Swansea South Dock in 7mm

RandyWales

Hi again...

Swansea Railway Modellers Group are busying themselves building a model of Swansea South Dock in 7mm scale.

We were fortunate to obtain the services of James Claypole of BSD Hobbies to build this model of the huge wharfside 21-Shed.

In October, the layout will be on display in the very same building, which now houses the National Maritime Museum of Wales.

When the building was unveiled at the clubhouse this evening many jaws hit the floor.

The structure is around nine feet long and two feet wide in 7mm scale.

The first image shows around two-thirds of the final length.

Randall

post-6897-0-43285300-1429219295_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-42175800-1429219388_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-04963300-1429219432_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-30297100-1429219460_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hi again...

Swansea South Dock has it's first public viewing at the SRMG exhibition in Swansea (admission free) this coming weekend 3rd/4th October. Hope to see some of you there?

I've attached an image showing my contribution to the piece.

St Nicholas Church aka Swansea Seamen's Mission (now an art gallery).

Randall

post-6897-0-65475000-1443385788_thumb.jpg

post-6897-0-36887200-1443385775_thumb.jpg

Hi again....

As if the warehouse building in the OP wasn't impressive enough, Carl O'Connor's swing bridge made an appearance at the Swansea Club this evening ahead of the exhibition this weekend...and yes, those are real welds you can see...

More info to come soon

Randall

post-6897-0-43034700-1443732821_thumb.jpg

Hi again...

The Swansea exhibition was hailed a success by exhibitors, visitors and traders alike. Swansea Council were also delighted with the footfall (3000 passed through the doors). South Dock was presented as a static exhibit.

I promised more information on Carl O'Connors swing bridge...

It is made of stainless steel, cut (believe it or not) by high pressure WATERjet.

Carl had intended to assemble the bits by using a TIG welder (whatever that is) but it broke and he had to so the job with a MIG welder (I've heard of those).

Carl is the father of an enthusiastic young club member (Nathan). Carl does motor repair.

I've told Carl he should branch out into O gauge bridge building as a sideline.

I would imagine there would be a queue of garden railway modellers anxious to get a bridge of the standard of Carl's swing bridge.

Randall

Further to the development of South Dock, another building central to the layout is the Pump House...this used to house the Hydraulic Pump that swung the bridge.

Another laser cut model by James Claypole.

The building (except the chimney) still stands and is now a pub/restaurant.

Randall

post-6897-0-19142500-1444346899_thumb.jpg

The Pump House didn't just power the swing bridge, but also would have supplied hydraulic power for all the cranes and powered capstans around the dock estate, along with lifts in multi-storied warehouses. This explains the size of it; a much smaller example can be found at North Dock, Llanelli, adjacent to the main line.

These are lovely models of some of the dock buildings; when I visit the Reverend Lewis, I'll have to drop down and have a look. I remember the area around the docks back in the 1960s, when a lot of the associated railways were still extant; one moment you were on the modern road from Jersey Marine, the next you were bouncing over cobbles.

Archived