New BachFarish N gauge 08 shunter - DCC sound

cromptonnut

Just thinking ahead towards future purchases and I note the BR blue BachFarish 08, which I've been waiting for, is now apparently out (at least according to the Kernow Models weekly email).

I know DCC sound in N is tricky, particularly in older Farish models (which I have plenty), but I wondered whether it was possible to fit a sound chip into the new style 08.

Or is there just absolutely no room? I remember how hard it was in my Bachmann OO gauge '08'.

I may consider regular DCC (as I have the equipment, just need the chips) but sound would have been a bonus.

Has anyone achieved the impossible? It seems the 08 is not even DCC ready, which for a new modern model is a surprise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just thinking ahead towards future purchases and I note the BR blue BachFarish 08, which I've been waiting for, is now apparently out (at least according to the Kernow Models weekly email).

I know DCC sound in N is tricky, particularly in older Farish models (which I have plenty), but I wondered whether it was possible to fit a sound chip into the new style 08.

Or is there just absolutely no room? I remember how hard it was in my Bachmann OO gauge '08'.

I may consider regular DCC (as I have the equipment, just need the chips) but sound would have been a bonus.

Has anyone achieved the impossible? It seems the 08 is not even DCC ready, which for a new modern model is a surprise.

Hi,

I have fitted a lenz silver mini to one and that was a Very tight fit. It is possibly just takes a little time to do it.

They only way to fit sound to one would be to have a wagon permantly connected to it to house the chip and speaker.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I have fitted a lenz silver mini to one and that was a Very tight fit. It is possibly just takes a little time to do it.

They only way to fit sound to one would be to have a wagon permantly connected to it to house the chip and speaker.

Cheers

Simon

You're not going top give up that easily are you Simon?blink.gif

• RMweb Gold

You're not going top give up that easily are you Simon?blink.gif

Hi Paul,

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif you know me, but when they make a sound chip small enough and a speaker to match i will install it but till then the wagon is possibly the only route to have sound with the 08.

cheers

Simon

Even with an attached wagon it's not clear you can do it with current chips - at least if using a prototype wagon. Same problem with the 04. The smallest available speakers will just about fit but the actual sound decoders are too big to hide in the loco or in a 10ft w/b wagon as thy were used with.

Archived