Makeover of Tri-ang North British Shunter

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Introduction

I recently took the opportunity to purchase an old, tired Tri-ang 0-4-0 diesel shunter. These toys are listed here http://www.hornbyguide.com/item_details.asp?itemid=832 as Class 06 (built by Barclay), but they are closer in appearance to Class D2/10 locos (built by North British Locomotive Company), as seen here: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p755970260. As I enjoy a bit of a challenge, I decided to give this toy a makeover.

The model, as received was entirely blue, unlettered and lacked buffers.

attachicon.gifNBL 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, 01, 06 Feb 2015.JPG

attachicon.gifNBL 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, 02, 06 Feb 2015.JPG

Construction

I removed the chassis and replaced the wheels/axles/gears with suitable Romford ones, adjusting the angle of the X04 motor until gears meshed perfectly.

The body was straight, uncracked and with no parts missing, so I cleaned it and repainted it in BR green/black. I fitted buffers from a scrapped contemporary Tri-ang “Nellie”. The Tri-ang couplers were replaced with slim Bachmann ones.

Once the paint had cured, the model was lettered as the loco would have been when new, wearing pre-1958 numbers with the early crest. (This fits in with my 1958-1960 BR collection.) Once these had set, the upper works were given a coat of Humbrol satin clear and the cab was glazed.

The model now looks less toy-like, but is robust enough for my 3-year-old grand-daughter to play with from time to time.

attachicon.gifNBL 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, 04, 10 Feb 2015.JPG

attachicon.gifNBL 0-4-0 Diesel Shunter, 05, 10 Feb 2015.JPG

Reflections

The end result is still not a scale model, but does look and run superbly, even over Peco dead-frog points. Its Romford 14mm dia. wheels look so much better than the original “steamroller” wheels. It can crawl smoothly or run at an uprototypical fast clip. It is powerful enough to shunt a 6-coach set but still suitable to be played with by a 3-year-old child.

This project was a “quickie”, taking only a couple of weeks, but it was fun. Isn’t that what the hobby is all about?

Regards and happy modelling,

Rob

Just found this post - lovely job.  Just changing the wheels and adding glazing transforms it.  I still have one of these somewhere and you've inspired me to do something with it.  I'll be giving mine bigger buffers though, industrial diesels always seem to have monster "hands"!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/02/2015 at 05:59, RosiesBoss said:

post-17793-0-19788500-1423547751_thumb.jpg

post-17793-0-57022400-1423547779_thumb.jpg

Oh dear - another inspiring small shunter! Brilliant upgrading, Rob, and thank you for the information about 14mm Romford wheels. I shall now start watching the Bay of Fleas and see if I might acquire one of these in the very near future to add to my rapidly increasing fleet of "dock authority" shunters!

Steve

• Like 1