North Eastern Region Station Gutters & Downpipes

Brian D

Does anyone know what colour the North Eastern Region of British Railways generally painted their station roof drainage gutters and downpipes?  As those who have visited my layout thread will know, I am giving my existing layout a makeover pending construction of a new layout when the weather warms up a bit.  I am currently rebuilding the station building and would like to be as prototypical as possible.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Brian.

A nice bright light blue colour i believe, tangerine signs on the stations and blue furniture, havnt got a humbrol colour chart handy but im sure precision or rail match will have it as North Eastern region blue.

Edit a quick google and i found this pic http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/north%20yorkshire%20moors%20rly_2013/P1130444s.jpg

Cheers

James

A nice bright light blue colour i believe, tangerine signs on the stations and blue furniture, havnt got a humbrol colour chart handy but im sure precision or rail match will have it as North Eastern region blue.

Edit a quick google and i found this pic http://www.onlineweb.com/rail/photos/north%20yorkshire%20moors%20rly_2013/P1130444s.jpg

Cheers

James

Thanks, James.  I hadn't consulted Google but I was aware and I also have a colour photo in one of my railway reference books that platform lamps were likely to be a light blue which I plan to use for my lamps as well.  I also have pictures of BR(NE) signal boxes with what appear to be light blue gutters.  I'm all geared up with the tangerine signs thanks - see my layout thread.

The image you have posted is from the preserved NYMR.  I worry sometimes that copying what is shown there, or even indeed any other "heritage" line, may be a bit of a pastiche that doesn't actually represent BR days, or does it? Therein lies the quandary in my mind.  I would sooner rely on pictures taken in the 1950s or the 1960s.

This is not to say that I am very thankful for your reply to my question - thank you very much and it may well be the case that my gutters etc end up light blue.  Thanks also for the potential paint source references

Best Regards,

Brian.

I know exactly what you mean, but colour pics of the period are a bit thin on the ground for station infrastructure. Dave F's thread may yeild a decent ref pic. Iv just remembered iv seen some period pics from Ripon station before demolition, another google turned up a couple of pics, nt sure about guttering but i think down pipes are in blue https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8483/8274566524_4724712a70_m.jpgbut having said that i bet each station is different so id say if it looks right it is right! Ill have a look through your layout thread, always good to see another NER fan, i must get a thread of my efforts of Bilton junction up

Cheers

James

The surviving NER ironwork on the Tyneside loop stations is generally light blue, although there are also some bits in a very pale cream - more milk than cream but some of that could simply be down to fading over the years. Basically rainwater goods are blue. Cast iron columns supporting canopies are light blue up to the point where they fan out in fancy ironwork under the canopy itself which is painted cream.

Rather frighteningly a part of one of our canopies is still displaying an area of LNER blue.

I know exactly what you mean, but colour pics of the period are a bit thin on the ground for station infrastructure. Dave F's thread may yeild a decent ref pic. Iv just remembered iv seen some period pics from Ripon station before demolition, another google turned up a couple of pics, nt sure about guttering but i think down pipes are in blue https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8483/8274566524_4724712a70_m.jpgbut having said that i bet each station is different so id say if it looks right it is right! Ill have a look through your layout thread, always good to see another NER fan, i must get a thread of my efforts of Bilton junction up

Cheers

James

Thanks again James.  Looks like "blue is the colour"  :jester:

Regards,

Brian.

The surviving NER ironwork on the Tyneside loop stations is generally light blue, although there are also some bits in a very pale cream - more milk than cream but some of that could simply be down to fading over the years. Basically rainwater goods are blue. Cast iron columns supporting canopies are light blue up to the point where they fan out in fancy ironwork under the canopy itself which is painted cream.

Rather frighteningly a part of one of our canopies is still displaying an area of LNER blue.

Thanks for this, Caledonian.  Yours and James's posts have convinced me to use blue.

Regards,

Brian.

Archived