The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

For those who like cruise ships (and I am afraid that I am not a fan although I can appreciate the ingenuity and engineering)…

IMG_3831.jpeg.c52cd4fea755c3cbb8c7a5842dee356e.jpeg

Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas (whatever that may mean) alongside in Victoria Harbour, Vancouver Island. She is currently on the Alaska cruise circuit. 

Vancouver Island is an exceptionally beautiful and wild place. We spent ten days camping in various spots on the island (& in the neighbouring Gulf Islands). It wasn’t nearly enough time.

PS With many thanks to @J. S. Bach, I have corrected the link in my 7 September post so that the image now shows correctly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flanged Wheel said:

For those who like cruise ships (and I am afraid that I am not a fan although I can appreciate the ingenuity and engineering)…

IMG_3831.jpeg.c52cd4fea755c3cbb8c7a5842dee356e.jpeg

Royal Caribbean’s Quantum of the Seas (whatever that may mean) alongside in Victoria Harbour, Vancouver Island. She is currently on the Alaska cruise circuit. 

Vancouver Island is an exceptionally beautiful and wild place. We spent ten days camping in various spots on the island (& in the neighbouring Gulf Islands). It wasn’t nearly enough time.

PS With many thanks to @J. S. Bach, I have corrected the link in my 7 September post so that the image now shows correctly.

Likewise. It looks like one of those massive skyscrapers that get built in the Middle East has fallen over.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

18 hours ago, johnofwessex said:

I was looking at this picture of the fire that destroyed MV Bermuda in Castle Harbour

image.png.6ae2e78e36eb025544c848154cb377e3.png

O ne of them is a paddle tug.

Does anyone either 

1. Know anything about this ship, and/or

2. How did she get to Bermuda, and what happened to her at the end of her career?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Bermuda

Of interest to me is that following the loss of this ship after a second fire while being rebuilt, Furness Withy built two liners, the 'Monarch of Bermuda' and the 'Queen of Bermuda'. My Grandfather was an engineer on both these ships, eventually serving as Chief Engineer. He died of a heart attack in New York while still serving onboard the latter.

Ironically the Monarch was burned out in drydock after WW2 while being refitted from a troopship and was rebuilt as an emigrant ship the 'New Australia'.

• Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, 5944 said:

Likewise. It looks like one of those massive skyscrapers that get built in the Middle East has fallen over.

I just think of the poor crew who have to clean the thing up after an outbreak of noro virus.

Cheers,

David

• Agree 2

On 17/09/2023 at 19:38, The Johnster said:

The modern version of Masefield's 'dirty British coaster'.

Cargoes

Quinquireme of Nineveh from distant Ophir,

Rowing home to haven in sunny Palestine,

With a cargo of ivory,

And apes and peacocks,

Sandalwood, cedarwood, and sweet white wine.

Stately Spanish galleon coming from the Isthmus,

Dipping through the Tropics by the palm-green shores,

With a cargo of diamonds,

Emeralds, amethysts,

Topazes, and cinnamon, and gold moidores.

Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack,

Butting through the Channel in the mad March days,

With a cargo of Tyne coal,

Road-rails, pig-lead,

Firewood, iron-ware, and cheap tin trays.

John Masefield

When my father was at school in the twenties and thirties they had to learn poems - he could still recite them from memory up until his very last day when he has ninety-one. 

In class one day the master got each boy to recite a line but one boy hadn't learned it all and at the critical line his neighbour prompted "Pig sh!t" which he said to much uproar - "Come to the front, bend over"...

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Adam88 said:

When my father was at school in the twenties and thirties they had to learn poems -

In class one day the master got each boy to recite a line but one boy hadn't learned it all and at the critical line his neighbour prompted "Pig sh!t" which he said to much uproar - "Come to the front, bend over"...

Ah! Yes.  I remember those days in the 1950s.

• RMweb Premium

One of the Nissan car carriers, several of the big automotive manufacturers have their own vehicle carrier companies, often as part of joint ventures with shipping companies who can look after the operational side. I think Nissan are the majority shareholder in their vehicle carrier JV with Mitsui OSK. This looks a much older ship than it is to me, built in 2011.

Car64.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

What about the workers?! Newhaven has regular visits from dredgers, partly to maintain the waterway for the ferry to Dieppe and partly to feed the rail-served South Quay Aggregates Terminal. Sospan Dau and Britannia Beaver have been frequent visitors, but there are at least four or five more, that have docked there over the last few years.

Dredger Britannia Beaver discharging shingle - Newhaven Harbour - 18 4 2023.jpg

Dredgers Sospan Dau & Britannia Beaver off Newhaven  9 10 2022.jpg

• Like 5

15 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Are they congregating for a world-wide ugly contest? I will say that the Quantum mentioned above leads the pack with the Seashore coming in a very close second!

Not only are they ugly looking,  the names of ships these days  'have no class or style'  imo.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

During a recent trip to the Baltics, we had time to wander around a couple of the ports on the Lithuanian and Latvian coasts.

In Lithuania, we stopped at Klaipeda – until 1920, part of East Prussia and known as Memel. Ignoring the cruise ship that was blotting out the sun, these three might be of interest, although I can offer little by way of additional information. The minesweeper has, I think been decommissioned and is a former German Navy Lindau class. The black boat looks like a fast patrol boat of some kind with its planing hull form.

Klaipeda3.JPG.cf1c739e72ac10dd1e7dc44a51aa1287.JPG

Klaipeda2.JPG.91406465b6318e434c655dde13a12ba7.JPG

Klaipeda4.JPG.b539661f0ec2ac53023919514ed3e04c.JPG
Best wishes

Eric 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Fashions and styles.  I agree that Cutty Sark, Thermopalae, even Golden Hinde (Drake took the first opportunity he could to ditch the ridiculous Pelican), all the way back to the Argo, had a ring to them, but there were some pretty uninspiring names back in the day as well.  HMS Pickle, which carried Nelson's remains home from Trafalgar, HMS Beagle, meh.  I was first aware of the current fashion of naming ships after your company, Maersk xxx, Ever xxx, from the Esso and Regent tankers.  Naming is a commercial thing nowadays, and the cruise ships seem to be very much the result of marketing initiatives.  Inevitable I suppose. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ship names are a minefield. I never realised how difficult it was until a fellow who was connected to how P&O named their ships spoke to me about it many years ago. Given ships trade internationally one consideration is to check whether a proposed name is either directly or can be corrupted to sound like something profane, insulting or unfortunate in languages of ports the ship is intended to serve. If using place names it is important to check for any political sensitivities around real estate disputes and such like. Even with the practice of using company names as a prefix, my then employer chartered out one of their ships to Zim, Zim wanted to name it the Zim Barcelona but P&O held out for just Barcelona as they were worried about political issues after the ship returned to their operation in the Middle East. Hence it's often easiest to go for anodyne names, a lot of companies just use the company name with a number.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

The APL ship is 'APL Singapura', that one is quite amusing as she is registered in Singapore, so they used the Malay name (Singapura) for the ship name but the Singaporean flag uses the English name (Singapore) for the port of registration on ships which fly their flag. This is a quirk of Singapore, they have four languages, the language of administration and which is used for the international legal name for the country (the Republic of Singapore) is English, the national anthem (Majulah Singapura) is sung in Malay and with Malay, Mandarin and Tamil being official languages. It means signage can look a bit busy but works surprisingly well. Importantly, it means the three ethnic groups (Chinese, Malay and Indian) can retain their own languages and culture while having a shared identity and use English as the national common language.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Ship names are a minefield. I never realised how difficult it was until a fellow who was connected to how P&O named their ships spoke to me about it many years ago. Given ships trade internationally one consideration is to check whether a proposed name is either directly or can be corrupted to sound like something profane, insulting or unfortunate in languages of ports the ship is intended to serve. If using place names it is important to check for any political sensitivities around real estate disputes and such like. Even with the practice of using company names as a prefix, my then employer chartered out one of their ships to Zim, Zim wanted to name it the Zim Barcelona but P&O held out for just Barcelona as they were worried about political issues after the ship returned to their operation in the Middle East. Hence it's often easiest to go for anodyne names, a lot of companies just use the company name with a number.

It isnt just ships, a Japanese Light Commercial, the Little  B***r (Otherwise the word gets filtered out) has never been sold in the UK while Rolls Royce dont sell the Silver Mist in Germany where Mist means - I think Fart.

Edited by johnofwessex
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Fashions and styles.  I agree that Cutty Sark, Thermopalae, even Golden Hinde (Drake took the first opportunity he could to ditch the ridiculous Pelican), all the way back to the Argo, had a ring to them, but there were some pretty uninspiring names bccack in the day as well.  HMS Pickle, which carried Nelson's remains home from Trafalgar, HMS Beagle, meh.  I was first aware of the current fashion of naming ships after your company, Maersk xxx, Ever xxx, from the Esso and Regent tankers.  Naming is a commercial thing nowadays, and the cruise ships seem to be very much the result of marketing initiatives.  Inevitable I suppose. 

I think that Cutty Sark might cause upset in some modern ports. (Moored next to Ann Summers or Victoria's Secret ?)

Pelican had political and sponsorship aspects.

It was the only British battleship still in commission that carried Nelson's body home: in a cask of brandy if I remember coŕrectly.

Pickle went on ahead with Collingwood's despatches giving news of the victory and Nelson's death.

I liked the 18th Century classical tradtion for naming frigates then cruisers and then frigates again, thus leading to a (possibly apocryphal) signal of greeting 'At last Antelopee meets Peneloap'.

• Like 2

I remember reading a very funny article about Warship names, it suggested that for example if the Navy sent HMS Terrible whoever was going to be on the receiving end of its guns had a real problem in the days of 'send a gunboat' whereas if they sent HMS Narcissus then you were all right as firing the guns would not do anything for the sailors looks or clothes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 13:44, jjb1970 said:

The APL ship is 'APL Singapura', that one is quite amusing as she is registered in Singapore, so they used the Malay name (Singapura) for the ship name but the Singaporean flag uses the English name (Singapore) for the port of registration on ships which fly their flag. This is a quirk of Singapore, they have four languages, the language of administration and which is used for the international legal name for the country (the Republic of Singapore) is English, the national anthem (Majulah Singapura) is sung in Malay and with Malay, Mandarin and Tamil being official languages. It means signage can look a bit busy but works surprisingly well. Importantly, it means the three ethnic groups (Chinese, Malay and Indian) can retain their own languages and culture while having a shared identity and use English as the national common language.

IMHO Bahasa Melayu is used to remind the Malaysians how well Singapore has done since it broke away from Malaysia...

• Like 2