Goods Yard - DAS Clay question

Hi all,

I need some advice when it comes to the application and weathering of DAS Clay.

I have tried on a small spare piece of track, pressing down the clay between sleepers then stippling with a toothbrush, but now am at a total loss.

I have a few questions -

1. The clay has left a white powder on the sleepers, is there any way of removing this without having to re-weather sleepers?

2. How should I go about colouring the clay? I have the recommended colours (oatmeal, black and white) but am not sure how to apply. Should i be dry brushing on the paint?

3. Should I be painting just the clay, leaving the sleepers unpainted (be previously weathered) then adding weathering powder to the whole area after?

Many thanks in advance, any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

post-25575-0-94104500-1430756958.jpg

Adam,

Once it has completely dried, I would suggest a soft toothbrush to remove the powder that is left, like you have.

There was an article in (I think, Model rail) by Chris Nevard on doing this.

I will eagerley await to see more responses, as it is how I will be doing in the station area on my layout as well!

Khris

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies. I plan to use Ash ballast on other areas of my layout. I'm modelling a yard.

The image below is from Chris Nevard and his great blog http://nevardmedia.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/creating-effect-of-ash-ballast.html

This is the effect I'm looking for...

attachicon.gif120312_polbrock_DSC_2318_WEB.jpg

I think it is quite an effective way of getting something representative of a yard surface - ordinary ballast was unusual in such places and the usual sort of surface would be either compacted ground and quite likely tarmac where road vehicles worked.  thus it would be fairly fine grained when reduced to 4mm scale.

Jinty,

You asked about removing the excess from the sleeper tops - now that it is dry, you may find that a light scrub with a small stiff brush will bring it off.  What I like about DAS as opposed to plaster filler is that it cleans off more easily from areas where it is unwanted.  Alternatively, a rub with a damp cloth may do it.

Harold.

Chris Nevard's technique is the best i've seen so far and it's the route I'm going to take when i come to doing my loco shed. I'll follow your thread carefully because I'd too

like to know the answers to the questions you asked. Best of luck with your model Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived