try scaleable things like timber planks or stone setts you cannot fit enough of them in. For plain track and points I favour UK standards built to HO scale, like "gapped Peco". The proportions are right when you look at an empty track, and the track is hidden when a train rolls over it.

- Richard.

• RMweb Gold
If you try scaleable things like timber planks or stone setts you cannot fit enough of them in. 

Thats a very valid point- I think thats why many scribe sets - so you can get the right number rather than the right size- as you say its all about maintaining the illusion, 

- the easy way out is EM track and easily convertable diesels ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have pressed on with 00-SF and made my first point. It's not very pretty to look at (see photos) but it is mechanically "right" and a coat of paint will help the appearance a lot. It has got to be one of the most satisfying things I have made for a while. It is a copy of a Peco small radius RH point, rather than a model of a real point, so it will fit the layout. It is actually a shallow 'wye' with a slight curve to the left, and by doing this it is possible to hide the transitions for 16.5 to 16.2 mm gauge each side of the frog. The rest of the point is 16.5 gauge through the point blades.

I hope this provides some encouragement to people. To me, this is best compromise I can imagine - I keep interoperability with the club 00 layout, trains run through it very smoothly, and it has a sort of "finescale" look to it too.

- Richard.

post-14389-0-39546700-1425830464_thumb.jpg

post-14389-0-62399600-1425830481_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just a cautionary note, but if the turnouts need a radius below about thirty inches, then 00-SF turnouts (1mm crossing flangeway, 15.2 mm check gauge) will need a little gauge widening opposite the wing rails so trains will go through them. This will leave you with a check rail gap which is bigger than the crossing flangeway, which may or may not be acceptable to you. When I make my next turnout (about a 24 inch radius) , I am going to try for a 1.1 mm crossing flangeway instead, to minimise the visual difference. I'll keep the 15.2 mm check gauge, and it should look ok, but it won't be 00-SF.

- Richard.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok, time for an update, I do have most of the materials in hand now- including the gauges :)

Model railwaying is very much a dark evenings pastime for me, as I am also into cycling & other outdoor stuff, so whilst its light till 10pm here - still just in August I'm likely to be up the hill on my mountain bike, I will be making a start soon though honest :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We'll be waiting.

As always. :P

Haha indeed, and I'm not sure how to put this, but I just received a few bits and bats off ebay. EM track and some various bits and bats of half built point kits.....oh and a blue class 24, ooops, so it looks like all change again lol   :no:  ....and been on hols in GNSR territory again lol

• RMweb Gold

One of these days someone is going to get fed up and build it for you! :D

One things for sure no matter how original you think an idea is its pretty much gauranteed that someone will have built similar or based on the same subject before, I was looking at a nicely reproduced version of the footbridge in these shots the other day on the net , cant just remember the layout but it looked pretty good :)

EDIT: it was Carl Krowthers Hebble Vale Goods EM /BR blue

• RMweb Gold
 I just received a few bits and bats off ebay. EM track and some various bits and bats of half built point kits.

Onwards & upwards - or more likely just sideways - anyway it's housewarming night at my new thread lmao ;)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/102754-back-in-em-gauge-small-goods-yard/&do=findComment&comment=2008071

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK so having got a couple more projects - I managed to confine the EM stuff to a couple of boxfiles instead of going for a full scale layout. 
(http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105224-2-boxfiles-joined-track-layed-wired-em-scenic-test-track/)

I see the J50 is out and one of the variants includes 68959 of the Queensbury route, so got one  that pre-ordered from the big liverpuddlian box shifter (other retailers available) 
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-8964-0-87047000-1394069504.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Russ the J50 is moving on, running samples now, see link from Hornby.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/j50-running-sample/

How's your progress ?

Are you going to get it to a running stage before the J50 is released?

The Challenge was set earlier.

I know been emailed saying the varient I ordered is being released in June 2016 - PHEW  it was getting a bit close there as I know some are enjoying their J50's already , in fact I may just get an LNER one just to look at lol ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

- since having a few brainwaves to get this project on the move again over the festive period a few things have been spurred on by retail therapy, 

took the plunge with the Gorton J50 with the extended bunker - as decided I quite liked the look of it lol :)  -  for Yorkshire prototype this gives 3 possible numbers all based at Leeds (Copley Hill) - I quite fancy adapting the original idea to a parcels depot as compared to general freight, with platform and interesting non passenger carrying coaches and early vacuum braked vans 

I also made a few decisions re trackwork and now have about 5 metres of C&L base - with correct sleeper spacing, I know need to make a decision regards using this with peco points or taking the decision to go back in to point building... also fiddle yard to siding ratio. 

1 hidden road into 3 sidings with peco 3- way is the easiest option, as the original plan
- but 2 hidden roads into 3 or 4 roads with handbuilt points is also an option.
- I already have a decent looking turnout which I acquired with some other stuff but I am not sure what standard it is or anything - SMP kit I believe from when I first started out 
which would give the 2 into 3 a quick start all with good looking track, about 3 feet scenic length with 24" traverser fiddle yard is my favourite at the moment. 

There is a Copley in Halifax and Leeds so covers all bases ;)

• RMweb Gold

Recently been reading the Feb 2016 Railway modeller which has  a micro layout called Hudson Road, based on the old station in york within the city wall - it has given me a lot of food for thought , and thinking I now have a plan . very similar but with the original 3 roads rather than the 4 on that layout ... alot of nice touches though.. 

-definitely up for the parcels/perishables ideas now - interesting stock , and not justifying open wagons coming in full/empty or going back out full/empty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Russ, long time no speak! I also like the look of Hudson Road. Having operated (played with) Mudmagnet's Acacia Avenue layout (which is effectively the same track plan as Hudson Road), it is surprising how much enjoyment can be had from shuffling a few parcels vans around; Richard has the additional feature of DDC sound diesels which does add another dimension, but moving back some years and incorporating perishables vans would also increase operability ('play value!').

Hope you can make progress (says the serial non-achiever!) 

Archived