Little Hampton, New Layout, My First

Cutchie

Hi,

If i may add to that, when joining the track there is no need to remove the sleepers, just use a knife/scalpal to remove the rail chairs ( the small plastic lugs 'clamping' the rails, there are 4 per sleeper, 1 each side of each rail) this detatches the rail from the sleeper allowing fishplates to be slid onto the rail with the sleeper is still attatched to the others by the webbing. This saves any need to glue individual sleepers in place and the spacing should be near enough right as it's still spaced by the webbing.

(Finally, for anyone doing N gauge with code 55 peco finescale, you do need to remove the sleepers at the ends when joining track as the rail is embedded in the sleeper, the gaps are then filled with the cosmetic sleepers peco sell seperately.)

BTW I don't think anyone should be telling anyone else that they have to go DCC, not on this forum anyway, it is an option but not the only option, conventional DC is still alive and well and i personally find it more interesting to operate 'the old way'. Ok DCC has its advantages with sound, lights etc especially when doing modern image, but on the other hand it is more expensive than DC so you have to decide whether it's worth it? Whatever you choose at the end of the day the decision is yours so don't let anyone tell you you HAVE to do YOUR layout any particular way. There is always more than one way to do things and there are plenty of knowledgable people on here that can offer advise, personal experiences, pro's/con's for products etc so don't hesitate to ask!

Hope this help, and good luck with the layout!

Best regards, Richard

.......Watch yer fingers.... :lol:

Hi

Of course its your layout and you get to decide what control system to use but DCC does have more 'play value' with lights and sounds etc,also you can control everything from your controller like point motors,lighting,and other accessories when previously you would need to build a control panel with dozens of switches.DC is good for steam age layouts where most new offerings (especially steam) have no lights and unless there is sound DCC doesnt have the same benefits.The choice is yours. :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Of course its your layout and you get to decide what control system to use but DCC does have more 'play value' with lights and sounds etc,also you can control everything from your controller like point motors,lighting,and other accessories when previously you would need to build a control panel with dozens of switches.DC is good for steam age layouts where most new offerings (especially steam) have no lights and unless there is sound DCC doesnt have the same benefits.The choice is yours. :)

Yep i'd totally agree that there are many more advantages using DCC on modern image layouts than steam. Personally i prefer to have a control panel as it is logical to me and i don't have to remember point numbers etc, and its a lot cheaper!) but that is just my opinion and i can see why others prefer to just have once controller that does everything as with DCC.

Cheers, Richard

• 3 weeks later...

It looks Quite a good plan but just a thought Might there not be a few to-many sidings at the bottom section? I don't know how much you want to have operation over scenery but this looks like it might get dangerously close to just lots of track on a board, which if that's you thing then that's alright. I have highlighted the part of the track plan where I would remove all or some of the sidings which would give an area in the center for scenery and would also cut down on costs as it would reduce the amount of points, but the again I am bias as I like the scenery on a railway.

Untitled.png

Yep i'd totally agree that there are many more advantages using DCC on modern image layouts than steam. Personally i prefer to have a control panel as it is logical to me and i don't have to remember point numbers etc, and its a lot cheaper!) but that is just my opinion and i can see why others prefer to just have once controller that does everything as with DCC.

Cheers, Richard

Yes given the cost of points decoders and the fact that when I went digital I had all my analogy points levers around I kept the old point control and used DCC for my trains which given I like to us the old system for me it's the best of both.

Hi guys iv been playing around with the plan on photoshop ;) this is what i have come up with

post-7749-127134254141_thumb.jpg

i have removed one set of sidings as suggested and i have also removed one of the stations and the line to it, tell me what you think please guys.

Dan :D

Hi Daniel,

Firstly, welcome to the hobby! There's no turning back now, you know!

Second, have you considered what you're going to do with the scenery? I'd suggest that you hide part of it in a tunnel or something, to get away from the roundy-roundy look.

Looking forward to seeing this layout develop.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Firstly, welcome to the hobby! There's no turning back now, you know!

Hello Waverly West, :) thanks for the welcome and just between me and you i have no intentions whatsoever about turning back,i have wanted my model railway for aslong as i can remember :)

Second, have you considered what you're going to do with the scenery? I'd suggest that you hide part of it in a tunnel or something, to get away from the roundy-roundy look.

I havent really thought about the scenery as of yet, but i am playing around with the plan on photoshop toying with what buildings go where and that kind of stuff, i shall upload the plan when i think it is acceptable ;)

also could you please suggest where to put the tunnel, personally i would put it based on the plan above, on the left hand side approaching the platform. what do you think of that idea?

Thanks

Daniel

Hello Waverly West, smile.gif thanks for the welcome and just between me and you i have no intentions whatsoever about turning back,i have wanted my model railway for aslong as i can remember smile.gif

[/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

I havent really thought about the scenery as of yet, but i am playing around with the plan on photoshop toying with what buildings go where and that kind of stuff, i shall upload the plan when i think it is acceptable wink.gif

also could you please suggest where to put the tunnel, personally i would put it based on the plan above, on the left hand side approaching the platform. what do you think of that idea?

Thanks

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

How about putting it on the right hand side? That way you would probably only have to shorten/realign, or possibly sacrifice, the one siding. I'm not sure of the dimensions but I doubt you could get a tunnel in on the left and those sidings.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Daniel,

I agree with Dave that a tunnel would be a nice addition as it helps to blend the railway into the surrounding scenery. If you do this, take care that you have plenty of clearance inside though. I have also seen some modellers add holes to the baseboard under the tunnel in case of a derailment.

As for a DCC control system, I like your thinking about a Multimaus being compatible with your friends' Lenz. I've not used a Multimaus myself, but I have heard good things about it. I believe the red one cannot read CVs, which is a feature I find useful.

NCE's powercab is the other option in a similar price range. It can read CVs but is not compatible with Lenz.

Either system is a completely different experience from your Select. Maybe you could try one or both out at a show?

The framework for your baseboards looks quite robust, so you're off to a good start.

hi guys, thanks for your comments!!

Dave do you think that the siding on the right could be moved to the left hand side and be fitted into the gap between the 1st and 2nd ones up? or should i remove it completely ??

Thanks for your suggestions guys, id be lost with out you lot :D :D rolleyes.gif

I'm not Dave, but yes, I do think that siding would fit between the two over the other side.

It would also mean you could get away without the double slip. I am not a fan of double slips & they are expensive but...

You would lose your head shunt. If you wanted to shuffle a few freight wagons, you would have to use the main line. This is usually avoided if at all possible.

I'm not Dave, but yes, I do think that siding would fit between the two over the other side.

It would also mean you could get away without the double slip. I am not a fan of double slips & they are expensive but...

You would lose your head shunt. If you wanted to shuffle a few freight wagons, you would have to use the main line. This is usually avoided if at all possible.

Yep, keeping the headshunt would definitely be preferable. As much as anything it would enable you to leave the mainline trains running while you play in the yard. Maybe the curve of the siding on the right could be made sharper (or shorter?). There are other ways of breaking up a roundy-roundy layout of course, like a bridge or a cutting in the side of a hill or, even better, both. That wouldn't require such major 'earthworks' and could be fitted in a smaller space, enabling you to keep the headshunt siding perhaps.

Cheers,

Dave

Ok dave thanks for the advice i will have a play around with it on photoshop :D

also thanks to Pete The Elaner i hope you dont think i was being rude buy just addressing dave mellow.gif

Thanks to all the Very Helpful And Useful comments

Dan

• 3 years later...

Archived