BR Mk1 "Executive" livery charter sets.

Hi folks. I'm thinking of making a charter train using mk1 coaches for a bit of variety. I would just like to ask a few question before I go any further.

First off is the formation. Now I know from various searches that they could be quite lengthy trains so I will need to compromise but my thought is:

BCK, FO, RBR, FO, FO, RBR, FO hauled by an RES 47.

Would this be a good compromise?

Secondly is regarding the FO coaches. I don't have any, but have FK's so was planning on using them, was it only FO's used in these sets?

Lastly is the painting. As far as I can tell I will need to paint the roof white, axle boxes yellow, springs red, blue for the rod thingy (torsion rod?) and white wheel rims. Because I'm using Bachmann coaches I'll need to change the InterCity branding for the executive style lettering. Have I got this right?

As always, any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Presumably you are limited by the size of your layout

There were different rakes, based on the type of tour

The longer tours (at least two days) would actually be two rakes joined together

One half would be sleepers and the other half the day coaches with one Kitchen car

The shorter tours (one day) would pretty much be what you have suggested, but with two Kitchen cars

Therefore there is not really any need for the second RBR

You might also want to look at replacing the BCK with a Mark 2 BFK

With respect to Mark 1 FK in InterCity livery, the only time I ever saw these was on the Euston - Stirling Motorail

Edited by mjkerr

With respect to Mark 1 FK in InterCity livery, the only time I ever saw these was on the Euston - Stirling Motorail

Like this:

post-1525-0-02332700-1500838855_thumb.jpg

Apologies for poor quality, it's a photo of a photo! (Mi scanner is broken with a capital 'F ')

Though I did think that the ' C ' suffix indicated it was part of the charter fleet.

Edited by leopardml2341

LandCruiser, that was the name I was after!

Couple of photographs of one such working at Waverley, as mjkerr mentions above, this one has a substantial sleeper portion

If you assume each FO has 42 passengers and each Sleeper has 13 berths, you can see that if most passengers are not sharing you need about three sleepers just for that one FO

Hence why the tour was so expensive

Luckily the majority of passengers would travel in groups of two or four

If the passenger loading allowed, then one sleeper could be dropped from the consist

Edited by mjkerr

LandCruiser, that was the name I was after!

If you assume each FO has 42 passengers and each Sleeper has 13 berths, you can see that if most passengers are not sharing you need about three sleepers just for that one FO

Hence why the tour was so expensive

Luckily the majority of passengers would travel in groups of two or four

If the passenger loading allowed, then one sleeper could be dropped from the consist

I recall the Land Cruise train with 7 Mk.1s and 6 Mk.3 sleepers

It's likely that the first class Mk1 rakes were repainted in swallow livery (as oposed to executive style branding) before the first 47 came out in full RES livery - possibly it would be OK with the initial red parcels livery on the 47s.