Quahog Lumber Co.

Guest 009matt

Guest 009matt

Hi there folks!

Here is a second entry from me for the challenge. I am getting a little dismayed with british 009 so will probably sell the Boathouse layout after the challenge, but I have been collecting some 0n30 stuff. The layout is called Quahog (from that well known cartoon) and is the terminus of a long logging line that extends through the countryside. The line climbs very rapidly from the station, hence the switchback (done for operating potential and aesthetics.) The plan is a mirror image of one in a book called The big book of model railroad track plans kindly loaned to me by BenR. The line will be run by 2 shays and a porter. Will be dcc controlled as usual. Set in 1920's USA. There will be the opening of a sawmill, but that will be all, an opening. Having read lots of NG&SL Gazettes, the full size would take up the layout. AS I am in O scale, the fiddle yard doesn't count towards the challenge size. Totals at 1980 square inches.

Enjoy

quahogcopy.jpg

Guest 009matt

Getting dismayed with 009? Am I hearing that right? ;)

Must admit I'm not a great fan of USA practices, but I'm sure with your talent you'll turn it into something nice. What brought this idea around?

How will operation work?

Jam :)

just british 009. I look atthe stuff that club members run rtr with no problems and want some of that - hence my H0e mariazellerbahn layout. The USA stuff just looks cool, the shays in particular.

The layout will have the high level off stage bit. This will be the rest of the world - in this case, the tree felling area. Also, there will be smaller lumber villages along the way, so some passenger movements will be in order.

Because of the dramatic change in levels, the zig zag arrangement had to be employed (bit of fluff reasoning) this will allow a lot of movements and shunting, ending st the sawmill and station.

Matt

Guest 009matt

operating sequence to keep me busy

#1 shay parked in station, taking on water, crew having root beer

#3 shay enters hauling log cars, uncouples in loop, runs round and pushes them into lower sawmill siding. (off scene cassette).

#1 shay leaves platform and picks up empty log cars in upper sawmill siding. Now climbs to fiddle yard.

#2 porter enters from fiddle yard with passenger stock and enters station.

#3 shay shunts empty log cars into upper sawmill siding, releases and pulls passenger cars out from station and pushes them into the loop, then uncouples and waits in other loop. (logs have been hand craned to the FY)

#2 porter reverses, picks up coaches and leaves for fiddle yard

#3 now parks up in station for water and root beer

#1 shay enters hauling log cars, uncouples in loop, runs round and pushes them into lower sawmill siding. (off scene cassette).

#3 shay leaves platform and picks up empty log cars in upper sawmill siding. Now climbs to fiddle yard.

#2 porter enters from fiddle yard with passenger stock and enters station.

#1 shay shunts empty log cars into upper sawmill siding, releases and pulls passenger cars out from station and pushes them into the loop, then uncouples and waits in other loop.

#2 porter reverses, picks up coaches and leaves for fiddle yard

Start again

Comments, thoughts etc are appreciated

there willalso be a caboose or 2 to contend with and if I convert a coach into a doodlebug, I can have the porter shunting other wagons

• 1 month later...
Guest 009matt

Quick update - East Hants is on ebay to make some space. I will keep the Port Solent and will post images at some point. Quahog has nearly had its baseboards completed, with track wiring going in soon! Pics later. Size has changed - 8' x 18" so within requirements, with a small fidxdle yard. I have had to ditch railway over railwaybridge in favour of trestlesover water due to stupendous gradients that were to have been required.

Matt

I hate to say it but Bachmann On30 Shays are not at their best running downhill, they tend to hunt. Apparently it's to do with the way the drive is set up. Stunning up hill or on the flat though. Do a search on your usual search engine and you will find various suggestions to help with this problem. Last time I looked though no sign of a regear cure, but I stand to be corrected. See if you can borrow a Shay to see if it troubles you.

Regards John.

Guest 009matt

I havw 2 shays, I will check and see. Incline very shallow - about 3" over 6 feet. 1:24 is gradient or 4%

• 2 months later...
Guest 009matt

Well, the plan has changed slightly, in that the line no longer passes underneath - grades would have been too severe. I landscaped the main contours before tracklaying commenced

Track was laid,wired, tested and ballasted.

I then sprayed everything with a beige spray from focus. The track, after the paint dried was washed with a thin wash of 33 matt black.

The rails were painted a muddy brown colour. I have now taken a broom handle, cut it into sections, roughed it up with a rasp and attached them to the baseboard. These will form part of the engineering work for the fascia panel. The bridge is constructed from wooden coffee stirrers and more dowelling. The river is deluxe solid water.

The last thing I did before posting this was to sprinkle some skalescenics dull green foam on the front edge of the board. Im pleased with the effect so far. Oh, did I mention the trex skeleton?

Sorry about pic quality - from mobile in dim light!

070820101063.jpg

080820101066.jpg

080820101069.jpg

080820101071.jpg

080820101073.jpg

080820101074.jpg

080820101075.jpg

080820101076.jpg

Seems like no-one wants to comment on my thread (I know you do John!)

Don't get paranoid, Riff!

BTW: does that make me a no-one?

OK Tongue now surgically removed from cheek:

Looks like you're making good progress and I'm looking forward to being 'trained' on it in readiness for ExpoNG. What you've achieved in such a short time either means you're doing a Meat Loaf impersonation (Bat out of Hell) or have too much free time :rolleyes: :lol: . What you've achieved in the time it's taken me to half-wire a small layout and modify a gradient certainly puts me to shame!

How's the errant loco?

Guest 009matt

JDMJ - Not looked at the loco yet. Too much spare time - I wish :lol:

SRS- Thanks for the comments, and you will love the layout. Also, you know deep down you want to build one, the time will come!

Trisonic - thanks for the encouragement. Sorry about the cricked neck! I am sure your avatar is missi ng an apple :lol:

Guest 009matt

More work has commenced today:

150820101165.jpg

150820101157.jpg

150820101163.jpg

150820101164.jpg

150820101155.jpg

150820101154.jpg

150820101159.jpg

Here you can see the layout progressing. The first building is a grounded baggage car that has been turned into a general store, witha wooden platform for unloading goods onto.

The water tower has been modified and had a prelim staining. I am now waiting for lots of pva to dry ready for a vacuum tomorrow and I can then commence work on the remaining buildings/structures - a loco shed, bunkhouse, 2 cabins, a cookhouse and a trestle bridge.

The layout will be populated witha variety of figures, mainly hailing from the Falcon Figures range of On30 civilians - more updates specifically on these soon.

Matt

Guest 009matt

I have been having fun today!

I purchased a raft of figures from Falcon Figures from their On30 range. They are very nicely detailed and are a good range. One of the sets was a Prospector with his mule. The prospector had a rope over his shoulder dragging the mule along. This looked fine, but I wasn't totally convinced by the way the man was walking given the stubborn pose of the mule,. I also had from the mining set a man pushing an ACME TNT detonator Wile. E. Coyote style. I had no need for one of these, but the figure was too good not to use. I assembled the rest of the figures and gave them a peg in their leg to anchor them. I put them on a spare piece of foam and sprayed them black. In the process of doing this, the TNT man rocked backwards, looking as if he was dragging something along and , well hey presto, an idea was born. I will let the pics do the talking. I also got round to charging up my proper camera battery, so you can see the layout through a decent lens. I am pleased with the results so far. I hope you will make suitable comments.

For now

Matt

21staug206.jpg

21staug207.jpg

21staug208.jpg

21staug209.jpg

21staug211.jpg

21staug212.jpg

21staug213.jpg

21staug214.jpg

21staug215.jpg

21staug217.jpg

21staug219.jpg

21staug221.jpg

21staug222.jpg

21staug225.jpg

21staug227.jpg

21staug228.jpg

21staug229.jpg

21staug231.jpg

I have only just found this thread, nice to see another On30 layout in the UK. I like the weathering on your shay.

Could you tell us more about your railbus? It appears to be a Bachmann coach with a Gnomy car for a front. I bought a few of these for On30 use, so im collecting ideas.

• RMweb Gold

Good looking layout. The figure and mule are well done. I have been tempted by 0n30 in the past, but sold most of my stock, but kept my Shay, having a soft-spot for them! Can't see me building a layout for though. Good to see a good 0n30 layout appearing.

Guest 009matt

I have only just found this thread, nice to see another On30 layout in the UK. I like the weathering on your shay.

Could you tell us more about your railbus? It appears to be a Bachmann coach with a Gnomy car for a front. I bought a few of these for On30 use, so im collecting ideas.

Thanks for the comments. I will be weathering the other locos in due course. The one you can see is drybrushed citadel 'codex grey' and 'graveyard earth' witha wash of 'badab black' to tone it all down. The bufferbeams are 'mechrite red' with a heavy wash of 'gryphonne sepia'.

I will do a part in more detail on the railbus. You are right to spot the Gnomy front end! It is a Bachmann coach with the belly taken out and a Hornby railroad HST chassis (Correct wheelbase would you believe!) that I had lying around. The gnomy car has been reduced in length but fitted perfectly. I need to add a bufferbeam/pilot and give it a lick of paint.

Good looking layout. The figure and mule are well done. I have been tempted by 0n30 in the past, but sold most of my stock, but kept my Shay, having a soft-spot for them! Can't see me building a layout for though. Good to see a good 0n30 layout appearing.

Thanls for kind comments! Hopefully You will get the oppurtunity to see it at some point.

Cheers

Matt

Archived