RMweb

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium
On 31/10/2023 at 06:39, jjb1970 said:

but when you look at the consortium which includes Wallenius Wilhelmsen

Crikey that awoke a memory.  Bibby's built three 'car carriers' Cheshire/Berkshire/Oxfordshire in the early 70's for charter to WW IIRC.  Dad stood by building of the Cheshire and Berkshire as 2/E/O so I was at the launch etc as a teen.  They were really bulk carriers with folding car decks as the modern configuration had not been thought up back then!  

27973297_2009366775943940_9159038192002161990_n.jpg.2a25dc004abca8df17c14fae7aae9a0f.jpg

27973469_2009366665943951_2168192934953339547_n.jpg.1c518018e4ed5a8fbd52e5a021187bfa.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Crikey that awoke a memory.  Bibby's built three 'car carriers' Cheshire/Berkshire/Oxfordshire in the early 70's for charter to WW IIRC.  Dad stood by building of the Cheshire and Berkshire as 2/E/O so I was at the launch etc as a teen.  They were really bulk carriers with folding car decks as the modern configuration had not been thought up back then!  

27973297_2009366775943940_9159038192002161990_n.jpg.2a25dc004abca8df17c14fae7aae9a0f.jpg

27973469_2009366665943951_2168192934953339547_n.jpg.1c518018e4ed5a8fbd52e5a021187bfa.jpg

Why, when I read the name "Berkshire" do I think of this?

7313273316_836c3aae37_b.jpg.4e400908ed428d19b6c2d759c5468d04.jpg

36e3ec50047cb9b12369ef4a13440471.jpg.17ad07f97053a474d7018d4431b57599.jpg

The future buk ships?

• Round of applause 1

On 25/10/2023 at 15:15, jjb1970 said:

I still don't know why vehicle carriers are almost all designed to go alongside Stbd side to the berth. I have asked naval architects with several of the big vehicle carrier operators and had the same answer - 'good question, I've no idea, they just are'. There doesn't appear to be a regulation, it's more of a convention thing. Something you can see in the view from directly ahead of Glorious Ace is the unusual asymmetric arrangement for the mooring system, which wouldn't make sense on other ship types but is perfectly sensible for car carriers because they're designed to go alongside on one side only (other ships will go Port or Stbd side to depending on what the terminal wants and local conditions).

I've been dealing with car carriers at Royal Portbury and Southampton for the last three years or so (makes a change from box boats) and asked one of the FOs this. Apparently it makes the load planning and weight distribution easier.  As the vehicles always board the vessel from the same side (some vessel also have side loading ramps as well as the main stern ramp) how they cross the vessel from side to side and form up on deck is more predictable and can be planned for to keep the vessel in balance.

It also helps as if there's a vessel change the order vehicles are parked on the quay side doesn't have to be changed. It would if vessels could be either left or right side loading.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I can see why they are designed for loading on one side only (it also reduces cost of design, construction and equipment) but why Stbd? There have been vehicle carriers with Port side ramps but now I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't Stbd side. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/11/2023 at 11:36, Sidecar Racer said:

'Mr Christian, why have you taken the sails down'? 

'They were dry, sir'

'How long have you been on this ship, Mr Christian'?

'Two years before the mast, sir'!

'Nonsense, you mutinous dog, the mast's always been there'!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

On 04/11/2023 at 03:00, jjb1970 said:

I can see why they are designed for loading on one side only (it also reduces cost of design, construction and equipment) but why Stbd? There have been vehicle carriers with Port side ramps but now I can't remember the last time I saw one that wasn't Stbd side. 

That bit I can't answer! I'll ask next time I'm on board if I remember.

The only thing I can think of is the propellor(s) coming out of the water and tripping on overspeed.  This would cause loss of propulsion/steering so the vessel would end up beam on to the seas and would roll considerably until propulsion was restarted.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, chipbury said:

The only thing I can think of is the propellor(s) coming out of the water and tripping on overspeed.  This would cause loss of propulsion/steering so the vessel would end up beam on to the seas and would roll considerably until propulsion was restarted.

In 2019  a liner suffered power failure off Norway. IIRC this was later attributed to the main engine's lub oil pumps losing suction due to a combination of the ship listing and the oil level being low. This resulted in the engine being tripped by the safety shut downs. There are requirements regarding the angle of list that machinery should be capable of tolerating, but sometimes circumstances overcome them.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, JeremyC said:

In 2019  a liner suffered power failure off Norway. IIRC this was later attributed to the main engine's lub oil pumps losing suction due to a combination of the ship listing and the oil level being low. This resulted in the engine being tripped by the safety shut downs. There are requirements regarding the angle of list that machinery should be capable of tolerating, but sometimes circumstances overcome them.

I remember reading about this - I seem to recall that the sumps were being kept deliberately low for some reason (which turned out to be a bad idea!).

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Nor me, so I'll tell you a story about highly automated technical engine control systems on ships,  This happened about 20 years ago, and I had occasion to come home from a trip to Ireland on the Stena fast catermaran from Dun Loughaire to Holyhead; I'd never been on one of these before and while I was impressed with the technology, would prefer a proper ship any time...  But I was enjoying my adventure, out on the stern balcony with the smokers (only place it's allowed on these vessels) watching Dublin and the Wicklows falling away behind in the evening light and noticing in the very prominent wake how the satnav corrected our course every 60 seconds to compensate for wind/current offset.  Uneventful, until we cleared inside the breakwaters at Holyhead, and powered down.

It went very quiet.  Engines, airco, anything that made that sort of noise, didn't.  We had electricity, though.  Took about 50 minutes to reboot the system, during which we'd been blown over to the eastern side of the harbour and lost our slot at the berth; a couple of small tugs turned up to hold us off the beach.  Progress, eh?

So the overspeeding propeller cutout and reset is an entirely plausible explanation for the broaching.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

I've no idea what power and propulsion system the Spirit of Discovery has but it's a modern ship and most modern cruises are diesel electric. Diesel electric or direct drive the engines are almost certainly digitally controlled common rail types (as they're needed to achieve efficiency and emissions requirements) and response to propellor load fluctuations should be managed fine. I was on ships with old fashioned camshaft engines which managed to regulate shaft speed perfectly well with the props emerging in very heavy seas though admittedly there's a lot of inertia on big slow speed engines with large diameter heavy props.

Really, it could be anything. Viking Sky was the ship which lost all power because the oil sumps were lower than necessary and caused pumps to lose suction and drop oil pressure in heavy weather. Not great and a pretty basic thing.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

While captioning some photos of HMS Alliance, taken at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport, I noticed the proliferation of cigarettes and matches in the messes. So I went to look up the regulations. I came across this Hansard report from 1951, in which Royal Navy officers are complaining about restrictions and lack of clear guidance in the regulations on the issue of tobacco products. One was a Surgeon Lieutenant Commander encouraging smoking. How times have changed!

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1951/jun/21/royal-navy-duty-free-goods

HMS Alliance cramped catering Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

HMS Alliance passing the time Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

HMS Alliance HMS Affray memorial Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
error in caption
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

While captioning some photos of HMS Alliance, taken at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport, I noticed the proliferation of cigarettes and matches in the messes. So I went to look up the regulations. I came across this Hansard report from 1951, in which Royal Navy officers are complaining about restrictions and lack of clear guidance in the regulations on the issue of tobacco products. One was a Surgeon Lieutenant Commander encouraging smoking. How times have changed!

https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1951/jun/21/royal-navy-duty-free-goods

HMS Alliance cramped catering Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

HMS Alliance HMS Affray memorial Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

HMS Alliance passing the time Gosport 29 8 2017.jpg

My late uncle served much of his National Service on Alliance.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My late uncle served much of his National Service on Alliance.

There are more photos of Alliance in the other, photo-sharing, website that I use. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/499693/@/page:7:18

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

A big heavy lift ship, no idea what the cargo is, looks like it might be part of an offshore structure.

Heavy18.jpg

I suspect part of a large crane boom.  Possibly the upper part with the tip hidden from sight (this would explain why it's carried on stands above the main deck).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Singaporean Navy OPV (or as they say her - littoral mission vessel) Indomitable today. Despite the small size of Singapore and quite a big navy given it is such a tiny place the navy really isn't that visible. Not like the air force which is a constant presence.

RSN LST.JPG

• Like 1